Prospect Info: Brad Lambert, 30th Overall, 2022 NHL Draft

MarVell

Jan 10, 2014
Oh give it a rest. The fact is, while overly pessimisstic, he’s probably more right about Lambert than the people in here. I mean, somebody just pegged him a future superstar.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
If he's as right about Lambert as he was about Laine. We will have a superstar on our hands.

The kid has all the base level attributes you'd want. Terrific skating and puck control down low. He just needs some refinement in the offensive zone. He isn't as dynamic 1 v 1 ala Ehlers and Conner but he is very good at creating space and time when he has possesion in the offensive end which is something else this team needs. Shot is better then I remember as well. He looks something like a Marian Hossa type.

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I can see some of the stuff he's going to need to work on to take the next step. He tends to hold onto the puck too long, but I feel confident that some time on the Moose will help him there.

He'll be on a team when developing him is a prime focus which I don't think he's had recently.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I can see some of the stuff he's going to need to work on to take the next step. He tends to hold onto the puck too long, but I feel confident that some time on the Moose will help him there.

He'll be on a team when developing him is a prime focus which I don't think he's had recently.

I agree, he either trys to get too fancy at times or he rushes and forces low percentage plays. He needs refinement especially in the offensive end but he has the skills and of he's open to coaching I think he learns to get the most out of his tools.

Reactions: Jet

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005

He has the issues I see with a lot of high end kids coming out of Midget into Junior. They are used to having their way with the puck but once they start playing against bigger,stronger and faster players that doesn't work as well. He does have a good eye for offense and he puts himself into positions to get the puck and he wants it all the time. I though he worked off his linemates well last night where he had a couple of bigger more direct style players to play off of.

Where ever he ends up playing I would like to see him utilize his skill and speed more to set up offensive plays instead of trying to always create them himself for himself. Less selfishness and more team play. He is so dangerous with the puck that he draws opposing players to him and can pull them out of position but he has to be able to utilize his teammates correctly especially if he wants to play in the NHL and contribute

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I don't know what he's interview his referring at. The only one I could find is the Finnish broadcasters interview. There, when asked about if Lambert got hurt of was this (that he didn't play much in the 3rd) a tactical decision. Pennanen said the following. "A bit of both. We wanted a bit more from his line-up and they weren't quite as good as we expected. Juuso Mäenpää brought a bit more reliability to that line-up. But the other story of course is that Brad has been a bit under the weather. So that's another reason he didn't play the whole time. He's a good kid, and he had a beautiful goal tonight and I'm expecting some more (goals) in the feature."

So yeah, I'd say Ippenator took some liberties with his interpretation, if this is the interview he's referring to as I believe. :)
To be honest, here is what I posted also after the game to Lambert’s thread in the prospects board. Not maybe so far from what you wrote, or was it?

Pennanen did say in an interview that Lambert did get benched. Pennanen wanted more trustworthy players to play later in the game. He also said that Lambert might not have been yet in his best form after being ill just recently, and it was also good to rest him because of that. Pennanen did give him praise for his goal though.

Flyby

Sponsor
Jan 6, 2022
Coach is obviously not a fan of Lambert. Third line, low minutes, second power play, little 3on3 time then not used for penalty shots. What up??

Reactions: Monkey D Luffy

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Coach is obviously not a fan of Lambert. Third line, low minutes, second power play, little 3on3 time then not used for penalty shots. What up??

Even Ippenator said on the main board thread that the coaching of the whole team, including Lambert, has been suspect.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
It happened to Perfetti as well. It's a 19 year old tournament and most coaches play the older players in it.
This seems to be very much the case with Finland’s coach Antti Pennanen. A very stubborn and concervative coach who favors older players over younger talents. I think a more open minded coach would have played Lambert more, and probably also picked the super talented Aron Kiviharju to the team already. He would be already clearly better than most of the defencemen he picked to the team.

Pennanen reminds me quite much of Paul Maurice in fact. Big ego as well. Btw, congratulations to the Jets (only mild ones though, as you got to deal with Bowness now) and condolences to the Panthers.

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
Oh boy, if the excuse “the coach favors older players” is already being used for Lambert because players one year older than him are playing above him then we are in for a horrendous time when he starts playing for the Jets.

Reactions: Jet

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Oh boy, if the excuse “the coach favors older players” is already being used for Lambert because players one year older than him are playing above him then we are in for a horrendous time when he starts playing for the Jets.

I personally don't extrapolate much from this tournament. How Lambert does this year wherever he ends up will tell us far more about him.

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
I personally don't extrapolate much from this tournament. How Lambert does this year wherever he ends up will tell us far more about him.
I agree you can't read too much into a short tournament and you don't want to get down if he isn't used a lot but comparing his situation to Perfetti's situation with Team Canada at the 20-21 WJC is apples and oranges.

Perfetti played 3rd line and 1st PP but he was playing as an underage on a forward group that had 14 1st round picks. Finland has two 1st rounders of which he is one and the other is Kemmell who is younger and getting more ice.

We need to go slow with Lambert, the physical tools of skating and shooting are elite, but hockey IQ, game play understanding is extremely low at this point. A year in the WHL to learn and get confidence would be the best thing for him.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I agree you can't read too much into a short tournament and you don't want to get down if he isn't used a lot but comparing his situation to Perfetti's situation with Team Canada at the 20-21 WJC is apples and oranges.

Perfetti played 3rd line and 1st PP but he was playing as an underage on a forward group that had 14 1st round picks. Finland has two 1st rounders of which he is one and the other is Kemmell who is younger and getting more ice.

We need to go slow with Lambert, the physical tools of skating and shooting are elite, but hockey IQ, game play understanding is extremely low at this point. A year in the WHL to learn and get confidence would be the best thing for him.

True enough. There is a reason he fell as far as he did. His game is very raw in the ozone and he needs a lot of refinement in that area. I agree that we are going to need to be patient with the kid and allow him to really develop those aspects of his game. This is also on Brad as well, he needs ro be receptive of coaching and development.

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016

What do you mean? Just that people will post that kind of stuff on HF?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad