Confirmed with Link: Blues sign 2 Oilers to offer sheets!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I do find it a bit odd that their hasn't been any news today. With about 16 hours to go and the moves that have been made by Edmonton I would think they would do some kind of press conference this afternoon. That maybe indicates maybe the decision hasn't been made yet. IDK maybe I am reading tea leaves but was fully expecting so kind of announcement one way or another by now.
Time difference, so it's still relatively early in Edmonton. I'd assume if they matched, they'd try to have them in for a press conference or make it some sort of celebration in defeating the offer sheets.

Then again, they could just do it last minute and make everyone wait because why not.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Time difference, so it's still relatively early in Edmonton. I'd assume if they matched, they'd try to have them in for a press conference or make it some sort of celebration in defeating the offer sheets.

Then again, they could just do it last minute and make everyone wait because why not.

Yeah but you would think that they would have announced it by now to get press there and give people some warning to tune in.

Reactions: bleedblue1223

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Oilers are gonna match neither then use the 2nd and another pick to go after a RHD that is still on a cheap bridge deal or ELC who is a better fit for their team and all of Oilers Nation will be happy and popping party poppers.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
I don't think Ceci is good, but it is crazy how much the online hockey fan community hates the guy. He makes $3.25M per season with 1 year left on his deal and people act like he is an immovable albatross who actively tries to score on his own team.

The guy hasn't been a minus player over the course of a season since 2019 (he's been +7 or better each of those seasons). His Corsi and fenwick have been 49% or better at 5 on 5 for each of the last 5 seasons. He kills penalties and plays 2nd pair minutes. Now, there is a great argument that he looks terrible doing it and shouldn't be playing 2nd pair minutes, but the guy is absolutely an above replacement-level NHL D man and a competent bottom pair D man.

In a perfect world, you don't want to be paying a bottom pair guy $3.25M. But there are now 120 D men in the NHL making $3.25M or more. $3.25M has become low end #4, high end #5 money. He's overpaid by less than a million bucks.

San Jose made their blueline better by acquiring Ceci. He is going to be playing more minutes for them than he is capable of playing well, but he is better than whoever would have been playing those minutes prior to his arrival.

A 3rd feels about right to move Ceci as we've exited the flat cap era.
Ceci isn't awful, but Oilers had no leverage and his return at the deadline isn't guaranteed. Maybe he gets injured, maybe he plays poorly, maybe it's a down market like last year's deadline. I agree he is a player who has his place and good on the Oilers for getting a deal done, but with so many teams' cap tables set, I would at least want to use the leverage SJ has as a team with a lot of cap flexibility to get more up front. We traded a 2nd to get out of Hayes and had no recent 1st round picks riding on it. Sharks have a loaded farm, just added Edstrom, one hell of a draft class, and still have 2 firsts in 2025. To cave for a late 3rd round pick and potentially another late 3rd at the deadline; I just don't think it's a good call. At least let them sweat it out a couple more days and try to get a 2026 2nd out of them....

oPlaiD

Dec 3, 2007
I'm team Badger. Edmonton is in this situation because they lack flexibility around the cap and matching the offers only makes the situation even worse when they need to offer their true core players new contracts soon. Even without matching either player, they needed to to move salary like they did with Ceci, and they also acquired two players who can play in Broberg and Holloway's spots in the lineup. As Badger said, the 2nd also gives them more flexibility come the trade deadline when they'll have a better feel what they need going into the playoffs and when they can acquire a rental who won't impact their pending Draisaitl and Bouchard deals.

Granted, the timing of the Ceci deal does give me pause, since doing it during this week while everyone knows they may be trying to match the offer sheets would in theory give them a bit less leverage. But giving up a third to do it certainly doesn't seem like they were dragged across the coals, so who knows. We will have clarity soon enough...

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Uh so this might be nothing but if you go to nhl.com/oilers/roster, Broberg and Holloway are not listed on their roster anymore. They were listed just a few days ago when I checked.
Interesting, but could be nothing. I remember within the last week or so, Kessel for some reason wasn't listed on our website, but he is now.

I'm also leaning towards getting them both at this point. I suspect they want to use the picks to get a better win-now RD option next to Nurse.

Reactions: Snubbed4Vezina

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
Interesting, but could be nothing. I remember within the last week or so, Kessel for some reason wasn't listed on our website, but he is now.

I'm also leaning towards getting them both at this point. I suspect they want to use the picks to get a better win-now RD option next to Nurse.
That would make the most sense for a team whose best chance to win a Cup is likely this season before the pay increases to Draisaitl, Bouchard, and McDavid. That's IF they can do it. Otherwise their bottom 4 looks awful.

TurgPavs

Jan 7, 2019
Nielson Show in Edmonton, thinks they are not matching. Brouchard and Drait are going to cost the Oilers close to 22+ million in cap space next summer.
If they dont match, they are still going to have to move major pieces to clear space.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Not sure why, but other rosters have their RFAs removed too, Harley isn't on Dallas' site.

Alexandrov is on ours though.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Nielson Show in Edmonton, thinks they are not matching. Brouchard and Drait are going to cost the Oilers close to 22+ million in cap space next summer.
If they dont match, they are still going to have to move major pieces to clear space.
Trading Kane could probably take care of it.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018

To be honest, It would be nice if we got them but if we didn't: "it is what is is".

However, if we DID get both after the Podkolzin and Ceci trade it would be marvelous to read the Oilers forum... First Broberg sucked... Then he was instantly good again after the Ceci trade... Lets see how they spin things this time.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Uh so this might be nothing but if you go to nhl.com/oilers/roster, Broberg and Holloway are not listed on their roster anymore. They were listed just a few days ago when I checked.

It’s interesting but I don’t think it’s indicative of anything.

I’m settled on assuming the Oilers are matching both so I can no longer be disappointed, just pleasantly surprised haha

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
It’s interesting but I don’t think it’s indicative of anything.

I’m settled on assuming the Oilers are matching both so I can no longer be disappointed, just pleasantly surprised haha

Apparantly RFA's from other teams have been removed aswell.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad