Prospect Info: Brad Lambert, 30th Overall, 2022 NHL Draft

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Kid looks like his confidence is shot this game. Timid plays. He's playing not to get benched again.
Yeah he looks like a completely different player than he did a year and a half ago when he was creating opportunities every time he was on the ice.

Reactions: hn777 and surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yeah he looks like a completely different player than he did a year and a half ago when he was creating opportunities every time he was on the ice.

He started the tournament well imo but has continually seen his ice time reduced and his play has declined as well. I guess the coach just wants simple chip and chase on his fourth line.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
His teammate of the same age, Joakim Kemell, seems to be doing fine under the same coaching. Seems like a bit of stretch to blame it entirely on coaching.
Is his TOI the same?
What aobut his linemates?
Serious questions, not trying to be a smart ass.

Reactions: Fairview

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
His teammate of the same age, Joakim Kemell, seems to be doing fine under the same coaching. Seems like a bit of stretch to blame it entirely on coaching.

Different usage. One was in the top 6 and one on the fourth line. As we saw with Moe, different roles require different things.

Anyhow he hasn't played his way up the lineup but I think his coach wants a more simple game from him on line 4 where Kemell has the green light to be creative.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Is his TOI the same?
What aobut his linemates?
Serious questions, not trying to be a smart ass.
No, but coming into the season he was expected to be a top 5 pick and Kemell wasn't expected to be picked in the first round. Kemell played his way up and Lambert played his way down. They didn't start on the same team but Lambert started with much more opportunity.

Reactions: hn777

B33R LEAGUE

"Just another day at the office" -Byfuglien
May 19, 2021
Just read a post from ippenator on the world juniors board (2022 WJ Latvia vs Finland).

I quote “Lambert scored a nice goal and showed how great his skating is,but not much of anything else, and the coach Pennanen said in an interview that he didn’t feel that Lambert’s play was really convincing and trustworthy enough, so he got benched”.

Seems a little harsh if that’s what the coach said considering he was just sick
Lambert's being served a tall glass of hatorade by the coaching staff.

I thought he played pretty well in the 50 seconds I've seen him play over the past 3 games.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Bar none, If he's not in Seattle next year it's a failure on our management group IMO.

I can't imagine they want him back there. The only way it happens is if Lambert and his camp insist on it and I can't imagine they would at this stage.

Reactions: hn777

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
No, but coming into the season he was expected to be a top 5 pick and Kemell wasn't expected to be picked in the first round. Kemell played his way up and Lambert played his way down. They didn't start on the same team but Lambert started with much more opportunity.
They in fact started exactly in the same team in Finnish Liiga. Both were in the JYP Liiga team when the season started, but unfortunately their development trajectories were exactly the opposite of each others. They got pretty much the same ice time in the beginning of the season, but as Kemell started scoring right away, and was after a couple of months even leading the whole league in both goals and points (btw completely unheard of a 17 year old before) and Lambert faltered - didn’t produce and was weak defensively, it lead to his ice time gradually diminishing.

Of course he and his dad were upset of the lower ice time and poor results, and instead of just trying to play his way to better play and more ice time, they decided it was time to switch teams again. And the exactly same stuff continued in the Pelicans. Funny how some people so much want to blame others than Lambert himself. Still at the same time a gem like Kemell came from the same team and coaching that Lambert was having.

Btw, Vesalainen was a lot better than Lambert in Liiga, and I really mean A LOT. It was great to see how the almighty North American coaching helped him become a great NHL player. I’m comparing Vesalainen to Lambert because their problems are very similar. They both clearly lack hockey IQ and vision way too much to be top class players. Unfortunately you can’t much develop those if they are your biggest weaknesses. Sure, some development might happen through gaining more of experience, but don’t ever expect a star player out of a player with those kind of weaknesses.

Last edited:

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
I know this will piss off our Finnish posters but he will get better coaching on this side of the pond than he will there.
Get him over here as soon as possible.
That won't piss me off at all.
Lambert should've reported to Saskatoon immediately when they drafted him in CHL import draft.

But maybe Brad and his father thought that Brad will get 1st line role in SM liiga immediately when he asks it.
It's easy to be a after smart and so on but it's too late now when milk has fallen.

Hopefully Winnipeg Jets have good development plan for Brad as soon as this coming season ( 2022-2023 ).

Last edited:

boydkc

Aug 2, 2015
I am kind of glad the fins are busting his balls. Now if he signs with the Moose or goes to Seattle he will be motivated to light it up like never before. The kid is gifted like an Ehlers with better hands but on the right side exactly what the jets need. There is the possibility that he is still sick or injured and we don't know it but I think he is just being dicked around by the Fins.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I am kind of glad the fins are busting his balls. Now if he signs with the Moose or goes to Seattle he will be motivated to light it up like never before. The kid is gifted like an Ehlers with better hands but on the right side exactly what the jets need. There is the possibility that he is still sick or injured and we don't know it but I think he is just being dicked around by the Fins.
Yeah sure, let’s close our eyes and very much wish for something to happen. That is how good things happen isn’t it?

• Haha
Reactions: Heldig

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Yeah sure, let’s close our eyes and very much wish for something to happen. That is how good things happen isn’t it?

I think he just needs a new environment. I don't think it's a specific Finnish thing or anything just a player doesn't drop that much when it comes to talent or impact on the game because of "hockey IQ". There appears, to me at least, to be off the ice factors that are negatively impacting him right now as well. Get him out of the current environment and into a new one - if he fails there then we know, but keeping him in Finnish men's leagues and bouncing from team to team is not helping, so why continue it?

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I think he just needs a new environment. I don't think it's a specific Finnish thing or anything just a player doesn't drop that much when it comes to talent or impact on the game because of "hockey IQ". There appears, to me at least, to be off the ice factors that are negatively impacting him right now as well. Get him out of the current environment and into a new one - if he fails there then we know, but keeping him in Finnish men's leagues and bouncing from team to team is not helping, so why continue it?
I do agree that he should probably go to WHL, as Liiga level is absolutely over his head, and AHL would definitely be that as well. If he would continue still in Finland it would be probably better to play in Mestis or even A-junior’s Liiga for this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad