Bouchard gets the record for most assists by a defenseman in a playoff run.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Hughes is more like Karlsson in style. He will be more a focus of the offense than a complementary player with the Canucks.

No doubt Bouchard and McDavid fit well together. But it is not like Bouchard came out of no where. He was an offensive machine with London. He also put up 12 G and 35 ES points as a rookie.
The knock on Bouchard was his skating. If he was a burner like Hughes or Dahlin he would have been in the 1st OA discussion. The numbers he put up in his draft year were excellent.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
In 20-30 years this will likely be obscure/shocking hockey trivia unless he repeats something close to it.
He's been hovering around .ppg since last February (Barrie trade) So we've got about 16 months, 2 playoff runs and a full regular season of this now. Well out of small sample size...

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
numbers he put up in his draft year were excellent.
I know you know this... But some forget. He was CHL Dman of the year and played exactly zero shifts with Connor McDavid in the OHL. That got him to be a first rounder. Then AHL all star (also without a single shift with Mcdrai).

Dominated every level... Gets drafted high and now I read daily that he's being carried.lol

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I know you know this... But some forget. He was CHL Dman of the year and played exactly zero shifts with Connor McDavid in the OHL. That got him to be a first rounder. Then AHL all star (also without a single shift with Mcdrai).

Dominated every level... Gets drafted high and now I read daily that he's being carried.lol
Absolute perfect pick for this team. I was ecstatic when he was available yet some people were trying to make an argument for Dobson.

POVERTY

Leafs and Marchand fan
Sep 27, 2017
He's been hovering around .ppg since last February (Barrie trade) So we've got about 16 months, 2 playoff runs and a full regular season of this now. Well out of small sample size...
Tyson Barrie was traded Feb 28th, 2023. Since March 1st, 2023, Bouchard has 101 pts in 102 regular season games and 49 pts in 35 playoff games.

For reference, noted playoff God Leon Draisaitl has 48 pts in 35 playoff games since then.

He's going to be doing this for a long time.

Reactions: Czechboy

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

No only was there no McDavid but London moved out most of there best offensive forwards that year leaving a very young team.

Reactions: Czechboy

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Happy for him. Hope they can take it to 7.
Kenny Holland should have stuck to his guns and drafted this kid for Detroit. Draft standing up so a Filip Zadina can't fall in your lap.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
The Pacific Division should be in the AHL it's that bad.
This is such a b.s. narrative that needs to die. The defending champions from last year are in the Pacific Division. The Western Conference champions from this year are in the Pacific division. Vancouver was a legitimate team this year. The Pacific having two of the worst teams in the league doesn't make the rest of the division a joke.

Defending champions in the AHL. What a take.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
I was thinking about it and really there’s nothing for Hughes. He’s got Miller and Petey but their production is probably more reliant on being on with Hughes than the other way.

I still feel that Bouchard’s game fits McDavid’s really well in that his main assets (breakout pass, vision, shooting) compliment McDavid well while McDavid’s skating and overall game control help make up for Bouchard’s skating weakness.

You are correct. Here are some of the star forwards stats with and without the top Norris candidates from this past season. One of them is not like the others.

Norriscandidates.JPG

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
I get why Oiler fans are excited about this, but I don't think most of the league is seeing this the same way they are.

Impressive feat, but it has a pretty clear asterisk

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Tyson Barrie was traded Feb 28th, 2023. Since March 1st, 2023, Bouchard has 101 pts in 102 regular season games and 49 pts in 35 playoff games.

For reference, noted playoff God Leon Draisaitl has 48 pts in 35 playoff games since then.

He's going to be doing this for a long time.
My fav thing is that he scores more in playoffs and ups his game.

Reactions: dukeofjive

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
This is such a b.s. narrative that needs to die. The defending champions from last year are in the Pacific Division. The Western Conference champions from this year are in the Pacific division. Vancouver was a legitimate team this year. The Pacific having two of the worst teams in the league doesn't make the rest of the division a joke.

Defending champions in the AHL. What a take.
We're seeing that the easy road teams have been able to win the Stanley Cup the last couple of years. Tampa twice due to a shortened season, Avs playing an easy route to the Cup, Vegas getting an absurdly easy bracket, and now Edmonton playing nobody seriously tough until the finals. The West has had the benefit of the doubt for the last three years since half of the teams in each division are AHL-level bad, especially the Pacific. Look at the division this year, barely anybody good. Just Edmonton and Vancouver, where the Oilers were fortunate to play against the third-string goaler.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
It goes without saying having McDavid on your team helps quite a bit with point totals.
I love how the narrative has flipped on the oilers. For years we hear McDavid can't do it all on his own and how we are a 2 man team, now every player who is playing well and getting results is because of McDavid.

Can't win, can we!

Give us all the *'s

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
We're seeing that the easy road teams have been able to win the Stanley Cup the last couple of years. Tampa twice due to a shortened season, Avs playing an easy route to the Cup, Vegas getting an absurdly easy bracket, and now Edmonton playing nobody seriously tough until the finals. The West has had the benefit of the doubt for the last three years since half of the teams in each division are AHL-level bad, especially the Pacific. Look at the division this year, barely anybody good. Just Edmonton and Vancouver, where the Oilers were fortunate to play against the third-string goaler.
Yes, LA and Vegas were AHL level teams this year...

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
This is some very high level cope

IceManCat

#StanleyCupChampions2024
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
I love how the narrative has flipped on the oilers. For years we hear McDavid can't do it all on his own, now every player who is playing well and getting results is because of McDavid.

Can't win, can we!

Give us all the *'s

I'm not saying Buch isnt a great player but I'm also saying that "record" is pretty arbitrary considering the circumstances. Replace Bouch with say Heisakenen or any other top 15 d-man and you would get pretty similar results. Imagine Cale Makar, Quinn Hughes, or a healthy Karlsson back there and the points might even double.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad