Boston Bruins Boston Bruins Announce 2021 Development Camp Roster And Schedule

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
I hate to make this comparison but Lohrei reminded me of McAvoy’s first camp, where you could see all that talent to skate, carry, pass, attack and on top of the skills there was that something extra, a drive to be a difference maker or maybe just a desire to make an impression. Either way, he deserves the praise he’s getting. He’s a tremendous prospect.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
From Kirk

Mason Lohrei and Trevor Kuntar front and center

In terms of the players whose rights are held by the B’s, two prospects from the 2020 draft lived up to expectations this week.

Lohrei is a bit polarizing when it comes to public opinion of him as the team’s top choice last October and a second-year eligible ’01. The bottom line is that the Ohio State-bound freshman looked the part this week with his skating, puck skills and a willingness to bear down and show some tenacity defensively, albeit in limited evaluation capacity during drills and the one scrimmage.

“I like to give our scouts all the accolades in terms of recognizing that he had a longer path of development,” Sweeney said of Lohrei. “He was obviously growing, he hadn’t played the position, there’s a bunch of things you put into the context of where is today and how much room he still has, we’re excited.”

Lohrei was at risk of not making the Culver Military Academy 16-U team in 2017, and converted to defenseman from forward. The switch changed the entire trajectory of his career, and with his natural offensive instincts, coupled with his size and agility, he has the raw potential to develop into an impact NHLer one day.

Along with Lohrei, Brady Lyle had the strongest camp of any Boston prospect. Lyle is the one most ready to see NHL time this season, though it would likely happen in the event of injuries.

Kuntar distinguished himself this week as the most effective and consistent forward of the draft picks in attendance. The New York native will have every opportunity to be a front-line player at Boston College this season because he plays with pace, speed and has some impressive skill/hands. He is evolving into a complete forward who can beat you in a variety of ways.

Bruins Development Camp: Final observations (hockeyjournal.com)

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
did Beecher take part this year? No updates on him here that I have seen but also haven`t read every page.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
did Beecher take part this year? No updates on him here that I have seen but also haven`t read every page.

My understanding is he was there, but still rehabbing. Don't think he would have done any event that would have potentially involved contact, maybe he did some skating drills

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
I remember the outrage after he was taking in the draft.

I guess there won’t be perennial 2015 remembering draft type threads about it.

Just like there is no 2014 or 2016 acclamation threads either…

I do too.

2015 was disappointing but one of the reasons I don't get too worked up over draft selections is because for every painful miss, there's a surprising win. Lohrei could end up being the steal of that draft. Pasta at 25. Carlo at 37...

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
So if my math is correct, that makes them 12 years younger than Lohrei.

On a more serious note, many thanks to you @Saxon Eric, to @DKH and to the other posters who provided very interesting reports!

BTW, is it me or the Bruins organization could make a little more effort to provide more videos, live coverage, etc. of the Development Camp? I feel their marketing team is still living in the 1990's...

I was thinking the same thing

when I was years back I took lots of video, even slow mo clips to get some of their finer points and edge work in board battles and then of course the shoot outs

Some of their guys noticed on Twitter and people like Amelie benjamin started doing the same, felt like a new day. Guess they don’t care anymore

most people have smart phones tho so next time just head down to the glass and get more footage will ya ?

Reactions: Number6

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
2021 Development Camp Wrap Up
Keep in mind while I'm watching one player, there's usually 3 more doing the same thing elsewhere on the ice, I watched every day though and I'm pretty comfortable with my takes, it was good to see everyone again!
2018 Draft
Curtis Hall- The 6-4 220 pound Hall has the look of a NHL player, he had zero problems with any of the drills and to my eyes was very consistent, lateral movement is still a work in progress and at times needs a bigger runway to get going, really displayed soft hand and vision in the 3v3 drills, I'm happy with his progress

Dustyn McFaul- While McFaul wasn't at the very top of camp defensemen he still impressed me, moves very well with or without the puck, at times looked a little conservative out there but rarely made mistakes, has a nice hard and low shot and moves the puck fairly well, I'm perplexed his stat line in College is so low, I think he has more to show

2019 Draft
John Beecher- Johnny showed his rust right off the bat, shook it off rather quickly, speed and power was on full display but his hands haven't caught up yet, unfortunately wasn't able to do some drills and missed all of the 3v3,4v4,5v5 action, he's on target to start on time in Michigan and turn Pro in early Spring, very high floor

Quinn Olson- mixed camp for Quinn, some drills did well, other's looked like white rice when there were opportunities to separate from the pack, he's a good 2 way player that's also solid from the dot but I might have over rated him a bit, expect him to play 2 more years in College

Jake Schmaltz- I liked what I saw from Mr. Schmaltz, he is the classic Jack of all trades master of none, high work rate ,quick release ,good skater but nothing close to elite, he just get's the job done and has an edge to him while doing it, how can you not like that?

The Much Maligned 2020 Draft
Mason Lohrei- What else can I say other than I told you so.... arguably Boston's best prospect, not a finished product but that's the exciting part, puts on the Freshmen 15 and gains more game experience and hopefully turns pro in March, kid is the real deal

Trevor Kuntar- Outstanding camp, got better everyday and just outclassed the rest, he was so freaking good it's hard to describe, phenomenal growth from his Freshman year at BC and I thought he had a good year.. he dominated 1v1 drills and wins just about every board battle, laser shot, drives hard to the net , keep an eye out for him, legit!

Mason Langenbrunner- What a revelations this kid was, great skater, high IQ, pinpoint passing, looks like a natural back there, his shot needs work and is very light for his size (6-3 180) but doesn't head to Harvard till 2022 so you're looking at potentially 5 more development years and he'll put on the pounds then, he absolutely showed NHL promise, we just have to be patient

Riley Duran- Riley had a excellent camp, I was nervous cause he was on such a dysfunctional team in the USHL but he showed why the Bruins drafted him, he's a budding power forward who isn't the sum of all his parts, hands haven't caught up yet but was in the right spots all week long ,a few years at PC are going to do him wonders

2021 Draft
Brett Harrison- He was exactly as the Draft Guides wrote, big ,rangy ,a killer in close, must of scored 100 goals from 6ft in, at times during different drills had the same look my kids had when I made them drive on the highway for the first time but other than that he looked the part, 2 way play was better than expected, while he didn't stand out he did pretty good for someone 18 years old

Ryan Mast- Impressive first camp, big dude that's pretty light on his feet, surprising offensive chops, heavy shot from the point, would imagine he'll be a top pairing guy in Sarnia, lots to like so far

Andre Gasseau- Another one that impressed but wasn't as consistent as Mast, struggled on the first day, a budding power forward type that likes to posses the puck and create space for others, has a wicked wrist shot but is very raw, hence why after playing on the NTDP he's doing another year in that league with Fargo, he did ok in drills but really shined 3v3 and game like situations

Ty Gallagher- Ty looked like a heady Ryan Lindgren clone (minus the sandpaper), plus skater, powerfull shot, did enough that I noticed him often, seemed comfortable in this setting and looked well prepared, will be in good hands at BU

NHL Contract
Brady Lyle- intense defender that played with a chip on his shoulder the whole week and was excellent, he was all business and did very well with the various skating drills, went easy on the goalies during slap shot drills and often led by example, can't ask for much more

Kyle Keyser- Kyle started the week as if Boston pulled him off the beach a few hours earlier but he quickly rebounded and made many ridiculous saves over the next few days, he had a solid camp and hopefully gets rewarded with a preseason start in Boston

AHL Contract
Alex Olivier Voyer- What ever the Coaching staff told him to work on he clearly took it to heart, easily the best forward on the ice on the first day and continued to work hard all week, he's not the most gifted but showed an excellent work rate, had a few highlight reel goals, smart on management to invite him, he did well

JD Greenway- Signing him is either going to be a magnificent hit or fail spectacularly, early in camp he looked the part, got the 2 year contract and then kind of half assed it during the scrimmage, now he's a mammoth of a dude and he wasn't in the same shape as the others so he was running on fumes near the end but I was hoping for a little more, maybe they start him in Maine and make him play his way to Providence.

The Invites
Parker Ford- Excellent camp for the little engine that could, showed skill, speed, jam, sandpaper, IQ ,he can do it all and really was a pleasure to watch, absolutely should be offered a contract

Tyler Gratton- Not sure what they see in him unless he's willing to sign now and will start in Maine? He had a few nice goals but never stood out otherwise, Pass on signing him

Mathew Kopperud- Started very slow but finished on a high note, another one that shined once the drills were over and the bullets started flying, not the biggest kid almost has that typical College player frame, he's pretty elusive though and made plays last few days, he's worth tracking from here on out, I'd sign him

Reed Lebster- Overall mediocre , did have his moments during face off drills where he crushed his opponents but never really shined elsewhere and never caught my eye, Pass on signing him

Marc McLaughin- I was jazzed to watch him but first couple of days he kind of laid an egg, he recovered and really put his stamp on the week, scored goals of all kinds and battled hard, not the biggest guy but very wide, strong along the boards usually winning most battles, deceptive shot too, He's on my list to sign

Ben Meyers- He missed day one, was meh day 2 and I'm thinking to myself what's the big deal with this guy and then the game scenarios started and yeah he's pretty good, silky smooth with great vision and can do it at full speed, fantastic chemistry with Kuntar just tortured the D, he's pretty high end but chances are we won't get him, sorry

Anton Malmstrom- Interesting player, I went from why is he here? to why is he playing at Bowling Green?, big, sturdy defensman that skates like a little guy , excellent hockey resume so it's no surprise how seasoned he looked back there, excellent escape ability, solid vision, really looked good, just a sound player. He'd be a good get

Travis Mitchell- High risk reward type that's trending in the right direction , watching him you wouldn't know he sat the season out, had no trouble navigating through all the drills and ate the forwards up during rushes, has probable the highest upside of the invitees but I was cautioned about him a few times by various prospect aficionados... ,he's got loads of raw talent just waiting to be molded though, I'd try and sign him now

Brandon Scanlin- STUD! just a monster back there, Condor like reach sweeps away any trouble and if they get through that he just pastes them against the board , 6-4 220, really good skater, moved the puck well, showed surprisingly good offensive flair, shot was nice and heavy, he killed it this week, Absolutely a must sign

Zach Stejskal- very impressed, I stood right above him all week, made the routine saves look routine, was a model of consistency, now and again leaked a goal but they all did, good size, good lateral movements, seemed to enjoy the experience ,what else can I say other than sign him!

Keith Petruzzelli- He was good too but I had Stejskal slightly ahead, Keith is massive in size and fills up the goal, I don't think he's reached his potential with movement and
flexibility yet, made some big saves during the scrimmages , I'm interested to see where he ends up

That's it, next stop Prospect Challenge Buffalo NY

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Keep in mind while I'm watching one player, there's usually 3 more doing the same thing elsewhere on the ice, I watched every day though and I'm pretty comfortable with my takes, it was good to see everyone again!
2018 Draft
Curtis Hall- The 6-4 220 pound Hall has the look of a NHL player, he had zero problems with any of the drills and to my eyes was very consistent, lateral movement is still a work in progress and at times needs a bigger runway to get going, really displayed soft hand and vision in the 3v3 drills, I'm happy with his progress

Dustyn McFaul- While McFaul wasn't at the very top of camp defensemen he still impressed me, moves very well with or without the puck, at times looked a little conservative out there but rarely made mistakes, has a nice hard and low shot and moves the puck fairly well, I'm perplexed his stat line in College is so low, I think he has more to show

2019 Draft
John Beecher- Johnny showed his rust right off the bat, shook it off rather quickly, speed and power was on full display but his hands haven't caught up yet, unfortunately wasn't able to do some drills and missed all of the 3v3,4v4,5v5 action, he's on target to start on time in Michigan and turn Pro in early Spring, very high floor

Quinn Olson- mixed camp for Quinn, some drills did well, other's looked like white rice when there were opportunities to separate from the pack, he's a good 2 way player that's also solid from the dot but I might have over rated him a bit, expect him to play 2 more years in College

Jake Schmaltz- I liked what I saw from Mr. Schmaltz, he is the classic Jack of all trades master of none, high work rate ,quick release ,good skater but nothing close to elite, he just get's the job done and has an edge to him while doing it, how can you not like that?

Mason Lohrei- What else can I say other than I told you so.... arguably Boston's best prospect, not a finished product but that's the exciting part, puts on the Freshmen 15 and gains more game experience and hopefully turns pro in March, kid is the real deal

Trevor Kuntar- Outstanding camp, got better everyday and just outclassed the rest, he was so freaking good it's hard to describe, phenomenal growth from his Freshman year at BC and I thought he had a good year.. he dominated 1v1 drills and wins just about every board battle, laser shot, drives hard to the net , keep an eye out for him, legit!

Mason Langenbrunner- What a revelations this kid was, great skater, high IQ, pinpoint passing, looks like a natural back there, his shot needs work and is very light for his size (6-3 180) but doesn't head to Harvard till 2022 so you're looking at potentially 5 more development years and he'll put on the pounds then, he absolutely showed NHL promise, we just have to be patient

Riley Duran- Riley had a excellent camp, I was nervous cause he was on such a dysfunctional team in the USHL but he showed why the Bruins drafted him, he's a budding power forward who isn't the sum of all his parts, hands haven't caught up yet but was in the right spots all week long ,a few years at PC are going to do him wonders

2021 Draft
Brett Harrison- He was exactly as the Draft Guides wrote, big ,rangy ,a killer in close, must of scored 100 goals from 6ft in, at times during different drills had the same look my kids had when I made them drive on the highway for the first time but other than that he looked the part, 2 way play was better than expected, while he didn't stand out he did pretty good for someone 18 years old

Ryan Mast- Impressive first camp, big dude that's pretty light on his feet, surprising offensive chops, heavy shot from the point, would imagine he'll be a top pairing guy in Sarnia, lots to like so far

Andre Gasseau- Another one that impressed but wasn't as consistent as Mast, struggled on the first day, a budding power forward type that likes to posses the puck and create space for others, has a wicked wrist shot but is very raw, hence why after playing on the NTDP he's doing another year in that league with Fargo, he did ok in drills but really shined 3v3 and game like situations

Ty Gallagher- Ty looked like a heady Ryan Lindgren clone (minus the sandpaper), plus skater, powerfull shot, did enough that I noticed him often, seemed comfortable in this setting and looked well prepared, will be in good hands at BU

NHL Contract
Brady Lyle- intense defender that played with a chip on his shoulder the whole week and was excellent, he was all business and did very well with the various skating drills, went easy on the goalies during slap shot drills and often led by example, can't ask for much more

Kyle Keyser- Kyle started the week as if Boston pulled him off the beach a few hours earlier but he quickly rebounded and made many ridiculous saves over the next few days, he had a solid camp and hopefully gets rewarded with a preseason start in Boston

AHL Contract
Alex Olivier Voyer- What ever the Coaching staff told him to work on he clearly took it to heart, easily the best forward on the ice on the first day and continued to work hard all week, he's not the most gifted but showed an excellent work rate, had a few highlight reel goals, smart on management to invite him, he did well

JD Greenway- Signing him is either going to be a magnificent hit or fail spectacularly, early in camp he looked the part, got the 2 year contract and then kind of half assed it during the scrimmage, now he's a mammoth of a dude and he wasn't in the same shape as the others so he was running on fumes near the end but I was hoping for a little more, maybe they start him in Maine and make him play his way to Providence.

The Invites
Parker Ford- Excellent camp for the little engine that could, showed skill, speed, jam, sandpaper, IQ ,he can do it all and really was a pleasure to watch, absolutely should be offered a contract

Tyler Gratton- Not sure what they see in him unless he's willing to sign now and will start in Maine? He had a few nice goals but never stood out otherwise, Pass on signing him

Mathew Kopperud- Started very slow but finished on a high note, another one that shined once the drills were over and the bullets started flying, not the biggest kid almost has that typical College player frame, he's pretty elusive though and made plays last few days, he's worth tracking from here on out, I'd sign him

Reed Lebster- Overall mediocre , did have his moments during face off drills where he crushed his opponents but never really shined elsewhere and never caught my eye, Pass on signing him

Marc McLaughin- I was jazzed to watch him but first couple of days he kind of laid an egg, he recovered and really put his stamp on the week, scored goals of all kinds and battled hard, not the biggest guy but very wide, strong along the boards usually winning most battles, deceptive shot too, He's on my list to sign

Ben Meyers- He missed day one, was meh day 2 and I'm thinking to myself what's the big deal with this guy and then the game scenarios started and yeah he's pretty good, silky smooth with great vision and can do it at full speed, fantastic chemistry with Kuntar just tortured the D, he's pretty high end but chances are we won't get him, sorry

Anton Malmstrom- Interesting player, I went from why is he here? to why is he playing at Bowling Green?, big, sturdy defensman that skates like a little guy , excellent hockey resume so it's no surprise how seasoned he looked back there, excellent escape ability, solid vision, really looked good, just a sound player. He'd be a good get

Travis Mitchell- High risk reward type that's trending in the right direction , watching him you wouldn't know he sat the season out, had no trouble navigating through all the drills and ate the forwards up during rushes, has probable the highest upside of the invitees but I was cautioned about him a few times by various prospect aficionados... ,he's got loads of raw talent just waiting to be molded though, I'd try and sign him now

Brandon Scanlin- STUD! just a monster back there, Condor like reach sweeps away any trouble and if they get through that he just pastes them against the board , 6-4 220, really good skater, moved the puck well, showed surprisingly good offensive flair, shot was nice and heavy, he killed it this week, Absolutely a must sign

Zach Stejskal- very impressed, I stood right above him all week, made the routine saves look routine, was a model of consistency, now and again leaked a goal but they all did, good size, good lateral movements, seemed to enjoy the experience ,what else can I say other than sign him!

Keith Petruzzelli- He was good too but I had Stejskal slightly ahead, Keith is massive in size and fills up the goal, I don't think he's reached his potential with movement and
flexibility yet, made some big saves during the scrimmages , I'm interested to see where he ends up

Nice analysis Saxon Eric

Why is there little to no chance to lock up Meyers? can you expand? One would think because he accepted an invitation to Bruins camp, Bruins would hold a slight advantage?

I hope they offer Ford and Mitchell something

Excited about Kuntar, Lohrei, Lyle future

Feel pretty good about Beecher also and hope he is fully recovered from his injury last season

Don't have a good feeling about Olson

Reactions: bbfan419

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Nice analysis Saxon Eric

Why is there little to no chance to lock up Meyers? can you expand? One would think because he accepted an invitation to Bruins camp, Bruins would hold a slight advantage?

I hope they offer Ford and Mitchell something

Excited about Kuntar, Lohrei, Lyle future

Feel pretty good about Beecher also and hope he is fully recovered from his injury last season

Don't have a good feeling about Olson
Re Meyers, Boston will be competing with around 20 teams come Spring, maybe more
Don't like our odds

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
2018 Draft

2019 Draft

2021 Draft

NHL Contract

AHL Contract

The Invites

Thanks for this assessment, great stuff. Kuntar is going on my list of young'uns to keep an eye on as they continue to develop. Sounds like a really exciting prospect.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Great great stuff by Eric and loved Kirk’s take

Lohrei we need to be patient with and we will be rewarded

he’s going to be a swan when all is said and done but there is some East-West growth ahead of him and a lot of reps playing defense. He reminds me in size and offensive mindset the way Larry Robinson exhibited when he showed up in the early 70’s. Robinson was often caught up or out of position and the Canadiens fans were all over him but in year 3 he took off - and when he basically Buster Douglased Dave ‘the Hammer’ Schultz his game and reputation were solidified.

I’m not saying Lohrei is headed there but he’s tall and Rangy willing to take chances and as a former football player can deal with contact.

I would think he’s a legit second pair high end player on a 100+ team

Kuntar to me has duende - at least in this setting.
He reminds me of Steve Leach. Solidly built with good feet and awareness- he has puck possession ability and could be a nice match with a healthy Coyle

the Vatrano comps are fair but Kuntar looks light years ahead of Frank in the physical heavy board dirty area game

be tough to outshoot Frank and Kuntar may not be at that level but it’s still impressive and he’s not shy about it

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
Lohrei reminds me of Brett Burns. He transitioned so well from forward to D. I love his wrist/snap shot and how he waits off players to get his shot through. His shot is powerful and quick. This is now a way better tool then the big clapper. If he has a big year this year I’m going all in that he will be a legit #1-2 guy who will be a PP QB. This guy will top out at 15-20 goals a year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad