Value of: Boone Jenner to COL

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Massive overpay for a guy that won’t move the needle from top contender to…. .

Let Ritchie develop. Give him one more year on the OHL and bring him in Sept 2025.

Let Jenner captain his team. Leave him be.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Generally, there's some internal motivation to trade a player. What is it in this circumstance, beyond the return being so good to justify cashing out (a few cases over the years)?

- He’s not a rental. He won’t be a rental next year either.
- There's been no report that he asked for a trade; in fact, he re-signed knowing where the team was headed competitively.
- The Jackets don’t need to clear him out to free up cap space.
- He’s a good veteran presence; he wears the the ‘C’. His is not the ice time that could be better served freed up for a younger player (that's Laine's, imo).
- A new GM hasn’t come in to turn the page, yet.

Under those circumstances, I'd be careful about being dismissive of another fanbase saying no.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
At this point I want to answer "No" forcefully enough that y'all will finally be deterred and just leave us alone. We need our veteran mentors who Play The Right Way for the existing kids far, far more than we need even more kids - and no, that doesn't mean that one should start throwing in any 32+ year old thirteenth forwards and seventh defenseman to "make it even".
I think this would be foolish for the Avs as I think Ritchie is going to be an awesome #2 NHL 2 way center but they do need an immediate upgrade at center if they want to win another SC.

Maybe they fish for Henrique?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I think this would be foolish for the Avs as I think Ritchie is going to be an awesome #2 NHL 2 way center but they do need an immediate upgrade at center if they want to win another SC.

Maybe they fish for Henrique?
I don't doubt it'd be problematic for them; I've just not commented on it because I don't know how good Ritchie legitimately is, only that he's the latest heir apparent to that Perpetual Missing #2C Except That One Time With Kadri situation. Based on that alone, if I was in that position I'd frankly want to keep him around and be bringing in someone who can cover that beat while Ritchie develops. Now, whether or not that's practically feasible... :dunno: :)

Reactions: wetcoast

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I don't doubt it'd be problematic for them; I've just not commented on it because I don't know how good Ritchie legitimately is, only that he's the latest heir apparent to that Perpetual Missing #2C Except That One Time With Kadri situation. Based on that alone, if I was in that position I'd frankly want to keep him around and be bringing in someone who can cover that beat while Ritchie develops. Now, whether or not that's practically feasible... :dunno: :)
Like I said if I was Sakic I would hang onto Ritchie and try to find a cheaper option or maybe just wing it if the injured guys can make it back in time.

Reactions: Alienblood

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I understand the desire to acquire Jenner but leaving aside value, the Jackets have been one of the youngest teams in the league for too many seasons in a row.

They've acquired the young talent. What they need to focus on is developing that young talent by surrounding them with quality vets. Jenner is one of those vets. Moving him could make the whole house of cards collapse.

MDCSL

Jun 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I know it’s an Avs thread but Bob Stauffer was hinting hard at Jenner to the Oilers, and he’s as connected as anyone in the business

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I know it’s an Avs thread but Bob Stauffer was hinting hard at Jenner to the Oilers, and he’s as connected as anyone in the business
Oilers are on a 16 game winning streak. They shouldn't touch a thing.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
I understand the desire to acquire Jenner but leaving aside value, the Jackets have been one of the youngest teams in the league for too many seasons in a row.

They've acquired the young talent. What they need to focus on is developing that young talent by surrounding them with quality vets. Jenner is one of those vets. Moving him could make the whole house of cards collapse.
Maybe that's what needs to happen?

I understand these sentiments and I get reasons for keeping Jenner. I think a big X factor here is the status of Jackets management. Current management might pull a trade like this in an attempt to save their jobs, or new management comes in and decides to shake things up (more likely in the offseason).

But hypothetically if they trade Jenner this year it doesn't automatically make them need to head into next season as a young team. They have the opportunity to move other vets in shakeup moves (i.e. Laine + Provorov) to target more 'heart and soul guys' to replace Jenner. I understand they could just keep Jenner, but the point would be to capitalize on Jenner having his peak value on his current cheap contract and get high-quality assets. 'Good vets' can be found in free agency, like we saw Nashville do this season. So I think keeping Jenner just to prevent being a young team is a bit of a lazy reason

Bottom line, Jenner on his current deal is worth more to contenders than the Jackets. There's nothing saying he can't return as a UFA when he's 34 and the Jackets are hopefully looking to contend then

Reactions: Bender

Coffees

blackhawk down
Nov 12, 2021
Massachusetts
To CBJ
Calum Ritchie
2024 1st

To COL
Boone Jenner

I'm getting some heat from fellow Avs fans for suggesting this but I really think this has the potential to make sense for both teams. I'm aware that Jenner isn't available unless it's really worth if for the Jackets and will cost a premium. I also understand the market right now is demanding high prices, so I'd rather overpay for a guy in a Hagel-like deal than for half measures like Henrique or Monahan.

Jenner has 3 playoff runs at 3.75M and would slot in nicely as the Avs 2C, while providing insurance for Landeskog if he can't return as they play a similar game and Jenner could eventually slot into that spot on the wing.

Meanwhile, Ritchie would give the Jackets a guy who just got named OHL player of the month and is progressing very well to slot in behind Fantilli sooner than later and fits the Jacket's timeline of competitiveness. Allows them to capitalize on Jenner while his value is probably as high as it will ever be
NO. MEANS. NO!!!

• Love
Reactions: McJedi

mkatcherin00

Apr 2, 2023
Oilers are on a 16 game winning streak. They shouldn't touch a thing.
I always hate that line of thinking

"Hey Holland, Crosby says he wants to come play for you guys"

"Nahhh, get lost. We are on a 16 game winning streak. F*** off will ya!"....

---------------

Jenner would be a dream. I think his dad once played for the Oilers. Maybe McDavid picked him to talk to him during the All-Star break lol

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida

I understand these sentiments and I get reasons for keeping Jenner. I think a big X factor here is the status of Jackets management. Current management might pull a trade like this in an attempt to save their jobs, or new management comes in and decides to shake things up (more likely in the offseason).

But hypothetically if they trade Jenner this year it doesn't automatically make them need to head into next season as a young team. They have the opportunity to move other vets in shakeup moves (i.e. Laine + Provorov) to target more 'heart and soul guys' to replace Jenner. I understand they could just keep Jenner, but the point would be to capitalize on Jenner having his peak value on his current cheap contract and get high-quality assets. 'Good vets' can be found in free agency, like we saw Nashville do this season. So I think keeping Jenner just to prevent being a young team is a bit of a lazy reason

Bottom line, Jenner on his current deal is worth more to contenders than the Jackets. There's nothing saying he can't return as a UFA when he's 34 and the Jackets are hopefully looking to contend then
Which team is trading away a heart and soul guy for Laine?

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009

If the Jackets would feel the need to turn around and try to replace him, that's a sign that they shouldn't trade him in the first place.

Jenner has immense value in providing a veteran presence for the young guys. If anything, the Jackets should be looking to add more guys like him at the expense of guys like Provorov and Laine.

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco

Avalanche management upon seeing a Columbus player is available:​

1707019744258.jpeg

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
Bringing up two stupid trade decisions by tampa isn't some flex. Hagel is a good a player but what team success has it translated to? Spending that much on depth players is just dumb and now Tampa is seeing the folly in that tactic with a depleted prospect pool and they are playing like the wild card team they now are.
Tampa are 8-2 in their last 10 and are climbing

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
Ritchie + 1st + 2nd shpuld get Konecny whose a tier above Jenner

Bad trade for the Avs
Except that the Avs are loaded with wingers. Laughton would be their target from the Flyers
Which team is trading away a heart and soul guy for Laine?
Heart and soul guys can be 3rd/4th liners. You could definitely get at least one or two of those guys included as extras in a Laine deal

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Except that the Avs are loaded with wingers. Laughton would be their target from the Flyers

Heart and soul guys can be 3rd/4th liners. You could definitely get at least one or two of those guys included as extras in a Laine deal
KOnency is just an example in terms of caliber of player

The Avs with that package can bring back a better player than Jenner

Look at 2Cs across the league signed for term, look at teams who would move them out and you can find your target via that sort of package.

Danault (would cost Ritchie + 1st prob at 50% retained and is better than Jenner)

Kadri (would cost less than that package, likely the 1st + 2nd for kadri 1M retained and is better than Jenner)

Hartman (would cost much less, prob just the 1st, but he is worse than jenner)

Would be good targets

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
KOnency is just an example in terms of caliber of player

The Avs with that package can bring back a better player than Jenner

Look at 2Cs across the league signed for term, look at teams who would move them out and you can find your target via that sort of package.

Danault (would cost Ritchie + 1st prob at 50% retained and is better than Jenner)

Kadri (would cost less than that package, likely the 1st + 2nd for kadri 1M retained and is better than Jenner)

Hartman (would cost much less, prob just the 1st, but he is worse than jenner)

Would be good targets
I still can't believe Bergevin let Danault walk. Unbelievable.

Reactions: hamzarocks

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
To CBJ
Calum Ritchie
2024 1st

To COL
Boone Jenner

I'm getting some heat from fellow Avs fans for suggesting this but I really think this has the potential to make sense for both teams. I'm aware that Jenner isn't available unless it's really worth if for the Jackets and will cost a premium. I also understand the market right now is demanding high prices, so I'd rather overpay for a guy in a Hagel-like deal than for half measures like Henrique or Monahan.

Jenner has 3 playoff runs at 3.75M and would slot in nicely as the Avs 2C, while providing insurance for Landeskog if he can't return as they play a similar game and Jenner could eventually slot into that spot on the wing.

Meanwhile, Ritchie would give the Jackets a guy who just got named OHL player of the month and is progressing very well to slot in behind Fantilli sooner than later and fits the Jacket's timeline of competitiveness. Allows them to capitalize on Jenner while his value is probably as high as it will ever be
Think the Avs would do this in a heartbeat. He’s also one of those players there would be loads of interest in, if the Jackets ever put him on the market.

So they’d likely end up with a better offer from someone else. Not sure the Avs could even start the conversation without Ritchie’s name. Not with their system being where it’s at.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad