Prospect Info: Brad Lambert, 30th Overall, 2022 NHL Draft

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
What do you mean? Just that people will post that kind of stuff on HF?
Yeah, a subset of posters will type words to vent frustrations, another subset gets triggered by those words, and then the bickering starts (which entertains another subset of fans), and I sit back slightly amused and slightly tired of people not understanding (or not holding space for) each other's different personalities.

I wouldn't label that horrendous, personally, so maybe the post you're replying to should have used the words "I am" instead of "we are"... Much more accurate - and perhaps enlightening.

As for Lambert, I'm encouraged that he scored a goal and I'm glad he's getting this valuable experience (and I'm okay with him not getting prime minutes - more experience for him to realize he needs to put in effort to grow), but as others have implied, the more reliable metric for projecting his career will be how he adjusts to the North American game (and if he can mature in healthy ways).

Last edited:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
If he's as right about Lambert as he was about Laine. We will have a superstar on our hands.
This entire forum was head over heels for Laine early on

As for Lambert
If he was ripping it up in WJC ppl would be singing his praises and hyping him to the extreme instead of saying "don't read to much into this" etc . It's a small tournament, with usually some large talent disparity between teams.

Imo let's see how he fairs over the course of a season before creating any sort of confounding opinion on him, unless folks have watched him extensively in liiga

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Yeah, a subset of posters will type words to vent frustrations, another subset gets triggered by those words and think everyone should think the way they do, and then the bickering starts (which entertains another subset of fans), and I sit back slightly amused and slightly tired of people not understanding (or not holding space for) each other's different personalities.

I wouldn't label that horrendous, personally, so maybe the post you're replying to should have used the words "I am" instead of "we are"... Much more accurate - and perhaps enlightening.

As for Lambert, I'm encouraged that he scored a goal and I'm glad he's getting this valuable experience (and I'm okay with him not getting prime minutes - more experience for him to realize he needs to put in effort to grow), but as others have implied, the more reliable metric for projecting his career will be how he adjusts to the North American game (and if he can mature in healthy ways).
The funny thing for me is this generally IS a 19-year-old tournament. I don't think we're making excuses for him when it's usually the case year-by-year that the 19-year-olds are given the big minutes/expected to carry the load (in this case 20-year-olds because of COVID).

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
The funny thing for me is this generally IS a 19-year-old tournament. I don't think we're making excuses for him when it's usually the case year-by-year that the 19-year-olds are given the big minutes/expected to carry the load (in this case 20-year-olds because of COVID).
Yeah its August, we are bored and in need of some hope and the world juniors gets overanalyzed. Just the way things go on HF with a bunch of hardcores like we all are.

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
Kemell didn't play during 3on3 either, but guys like Joel Määttä and Oliver Kapanen got plenty of ice time. So I'm assuming coach Pennanen didn't defensively trust Lambert (or Kemell) for 3on3.

Monkey D Luffy

Go Bombers!
Nov 20, 2017
Winnipeg, MB
It seems like when Lambert makes one of his "bad passes" he gets ahead of the play and has nobody around. Should he just dump and change in these scenarios? Ya probably, but if you were Finland's coach, wouldn't it make sense to try him out with some of the more talented players and see if they can create some magic?

Reactions: hn777

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
It seems like when Lambert makes one of his "bad passes" he gets ahead of the play and has nobody around. Should he just dump and change in these scenarios? Ya probably, but if you were Finland's coach, wouldn't it make sense to try him out with some of the more talented players and see if they can create some magic?
He is now in fact playing exactly with the same linemates that he scored his 5 points with in those 2 games in that earlier cancelled U20 WJC, so I think that coach Pennanen thinks that the line should eventually work. And at the same time the two first lines have been working pretty well as they have been. Especially the 1st line has been working so well, that I don’t see a chance for Lambert getting ice time there - especially as each of that line’s players are clearly better than Lambert and they have all been more productive than him at Liiga level.

I think more reasonable would be to think that Lambert and his line should get at least a bit more of ice time maybe. So far Pennanen has been quite heavily using the 1st two lines. Especially the 1st line has had a very heavy load so far. On the other hand I think the lowish ice time of the 3rd line (Lambert’s line) has pretty much come through the line not playing too well. I would still like to see more balanced ice time, and Lambert getting more ice time as well. He hasn't been really bad, although not that good either. A bit meh, but I don’t think that he can show too much with his ice time. Also his linemates haven’t been really too good, but he himself hasn’t been great either.

Last edited:

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Oh man - we usually wait for a year or at least until he’s seen nhl ice time for this chaos to erupt…

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
Lambert seems to have already gotten himself benched twice in this tournament. Just a wild guess, but he's probably not gonna be playing anymore.

Upperdeckjet

Dec 14, 2011
I think I would like to see Lambert play on the Moose this year. This kid is going to need coaching, guidance and exposure to maturity of the older players, plus a defined structure to develop as the Jets see appropriate.

The Jets really can't afford to let someone else mishandle this pick and I see them wanting a direct hands on approach to build his game.

Also, I would definitely attend some Moose games to see that growth first hand (hopefully).

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I think I would like to see Lambert play on the Moose this year. This kid is going to need coaching, guidance and exposure to maturity of the older players, plus a defined structure to develop as the Jets see appropriate.

The Jets really can't afford to let someone else mishandle this pick and I see them wanting a direct hands on approach to build his game.

Also, I would definitely attend some Moose games to see that growth first hand (hopefully).
That would require him signing his ELC. Something that so far he has seemed unwilling to do. :popcorn:

• Wow
Reactions: snowkiddin

RustyCat

Registered homie
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
Nine Finnish goals and he is -1 on the night. I was hoping for better, but knows what is going on there.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
Well I think after this tournament, it kinda throws some water on him being a "steal" in the draft. It looks like he is gonna be long term project if we hope to see him in the NHL.

Game against Canada will be a big test... if he is actually dressed which I am not sure is even a guarantee looking at his usage.

Reactions: kylbaz

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
And 8:50 of ice time.

He needs to get out of Finland and play in NA.
He got ok ice time in the first two periods, but played way too bad - caused a goal and made too many turnovers, so the coach benched him in the 3rd period. He was today that bad, that honestly it was the right decision to bench him, although in my opinion he wasn’t this bad in the previous games, so I was hoping then that he and his line would get at least a bit more of ice time. But how he played today, there’s no way he has earned a lot of ice time.

I see it very unlikely that changing country will help him. His problems definitely are with his lack of hockey IQ and vision, so what will it change if he plays in another country? His problems are completely caused by himself and not by anyone else. And still, if he manages to after all become a very good player, I’m going to be very happy about it. I just don’t see it unfortunately at all likely to happen.

Last edited:

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
He got ok ice time in the first two periods, but played way too bad - caused a goal and made too many turnovers, so the coach benched him in the 3rd period. He was today that bad, that honestly it was the right decision to bench him, although in my opinion he wasn’t this bad in the previous games, so I was hoping then that he and his line would get at least a bit more of ice time. But how he played today, there’s no way he has earned a lot of ice time.

I see it very unlikely that changing country will help him. His problems definitely are with his lack of hockey IQ and vision, so what will it change if he plays in another country? His problems are completely caused by himself and not by anyone else. And still, if he manages to after all become a very good player, I’m going to be very happy about it. I just don’t see it unfortunately at all likely to happen.
You’ve been beating this drum relentlessly but I think the Jets will still want to get him out of Finland and to a situation where an potential external factors are minimal.

Reactions: Monkey D Luffy

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Well I think after this tournament, it kinda throws some water on him being a "steal" in the draft. It looks like he is gonna be long term project if we hope to see him in the NHL.

Game against Canada will be a big test... if he is actually dressed which I am not sure is even a guarantee looking at his usage.

It's been 3 games, I'm not projecting him as a steal or a long term project yet. Even his seemingly biggest detractor on this board is questioning the Finnish coach's decision making in regards to his deployment.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
You’ve been beating this drum relentlessly but I think the Jets will still want to get him out of Finland and to a situation where an potential external factors are minimal.
There just aren't any external factors. All has been his own doing. He just hasn’t played well for the last two years. He simply hasn’t developed, and it really seems that his success against his peers before that was because he was getting such a benefit with his skating against much slower kids with non-organized defence (especially compared to the adult’s Liiga).

There’s a clear reason why I have been beating this drum. And that reason isn’t that I dislike the kid himself, or have anything against him doing well. I have made my comments completely on the basis of how I have seen him play, and unfortunately he hasn’t looked at all that good and talented as some people still seem to think that he is.

Sure, by all means, have high expectations on him, if you feel like it. But better be prepared to be disappointed. He might become an NHL player still, but just would be wise to expect more of a bottom 6 forechecking speedster than any kind of a productive star player.

Last edited:

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
There just aren't any external factors. All has been his own doing. He just hasn’t played well for the last two years. He simply hasn’t developed, and it really seems that his success against his peers before that was, because he was getting such benefit with his skating against much slower kids with non-organized defence (especially compared to the adult’s Liiga).

There’s a clear reason why I have been beating this drum. And that reason isn’t that I dislike the kid himself, or have anything against him doing well. I have made my comments completely on the basis of how I have seen him play, and unfortunately he hasn’t looked at all that good and talented as some people still seem to think that he is.

Sure, by all means, have high expectations on him, if you feel like it. But better be prepared to be disappointed. He might become an NHL player still, but just would be wise to expect more of a bottom 6 forechecking speedster than any kind of a productive star player.

To be fair I don't think most here have been expecting a superstar (emphasis on most). I think he can be an effective 2nd line winger if he applies himself to his development. At 30th overall that would be great value for the draft position.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

I mean some where on Cole's case after a mediocre WJHC last year only for Cole to play extremely well in the AHL the back half of the year.

It's a 6 game tournament in the middle of summer. He hasn't looked great but his performance in it will not have much bearing on how he develops as a player.

But I agree that he needs some work and some confidence. Is like to see ehim in the dub where he will see a lot of the puck.

Reactions: Buffdog

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
I mean some where on Cole's case after a mediocre WJHC last year only for Cole to play extremely well in the AHL the back half of the year.

It's a 6 game tournament in the middle of summer. He hasn't looked great but his performance in it will not have much bearing on how he develops as a player.

But I agree that he needs some work and some confidence. Is like to see ehim in the dub where he will see a lot of the puck.

Cole was still nearly a PPG player in the tournament, additionally he also had a pretty good track record producing against his peer group. That is not comparable to Lambert who apparently has been benched twice in 3 games against mediocre opponents and has already landed himself into the coach's doghouse. Maybe the coach is a dumbass but still Lambert must have made quite an impression for the coach to be so against him so fast.

I am not calling him a bust or anything, just saying this tournament has been pretty disappointing for those us hoping to see him perform well against guys closer to his age group.

I agree. At this point I'd like to see him in the WHL as well unless he absolutely wows at the moose training camp.

Reactions: kylbaz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad