Value of: Boone Jenner to COL

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Think the Avs would do this in a heartbeat. He’s also one of those players there would be loads of interest in, if the Jackets ever put him on the market.

So they’d likely end up with a better offer from someone else. Not sure the Avs could even start the conversation without Ritchie’s name. Not with their system being where it’s at.

He has a NTC/NMC, no?

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
KOnency is just an example in terms of caliber of player

The Avs with that package can bring back a better player than Jenner

Look at 2Cs across the league signed for term, look at teams who would move them out and you can find your target via that sort of package.

Danault (would cost Ritchie + 1st prob at 50% retained and is better than Jenner)

Kadri (would cost less than that package, likely the 1st + 2nd for kadri 1M retained and is better than Jenner)

Hartman (would cost much less, prob just the 1st, but he is worse than jenner)

Would be good targets

Wouldn't hate Hartman. Hes kind of a poor man's Sam Bennett. Hes within the division though.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Except that the Avs are loaded with wingers. Laughton would be their target from the Flyers

Heart and soul guys can be 3rd/4th liners. You could definitely get at least one or two of those guys included as extras in a Laine deal
Why. Which team would trade their LOCs or Cizicks for Laine. Cheap bottom liners are more valuable than overpaid top six guys.

keglu

Jul 11, 2014
Think the Avs would do this in a heartbeat. He’s also one of those players there would be loads of interest in, if the Jackets ever put him on the market.

So they’d likely end up with a better offer from someone else. Not sure the Avs could even start the conversation without Ritchie’s name. Not with their system being where it’s at.
I would love to hear example of better offer.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
KOnency is just an example in terms of caliber of player

The Avs with that package can bring back a better player than Jenner

Look at 2Cs across the league signed for term, look at teams who would move them out and you can find your target via that sort of package.

Danault (would cost Ritchie + 1st prob at 50% retained and is better than Jenner)

Kadri (would cost less than that package, likely the 1st + 2nd for kadri 1M retained and is better than Jenner)

Hartman (would cost much less, prob just the 1st, but he is worse than jenner)

Would be good targets
It's pretty simple:

1. Danault isn't available. At 50% would cost more than the proposed package
2. Avs didn't want to sign Kadri to his current deal and the Flames aren't retaining on a contract for 5 years
3. Hartman isn't available and the Wild won't do the Avs any favors.

So try again?

Why. Which team would trade their LOCs or Cizicks for Laine. Cheap bottom liners are more valuable than overpaid top six guys.
Contracts nonwithstanding many teams lack scoring and put a premium on skill. If they have the cap space some bottom teams would trade some of these types in a Laine trade no question. That is of course depending on Laine's long-term status.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
It's pretty simple:

1. Danault isn't available. At 50% would cost more than the proposed package
2. Avs didn't want to sign Kadri to his current deal and the Flames aren't retaining on a contract for 5 years
3. Hartman isn't available and the Wild won't do the Avs any favors.

So try again?

Contracts nonwithstanding many teams lack scoring and put a premium on skill. If they have the cap space some bottom teams would trade some of these types in a Laine trade no question. That is of course depending on Laine's long-term status.
I doubt that. Players aren’t traded. Contracts are. And Laine has a bad contract vs your heart and soul guys like Logan O’Connor making a little over $1mm and filling an important role.

Saying contracts notwithstanding makes no sense in a hard cap league. You can never look at a hockey trade and disregard the contracts. That’s a huge component of the value.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
I doubt that. Players aren’t traded. Contracts are. And Laine has a bad contract vs your heart and soul guys like Logan O’Connor making a little over $1mm and filling an important role.

Saying contracts notwithstanding makes no sense in a hard cap league. You can never look at a hockey trade and disregard the contracts. That’s a huge component of the value.
LOC is a bad example. He's a huge value contract on a contending team. If Laine gets traded it's likely to a bottom feeder/bubble team. There's guys like Barclay Goodrow who have the intangibles but aren't on great contracts themselves that can be dealt. This is a bit of an exhausting conversation, the point was mainly that CBJ can find other good leaders/locker room guys before next season in a multitude of ways and losing Jenner wouldn't prevent that. I'm sure MTL would trade Gallagher in a Laine trade, for example.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
LOC is a bad example. He's a huge value contract on a contending team. If Laine gets traded it's likely to a bottom feeder/bubble team. There's guys like Barclay Goodrow who have the intangibles but aren't on great contracts themselves that can be dealt. This is a bit of an exhausting conversation, the point was mainly that CBJ can find other good leaders/locker room guys before next season in a multitude of ways and losing Jenner wouldn't prevent that. I'm sure MTL would trade Gallagher in a Laine trade, for example.
Fine. I can see how a bad contract in Laine would be traded for other bad contracts like Goodrow with a pick going to Columbus to make up the difference in talent level between the bad contracts.

I think at this point, Laine has very little value if any. He's already on a bad team so I'm not sure why another bad team would want him and think he'd make them better. And a good team won't be able to handle his cap hit unless they send a really bad contract the other way, which is maybe his best hope. Laine to the Oilers for Kane type deal???

I still don't see the need for Jenner to the Avs at such a high cost. Jenner isn't the kind of player the Avs are missing. They don't need leadership as they have plenty of it. They need a better 2C. Jenner plays a hard game, but gets hurt a lot and doesn't score many points. He's not a great defensive player either. He's a career 99.4 PDO player so I'm not sure there is much upside here and he's having a very modest 2023-24 season.

If the Avs are trading a 2024 1st + an awesome prospect like Ritchie... we should aim higher than Boone Jenner. Maybe Danault, who is a Selke nominee many seasons and has a 97.4 PDO this year. Career 98 PDO. Better in the dot and better defensively. A 2nd line of Lex-Danault-Nuke would be the best defensive and forechecking line in the NHL. Killer PK potential too. Kings season coming off the rails anyway.

Last edited:

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
Fine. I can see how a bad contract in Laine would be traded for other bad contracts like Goodrow with a pick going to Columbus to make up the difference in talent level between the bad contracts.

I think at this point, Laine has very little value if any. He's already on a bad team so I'm not sure why another bad team would want him and think he'd make them better. And a good team won't be able to handle his cap hit unless they send a really bad contract the other way, which is maybe his best hope. Laine to the Oilers for Kane type deal???

I still don't see the need for Jenner to the Avs at such a high cost. Jenner isn't the kind of player the Avs are missing. They don't need leadership as they have plenty of it. They need a better 2C. Jenner plays a hard game, but gets hurt a lot and doesn't score many points. He's not a great defensive player either. He's a career 99.4 PDO player so I'm not sure there is much upside here and he's having a very modest 2023-24 season.

If the Avs are trading a 2024 1st + an awesome prospect like Ritchie... we should aim higher than Boone Jenner. Maybe Danault, who is a Selke nominee many seasons and has a 97.4 PDO this year. Career 98 PDO. Better in the dot and better defensively. A 2nd line of Lex-Danault-Nuke would be the best defensive and forechecking line in the NHL. Killer PK potential too. Kings season coming off the rails anyway.
I don't see a huge difference in Danault and Jenner. Danault is slightly better but he also costs almost 2M more and there's not really a scenario where it makes sense for the Kings to move him. Jenner's point totals are low because of games missed and his team situation. Look at Lehkonen - Boone would likely pace 60 points on the Avs. He also has the added bonus of being able to play the wing and fulfill Landeskog's role if he never comes back.

The Avs should target Jenner not because he's one of the best 2C options out there but because his contract is one of the best options for a guy who is capable of handling that role for the next 3 playoff runs. He's the type of player you win with, and that 2nd line would be just as much as a nightmare with him centering it.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Brock Nelson is maybe a player the Avs would trade this package for. Value wise, Jenner isnt worth both, but if it was one of the two pieces and hes actually available, the Avs should go for it even if they are high on Ritchie. Unlikely for ritchie to be better than Jenner in the next 3 years.

So Jack Roslovic then?

Ya thats honestly more likely. As much as fans dream about a Jenner type 2/3C (i.e. size, leadership, play the right way), we won the cup with kadri providing offense/clutch goals, not two way play.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
Brock Nelson is maybe a player the Avs would trade this package for. Value wise, Jenner isnt worth both, but if it was one of the two pieces and hes actually available, the Avs should go for it even if they are high on Ritchie. Unlikely for ritchie to be better than Jenner in the next 3 years.

Ya thats honestly more likely. As much as fans dream about a Jenner type 2/3C (i.e. size, leadership, play the right way), we won the cup with kadri providing offense/clutch goals, not two way play.
Nelson would be a great pickup too but IMO

30 yr old Jenner @3.75 x 3 > 32 yr old Nelson @6M x 2

Jenners contract just gives the Avs much more cap flexibility and an extra year

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Nelson would be a great pickup too but IMO

30 yr old Jenner @3.75 x 3 > 32 yr old Nelson @6M x 2

Jenners contract just gives the Avs much more cap flexibility and an extra year
Definitely a desirable player for sure. Im just not sure if we can afford that big of an ask (ritchie plus first). We might want to get another piece (texier, danfort etc).

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I don't see a huge difference in Danault and Jenner. Danault is slightly better but he also costs almost 2M more and there's not really a scenario where it makes sense for the Kings to move him. Jenner's point totals are low because of games missed and his team situation. Look at Lehkonen - Boone would likely pace 60 points on the Avs. He also has the added bonus of being able to play the wing and fulfill Landeskog's role if he never comes back.

The Avs should target Jenner not because he's one of the best 2C options out there but because his contract is one of the best options for a guy who is capable of handling that role for the next 3 playoff runs. He's the type of player you win with, and that 2nd line would be just as much as a nightmare with him centering it.

As a Jackets fan uninterested in moving Jenner, I can tell you nonetheless that he is not in the same category as Philip Danault. Jenner is solid defensively, Danault is elite. They could both score 50 pts, but only one of them is shutting down elite opponents while doing it. Anyways, the Kings aren't going to become sellers this year even if they continue to stink it up, neither player is moving.

Laine I could see going to a good team trying to get over the hump with playoff scoring, like the Canes. It would certainly involve retained salary and or cap dumps. He probably has to come back and play some solid games first too, hard to trade for a player when you don't know which version will show up. He hasn't played well since his concussion at the start of the year.

I do see Laine getting traded, and it won't be a pretty trade for the Jackets, but they're at the point as a franchise where they have more than enough value and their primary concern is getting the right players in the right spots. Laine is an inconsistent (albeit higher end) version of a lot of young scorers they have coming up, while Jenner's role can't be replaced by someone younger.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida

I don't agree. Jenner isn't anywhere near Danault as a defensive player. Danault has been in the selke voting 5 times in the last five seasons. As high as 6th twice.

Jenner has never been in the voting once in his career. Not nearly as good a PK player either.

And I don't see any sort of Landy comparison other than the size and height. But Jenner isn't a play driver like Landy.

Danault is a much better player. I don't see Jenner as being the answer the Avs need and certainly not for a 1st + a great prospect in Ritchie.

Danault vs Jenner

Skater | HockeyStatCards.com

Reactions: Chainshot

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
As a Jackets fan uninterested in moving Jenner, I can tell you nonetheless that he is not in the same category as Philip Danault. Jenner is solid defensively, Danault is elite. They could both score 50 pts, but only one of them is shutting down elite opponents while doing it. Anyways, the Kings aren't going to become sellers this year even if they continue to stink it up, neither player is moving.

Laine I could see going to a good team trying to get over the hump with playoff scoring, like the Canes. It would certainly involve retained salary and or cap dumps. He probably has to come back and play some solid games first too, hard to trade for a player when you don't know which version will show up. He hasn't played well since his concussion at the start of the year.

I do see Laine getting traded, and it won't be a pretty trade for the Jackets, but they're at the point as a franchise where they have more than enough value and their primary concern is getting the right players in the right spots. Laine is an inconsistent (albeit higher end) version of a lot of young scorers they have coming up, while Jenner's role can't be replaced by someone younger.
I wish Laine could be the player his talent indicates, but he's so dang frustrating. His lack of attention and effort shift to shift / the details / is the kind of thing that gets you killed in the playoffs.

I'd barf my guts out if he was on the Avs and we went into OT vs a team like Vegas. I'd be 99% sure he'd loaf on a back check and watch his guy score and simply skate over the the bench and off the ice.

Contrast him to Lex... a player with no where near the offensive skill set as Laine, but a guy that is hyper focused shift to shift. Who has two series winning OT goals to his name as well as the Stanley Cup game winner over Tampa.

Teams win playoff games with guys like Lehkonen and lose them with guys like Laine.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I wish Laine could be the player his talent indicates, but he's so dang frustrating. His lack of attention and effort shift to shift / the details / is the kind of thing that gets you killed in the playoffs.

I'd barf my guts out if he was on the Avs and we went into OT vs a team like Vegas. I'd be 99% sure he'd loaf on a back check and watch his guy score and simply skate over the the bench and off the ice.

Contrast him to Lex... a player with no where near the offensive skill set as Laine, but a guy that is hyper focused shift to shift. Who has two series winning OT goals to his name as well as the Stanley Cup game winner over Tampa.

Teams win playoff games with guys like Lehkonen and lose them with guys like Laine.

That's a really out of date opinion, sorry. He hasn't had any issue on the backcheck since he was a kid in Winnipeg. Laine is actually one of the best backcheckers on the Blue Jackets. One of the reasons to try him at center was because he was first man back anyways.

Reactions: Viqsi

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I don't see a huge difference in Danault and Jenner. Danault is slightly better but he also costs almost 2M more and there's not really a scenario where it makes sense for the Kings to move him.
What folks keep overlooking is that the bolded is also true for Jenner and the Jackets.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

This is completely incorrect. What he'd do is try to carry the puck past all three opponents, lose it, and find himself twenty feet behind the play when the GWG is scored despite skating as hard as he possibly can.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
This is completely incorrect. What he'd do is try to carry the puck past all three opponents, lose it, and find himself twenty feet behind the play when the GWG is scored despite skating as hard as he possibly can.

I wonder how well Laine would do next to Mack and makar when its clear who the puck carrier/play maker should be.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I wonder how well Laine would do next to Mack and makar when its clear who the puck carrier/play maker should be.
Probably the same way he's done when we pair him with playmakers here - start absolutely destroying everyone putting up a point per game or more and then get injured within three or four weeks by some headhunting asshat.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad