Boston Bruins Boston Bruins Announce 2021 Development Camp Roster And Schedule

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005

It's not ideal that only 2 of Divver's 7 camp all-star team were draft picks. On the other side, hopefully they've gotten ahead on free agent contract talks with Meyers, Ford, McLaughlin, and Scanlin.

Keep in mind the invites are 2-3 years older than most of our prospects and we had the pick of the litter with no other camps going on this week
Unfortunately a few of them are headed elsewhere next week

Number6

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
Keep in mind the invites are 2-3 years older than most of our prospects and we had the pick of the litter with no other camps going on this week
Unfortunately a few of them are headed elsewhere next week

So if my math is correct, that makes them 12 years younger than Lohrei.

On a more serious note, many thanks to you @Saxon Eric, to @DKH and to the other posters who provided very interesting reports!

BTW, is it me or the Bruins organization could make a little more effort to provide more videos, live coverage, etc. of the Development Camp? I feel their marketing team is still living in the 1990's...

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
McLaughlin for sure
Petruzzelli and Meyers I believe but can't find it
There was a NCAA Development Camp invitee site but can't find that either

Roger. I really hope we lock up Petruzzelli. The perfect move to replenish the goaltending depth that you lost when you trade Vladar.

Meyers and McLaughlin based off what people here have said sound like awesome grabs as well.

Reactions: bbfan419

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Got to think a well run camp like this makes a good impression on the free agents who attend and might be the difference between signing here and somewhere else if all things are even.

I’d love to know what the perks look like..

food, swag, speakers, etc.

Reactions: BMC

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Who’s Ben Myers one of standouts at Camp? A review of his skills by Austin Brass

GM For a Day: Trade Deadline Edition

What I’d do right this second (and after the Frozen Four)

Sign Ben Meyers (C/LW, University of Minnesota) and Dryden McKay (G, Minnesota State) as college free agents (McKay after the Frozen Four)

If you follow me on Twitter the first name should be of no surprise. I’m a big Ben Meyers fan. The 22 year old sophomore is a firecracker whenever he steps on the ice. At 5’11, 201 pounds he is an extremely mobile and physical presence for the Gophers. He has a great shot, and has enough playmaking ability that he’s not just reliant on his physicality and motor to create offensive opportunities. He plays up-and-down the lineup for Minnesota. He plays in all situations, and in the last game against Minnesota State, he was the one Gopher who came to play. Above all: he is an elite competitor. He pressures pucks, is a relentless forechecker, and his motor never stops. His pace of play, skill, and compete level make him a great addition as a potential bottom six player.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
so is Lohrei any good defensively? seems like all I ever hear about is his offense and physical tools. Does he defend well, have good awereness, a good gap, etc? How much of a project is he defensively?

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I’m more impressed these are 5 of the 6 guys I was talking and posting about

Duran absolutely because I kept thinking Duran Duran

kuntar
Myers
Louhri
Lyle

all my top 4 ~ but @BruinsNetwork got me paying attention to Ford on Tuesday so yes on that
I keep thinking Roberto Duran:)

Reactions: DKH

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I stopped by today. Wanted to see the kids in action, but didn't have time this week to take in more than one skate, so take my notes with a grain of salt...

When I first walked in, they were playing cross ice 3on3 and the guy who really jumped out at me was Greenway. Man is that guy a specimen. Big, but really light and quick on his feet. Really athletic. He was smiling and having fun. In 3on3 he could roam and attack and just play pond hockey, and he stood out to me, but he played much quieter in the full ice scrimmage IMO.

Lohrei was as advertised. Big, smart, poised, confident, creative, hands, vision, mobility... wanted to make his mark on every game. Impressive. I'm excited to see what he will become with 25 pounds. Lohrei had a sweet play in the 4on4 where he got behind the D, took a pass for the far post and it looked like he was just going to try to tip it on net on his backhand, but instead he pulled it forehand and tried to draw the puck across the crease and tuck it in far side. Crafty.

The Kuntar/Vatrano comps are pretty also pretty good. Kuntar plays a simple game, he's not a puck carrier and he's not a dangler, but he has a great shot and he loves to use it. He knows how to get open, off the rush and in the offensive zone. I don't think he has the strength or speed of Vatrano, but maybe that's an age/development thing.

Voyer had some good hands. He scored in the cross ice shootout with a great move. He also knifed thru two D in the full ice scrimmage.

Harrison looked big and strong and I thought he'd be all power but he had some dangle in his game in the cross ice. I didn't notice him much in the full ice.

Meyers was clearly the best forward on the ice. First shift of the full ice game he and Kuntar had two 2on1's. Every time he stepped on the ice he generated offense, off the rush, in the zone. I think his best asset is his mind. He's not that big, or that fast, so maybe he's not a bluest of blue chips because he doesn't have that dominant physical element, but he does have good hands, high compete level and terrific smarts.

Ford was also really effective. Again, he's not big, or strong, but he's really determined around the net, kind of like a Parise-type, he just has a knack for scoring goals around the net.

Malstrom looked like a pro, a littler thicker, a little stronger, good reads, good mobility. He had a nice breakaway goal off an obvious trip by Voyer.

I liked Stejskal and Keyser in net. But limited viewing on goalies obviously. Though it looked like Danny McBride was filling in for comic relief as the 4th.

Lyle looked like the most NHL ready player there. He's a strong two way guy, who just had a presence on the ice today. The puck followed him around. 5 tool player, he can rush the puck (had a nice slip under move going end to end), he can defend, he has size, he can hit (lined up Greenway off he rush but Greenway saw it coming and pulled up). I hope he sticks with the club.

Langenbrunber has more offense than I thought but needs to shoot more. He passed up a couple chances to shoot in the high slot and chose to force passes off 2on1's. He did score one nice tip in goal off a great pass from Hall. He's another big, mobile defenseman to add to the group.

Olson looked good too. He has good speed and tenacity, he flew in on the forecheck in the scrimmage a couple times and won pucks against much bigger D. He has really good hands and creativity and slipped through the D a couple times. He had a highlight reel goal, sweep dragging the D and then slipped backhand past goalie.When the full ice scrimmage was reduced to a 3on3 he dominated and he and Kuntar kept the puck in the offensive zone for what felt like the last two minutes of the game. I don't understand how his numbers are so low at Minnesota.

I thought Hall was quiet. He had one really nice dish to Langenbrunber where he was on his off wing and he pulled it to his backhand like he was going to shoot and instead slid it behind the D to Langenbrunner for the tap in. Otherwise I didn't notice him much in the 3on3 or the full ice scrimmage.

Mast moves well and had some nice spins and turns to shake a fire checker

Scmaltz was around the puck a lot, so was Duran. Duran has nice size and speed. He started a lot of plays, but I didn't think he had great finish. Duran did have a nice assist. He picked up a pass as the trailer in a 3on2 and showed shot but instead zipped a hard pass back door to Voyer for the tap in.

Gallagher stood out for his high energy. Lebster showed some speed, catching Mitchell on breakaway bid, when Mitchell had about 15 feet on him. McLaughlin made some nice plays. Gasseau went end to end but denied by McBride. Gasseau can be crafty too. McFaul looks big and steady.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Matt Porter Boston Globe

Lohrei gets gold star on blue line
The Bruins look like they’ve got a keeper in Mason Lohrei, their second-round pick (58th overall) from 2020. The left-shot defenseman stood out from a size (6 feet 4 inches, 200 pounds) and skating perspective at development camp. He was arguably the most skilled mover of the puck.
Lohrei, 20, who reports for his freshman year at Ohio State on Aug. 16, will be challenged by the NCAA route. College players were granted an extra year of eligibility because of the pandemic. Some of Lohrei’s opponents will be 25 years old.

The Bruins will be watching him closely. Director of player development Jamie Langenbrunner arrived at USHL Green Bay early last season to remind Lohrei to focus on his defense. That increased focus, and the keys to the Gamblers’ power play, led to a jump from 8-29—37 totals to 19-40—59 (both in 48 games). He was USHL Defenseman of the Year.
“I’d like to give our scouts all the accolades in terms of recognizing he had a longer path of development,” Sweeney said. “He was obviously growing. He hadn’t played the position. There’s a bunch of things that you put into context of where he is today, and how much room he still has. We’re excited. There’s a long way to go for Mason. It’ll be a nice challenge for him to go to Ohio State and play against bigger, stronger players, faster.
Pleased with Lohrei’s best attributes — patience with the puck, confidence at the offensive blue line, power-play acumen — the Bruins challenged Lohrei to be a tougher defender this week, making better use of his length and skating. They liked the response.

“He took that to heart,” Sweeney said. “Our coaches were trying to get him to understand how much harder it is, how much more competitive you have to be on pucks in the defensive zone, but without taking away his creativity moving pucks and getting into the offensive flow.”

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Louhri minimum 2 years away I’d like it 3 but I’m sure they will go slowly

as Sweeney said it wasn’t a normal situation

you had a major growth spurt and a position change

Lohrei (I’m going what his friend and HS teammate told me 6’5) and Lyle 6’3 and solid give the Bruins potentially two exceptionally tall offensive puck movers on the backend

someone should tell the Twitter hardos although I don’t think they are the type that change their minds once they decide on something facts be damned

Ad

Upcoming events

• Geelong Cats @ Carlton Blues
    Geelong Cats @ Carlton Blues
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,500.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs Ukraine
    Slovakia vs Ukraine
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $700.00