Bouchard gets the record for most assists by a defenseman in a playoff run.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Told ya’ll he was better than Hughes. And Heiskanen. And now this Forsling fella. Laugh-like me now, laugh-like me now. ;)

Said a year ago he had a generational clapper. He showed early this season that he had generational vision too. This guys the real deal. You don’t break records like that without being legit.

When it’s all said and done. He will be known as an ALL TIME GREAT.

Reactions: McSpecial DraiBlend

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
Fun fact:

Mike Green had 38 playoff points in his 76 game postseason career playing with arguably the best goalscorer in the history of the sport

Evan Bouchard has 32 playoff points *this run*
the comparison wasn’t meant as a slight or to say they’re on the same level. idk why a lot of you guys seem to take everything as a slight. Green also had multiple ppg or close to ppg seasons and was one of the archetypes for very productive defencemen. I meant it in so far as they are similar in that both are highly productive defencemen who based on the eye test often leave more to be desired defensively.

Last edited:
Reactions: barbu

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
Some real Rob Brown vibes.

There’s a real talent but it’s obviously enhanced with McD. No way to tell how much.
I’ll start and end this incredibly idiotic comparison by pointing out that Rob Brown wasn’t a defenseman.

Reactions: HolyHagelin

Nov 1, 2011
I’ll start and end this incredibly idiotic comparison by pointing out that Rob Brown wasn’t a defenseman.

That’s some real in depth stuff.

Rob Brown was obviously a very talented player who could generate a ton of offence but was a PPG+ guy with Lemieux and more of a 40 point guy without him.

Lemieux controlling the pace of play allowed Brown to do his thing (to the tune of 50 goals and 100+ points in a season).

Same way McDavid gains the zone and draws so much coverage down low which allows Bouchard to use his smarts to find open spaces and unleash his very effective shot + puck movement.

Not saying anyone could do what Bouchard is doing, in fact you could see where a lot of McDavid’s skills would take up the same space as Q. Hughes and Hughes doesn’t have the shot to effectively use the space that McDavid creates.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005

Rob Brown was obviously a very talented player who could generate a ton of offence but was a PPG+ guy with Lemieux and more of a 40 point guy without him.

Lemieux controlling the pace of play allowed Brown to do his thing (to the tune of 50 goals and 100+ points in a season).

Same way McDavid gains the zone and draws so much coverage down low which allows Bouchard to use his smarts to find open spaces and unleash his very effective shot + puck movement.

Not saying anyone could do what Bouchard is doing, in fact you could see where a lot of McDavid’s skills would take up the same space as Q. Hughes and Hughes doesn’t have the shot to effectively use the space that McDavid creates.
Once again, not sure you realize this or not, but Rob Brown wasn’t a defenseman.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Some real Rob Brown vibes.

There’s a real talent but it’s obviously enhanced with McD. No way to tell how much.
There's a way, but it won't fit your narrative, so you'll ignore it.

Oh, and. Do you think Paul Coffey benefited from playing with Gretzky? Guess not.

Nov 1, 2011
There's a way, but it won't fit your narrative, so you'll ignore it.

Oh, and. Do you think Paul Coffey benefited from playing with Gretzky? Guess not.

Don’t be afraid to actually say something rather than being snippy.

Seems like you’ve made two assumptions about how I think and haven’t said anything else.

For sure Coffee benefitted from playing with Gretzky then he benefitted from playing with Lemieux.

But good job trying to score points by telling me how I certainly feel.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Don’t be afraid to actually say something rather than being snippy.

Seems like you’ve made two assumptions about how I think and haven’t said anything else.

For sure Coffee benefitted from playing with Gretzky then he benefitted from playing with Lemieux.

But good job trying to score points by telling me how I certainly feel.
You can look at the performance of Bouchard while on the ice with McDavid and while not on the ice with McDavid. You can also look at the performance of McDavid while on the ice with Bouchard and while not on the ice with Bouchard. That way, you can see how they influence one another.

And yes, I'm snappy because I'm pretty tired of the narrative that anytime any Oiler does anything positive, it's never due to himself but because of McDavid. Perhaps you could watch them play sometimes so you'd see what Bouchard actually does on the ice, in case that might help.

Nov 1, 2011
You can look at the performance of Bouchard while on the ice with McDavid and while not on the ice with McDavid. You can also look at the performance of McDavid while on the ice with Bouchard and while not on the ice with Bouchard. That way, you can see how they influence one another.

And yes, I'm snappy because I'm pretty tired of the narrative that anytime any Oiler does anything positive, it's never due to himself but because of McDavid. Perhaps you could watch them play sometimes so you'd see what Bouchard actually does on the ice, in case that might help.

So you’ve clearly done this.

What does it look like (the stats thing), I’ve seen Bouchard play lots.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I think Coffey really helped Bouchard break out
And imagine if they listened to Coffey and actually drafted Wyatt Johnston who Coffey would have wanted with pick number 22. Instead, they picked Xavier Bourgault, whose most noteworthy attribute is that his name begins with X.

Coffey was Wyatt Johnston's coach so he had insider knowledge on how good he was in spite of missing the OHL season, yet they still didn't listen to him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nov 1, 2011
And imagine if they listened to Coffey and actually drafted Wyatt Johnston who Coffey would have wanted with pick number 22. Instead, they picked Xavier Bourgault, whose most noteworthy attribute is that his name begins with X.

Coffey was Wyatt Johnston's coach so he had insider knowledge on how good he was in spite of missing the OHL season, yet they still didn't listen to him.

Didn’t you basically imply that there was an easy way to know how good Bouchard was without McDavid, then go and say that it’s easy to figure it out?

Last edited by a moderator:

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
So you’ve clearly done this.

What does it look like (the stats thing), I’ve seen Bouchard play lots.

5v5 over the last two regular seasons:

Bouchard and McDavid together
GF%: 61.90
xGF%: 62.57

Bouchard w/o McDavid
GF%: 53.91
xGF%: 57.13

McDavid w/o Bouchard
GF%: 54.01
xGF%: 56.86

They both obviously benefit from playing with eachother, just like all good players, but carries themselves really well with other players on the ice as well.

Pucklington

Expat in Germany.
Mar 24, 2008
Köln
Didn’t you basically imply that there was an easy way to know how good Bouchard was without McDavid, then go and say that it’s easy to figure it out?

Now you’re saying that the info isn’t readily available…so you really done know?!?

How good is Makar w/o MacKinnon?

Nov 1, 2011
5v5 over the last two regular seasons:

Bouchard and McDavid together
GF%: 61.90
xGF%: 62.57

Bouchard w/o McDavid
GF%: 53.91
xGF%: 57.13

McDavid w/o Bouchard
GF%: 54.01
xGF%: 56.86

They both obviously benefit from playing with eachother, just like all good players, but carries themselves really well with other players on the ice as well.

That’s a pretty massive jump, do you think it’s situational (maybe they play a lot of minutes together when they’re chasing the game or something like that)?

I’m surprised that McDavid isn’t better than 57% without Bouchard.

How good is Makar w/o MacKinnon?

No idea. Don’t see Colorado that much.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
That’s a pretty massive jump, do you think it’s situational (maybe they play a lot of minutes together when they’re chasing the game or something like that)?

I’m surprised that McDavid isn’t better than 57% without Bouchard.

I think it's as simple as good players usually play better together. Even the best ones. Some statistically fall off cliffs when separated because they are more dependant on their elite teammates, some are able to maintain that high level. Bouchard is one of the latter.

Reactions: dukeofjive

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan

That's being a bit hard on Brown. In the WHL, Rob Brown outscored guys like Theoren Fleury, and Brown scored at around a 70-point pace with Hartford for a couple of seasons before his party-boy lifestyle and the size-fetish era did him in.

Anyway, lost in all the statistical kerfuffle over McDavid and Bouchard's point totals this playoffs is the fact that Zach Hyman -- who was drafted 123rd overall -- is one goal away from
70 goals
this NHL season (RS + playoffs).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad