Confirmed with Link: Blues sign 2 Oilers to offer sheets!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
I suspect we’ll never get a firm answer on this. Very curious to see what San Jose can get out of Ceci at the deadline. I’ve never thought much of him as a player, but if they get a 2nd at the deadline it certainly looks much better for San Jose.

Just kind of sucks to see Edmonton seemingly being able to wriggle out of cap hell for this year.

I don't think it would be easy for San Jose to get a 2nd for him at the deadline. His numbers will probably take a hit as he's going to play for a bad team and San Jose isn't able to retain on him as they already used all 3 slots. Only way I can see them fetch a 2nd is when they get another team who could take a chunk of his salary.

Reactions: STLegend

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I'm also not sold.

Clearing the room to fit both at the start (or even all of) this season is only part of the issue. I think that the cap crunch created in 2025/26 is a larger part of the equation than simply fitting them in this year (even if they are confident Kane will miss all 82 games). The more I've thought about these offer sheets, the more I think that the 2nd year of term on both was the shrewdest component of them.

Moving Ceci definitely gives them more ability to match, but I wouldn't consider it a done deal. I'm excited to find out one way or another.

I will say, If they match both and I were Bouchard's agent, I'd be telling him that we're not even considering anything with an AAV less than $11.5M. Matching both puts them in a touch position to match potential offer sheets next season and $11.5M x 5 would still be in two 1sts, a 2nd, and a 3rd compensation territory. Such a contract would also allow him to hit UFA just before his 31st birthday and take another nice payday instead of hitting UFA just before his 34th birthday if he took an 8 year deal from Edmonton. Why not see if Army is willing to make a blockbuster offer sheet next summer if Edmonton matches both this summer?

Last edited:

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
as of right now for the Oilers:

Broberg
Holloway
Cici
4th

for

Emberson
Podkolzin
2nd
cap space

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
I think Gregor's speculation is fueled by his earlier reporting that it's not set in stone that Kane will undergo surgery. A lot of people have assumed that Kane going on LTIR is set in stone, but if Kane's camp believes there's a chance he'll be healthy enough to play come October, the Oilers can't just stash him away on LTIR. Yesterday's moves could be just as much about making the team cap compliant with affordable replacements for Broberg and Holloway. With Kane in the fold and Broberg/Holloway in St. Louis, they'd have just enough space to bring in one more cheap contract to field a 23 man roster.

Considering the Oilers offers for Holloway and Broberg came in at $3M combined, just shy of Ceci's contract which was $3.25M, it's possible the Oilers may have planned to dump Ceci to open up the cap space for a healthy Kane anyway.

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
Edmonton had one of the most unbelievable runs based almost entirely on special teams. They gave up 4 PK goals ALL playoffs, while scoring SH 3 times and 19 on the PP with 0 SH goals given up. They had legit the best special teams of any team I can think of in the playoffs maybe ever. I frankly don't think they go as far next year, I'm not convinced Skinner is going to do anything in his first ever taste of the playoffs, and Ardvisson has a bad back. They spent a lot of money on question marks for the playoffs imo.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
of course it was worth a shot. if they match then we keep our picks and cap space.

its a win/win situation. the only part that would stink a bit if they match is the 2nd trade with PIT becomes worse but IMO it was still worth a shot. maybe they will flip that 2nd back to PIT again if they match lol.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Am I the only one that wouldn’t be sad if we didn’t get Broberg?
I’d be sad. It’s far from a 100% certainty, but I really think we could give Broberg the right environment to develop into an impactful top 4 dman.

It’s not the end of the world if Edmonton matches tho. Really doesn’t drasticallly change our franchise outlook from what it was before the OS. All in all, regardless of outcome, it was definitely worth the shot IMO.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
I do find it a bit odd that their hasn't been any news today. With about 16 hours to go and the moves that have been made by Edmonton I would think they would do some kind of press conference this afternoon. That maybe indicates maybe the decision hasn't been made yet. IDK maybe I am reading tea leaves but was fully expecting so kind of announcement one way or another by now.

Last edited:
Reactions: mk80

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
I do find it a bit odd that their hasn't been any news today. With about 16 hours to go and the moves that have been made by Edmonton I would think they would do some kind of press conference this afternoon. That maybe indicates that maybe the decision hasn't been made yet. IDK maybe I am reading tea leaves but was fully expecting so kind of announcement one way or another by now.
I’ve read on the main boards that they expect an announcement one way or the other later today, but that’s just speculation

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
I'm going to plant my flag and claim that we get both.

We have talked about the cap issues for both this season and next, so I'm not going to dive into those too much, as I do believe they create a massive headache for the Oilers to resign Drai and Bouchard. One thing I do want to note - that Kane's NMC becomes a modified 16 team list - so if he wants to stay on the Oilers for all of next year he simply only approves trades to teams with zero cap space to take him. Everyone is kinda handwaving away the fact that the Oilers would be able to trade him once his NMC modifies, but I'm not really sure it's that simple, as he can basically take all the crappy non-playoff teams who could eat a cap dump off the table.

A less talked about side to this, and why I think they might not match either player - The Oilers could actually use some mid-round draft picks for the upcoming TDL. At the current moment, the highest pick Edmonton has this year is a 4th. If anyone gets hurt, or is under performing, etc, the Oilers have very limited capital to make a move - especially if they need to move Kane mid-season, which they almost certainly will if they match both. I'm sure moving Kane will cost an asset, as no one is going to take a 5+M contract for this year and next for free. They still have the full slate of 2026 picks, but most teams want picks for the upcoming draft, so this hurts the Oilers bargining power during the TDL when they are supposed to be all-in.

Anyway, I'm sure two minutes after I post this the Oilers will match both, since that literally happened the last time I made a prediction

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad