What are your expectations for next season?

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
I want the Cup.

I don’t expect it, but I didn’t “expect” a game 7 win either.

My want is more important to me than my expectation. I’m usually a giving, sharing, easy-going guy, but less so when it comes to the Stanley Cup…

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
I'll wait for Zito to make his moves but for me the big question going into next season is Bobrovsky. Yeah he was very good this year, but he's also 36.. and I'm not sure our defense will be as tight going forward especially if we lose Montour, forcing lesser players to get more minutes.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
I'll wait for Zito to make his moves but for me the big question going into next season is Bobrovsky. Yeah he was very good this year, but he's also 36.. and I'm not sure our defense will be as tight going forward especially if we lose Montour, forcing lesser players to get more minutes.

Don't worry. All the ppl who want Reino prioritized over Monty know how this team is going adjust when they no longer have the dman who averaged most TOI per 60. Maybe they have Reino playing RD next season?

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Don't worry. All the ppl who want Reino prioritized over Monty know how this team is going adjust when they no longer have the dman who averaged most TOI per 60. Maybe they have Reino playing RD next season?
Put Gus on PP1 and never think twice, Montour was our worst defender this playoff run, hopefully he can get back to where he was health permitting. Zito clearly was in this line of thinking when extending Gus IMO.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Put Gus on PP1 and never think twice, Montour was our worst defender this playoff run, hopefully he can get back to where he was health permitting. Zito clearly was in this line of thinking when extending Gus IMO.

They could go with Gus on the PP but I still don't see how this team will improve by letting a 22min TOI accruing RD walk into FA. Ekbad is still a mess and with his injury history and reluctance to improve his skating he's a certified liability. ppl want to spin doctor his lack of scoring by saying that now he's a shutdown dman, well, why don't Zito just get a bonafide shutdown dman for a fraction of the cost compared to that of Ekblad?

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
They could go with Gus on the PP but I still don't see how this team will improve by letting a 22min TOI accruing RD walk into FA. Ekbad is still a mess and with his injury history and reluctance to improve his skating he's a certified liability. ppl want to spin doctor his lack of scoring by saying that now he's a shutdown dman, well, why don't Zito just get a bonafide shutdown dman for a fraction of the cost compared to that of Ekblad?
Monty will get more than Ek on the open market, and the ensuing decision on Ekblad's future comes this next season IMO.

Monty was not good this season, and had his career year a year too early. I said this multiple times this season. He is neither a top end offense defenceman or top end defender. The team that pays him will regret it.

Last edited:
Reactions: pantherbot

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Monty will get more than Ek on the open market, and the ensuing decision on Ekblad's future comes this next season IMO.

Monty was not good this season, had his career year a year too early. I said this multiple times this season.

Monty wasn't good if that 73pts season became the standard for him to be evaluated against. Ekblad scores 18pts in this season and that's okay because he's no longer an offensive dman but a top tier shutdown dman. You see how different players have different standards they to live up to? 3.5mil dman bad because he didn't repeat his 73pts season, 7.5mil dman very good because point production doesn't matter.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Monty wasn't good if that 73pts season became the standard for him to be evaluated against. Ekblad scores 18pts in this season and that's okay because he's no longer an offensive dman but a top tier shutdown dman. You see how different players have different standards they to live up to? 3.5mil dman bad because he didn't repeat his 73pts season, 7.5mil dman very good because point production doesn't matter.
If Monty wants to come back at 3.5 - 5 million you keep him, if Ekblad wants at least 7.5 in the future and won't take a major discount, you let him walk. Simple stuff.

You have been talking about a Montour extension north of 8 million all year, that's a huge mistake.

This is Montour's chance at the best contract of his career, I doubt we resign him.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
The Panthers have regretted that 7.5mil per deal from the very beginning and ppl extend the Ekblad experiment byre-signing to a $5milx5. The madness will never end with some players...
Ekblad was a former #1 overall, with a much longer track record and was signed long term through his prime, and his 7.5 while overpaid is still less than what you think we should pay Montour, and he was not a 30+ year old looking for his retirement contract.

I am sorry, but I just don't think it happens for Montour here. Zito already chose Gustav.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
You have been talking about a Montour extension north of 8 million all year, that's a huge mistake.

Well 8mil isn't going to be happen has to be somewhere close Fors' deal in AAV.

Nevertheless, Zito will be signing guys based on whether they want to win a (another) Cup or just to be with this team or live in Florida.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Well 8mil isn't going to be happen has to be somewhere close Fors' deal in AAV.

Nevertheless, Zito will be signing guys based on whether they want to win a (another) Cup or just to be with this team or live in Florida.
It'll happen, but not with us. Check back with me by July 4th. The writing has been on the wall since the Forsling deal.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Ekblad was a former #1 overall, with a much longer track record and was signed long term through his prime, and his 7.5 while overpaid is still less than what you think we should pay Montour, and he was not a 30+ year old looking for his retirement contract.

I am sorry, but I just don't think it happens for Montour here. Zito already chose Gustav.

Gus isn't going to absorb Monty's minutes so he still needs to sign a top4 dman.

Doesn't matter what pick was used to get Ekky on board. There's no leeway with Zito when comes down to players living up to their contracts and I trust that Zito will make the right call(s) when the FA begins.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Gus isn't going to absorb Monty's minutes so he still needs to sign a top4 dman.

Doesn't matter what pick was used to get Ekky on board. There's no leeway with Zito when comes down to players living up to their contracts and I trust that Zito will make the right call(s) when the FA begins.
His 5v5 minutes? Sure.

But he is not unreplaceable on our PP, and doesn't PK, we will be fine.

He was hot garbage all year on the place he was supposed to be one of our top guys.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Monty is going to want his retirement contract. Zito ain't gonna give it to him. I think Zito brings back OEL to qb the pp on a 2-3 year deal for around 3M. Honestly he was better at it than Montour in the Final.

Fors-Ek
Mikkola- OEL
Balinskis/Bjornfot/Mahura-Kuli

If Reino wants more than 10, target Guentzel or Marchessault. Our payroll structure has been established, Barky and Chucky for F, Forsling for D. And it's gonna keep us competitive for the next few years as Zito works on bringing another championship to town.

CanePanther

Jan 4, 2022
Montour is gone and Ecky is is going to have to settle for a minimum contract. If Rhino settles on 10 mil. We are in business, Zito figures it out from there. In fact we are predicted to get back to the Stanley Cup final I’m sure based on Rhino returning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad