Confirmed with Link: Blues sign 2 Oilers to offer sheets!

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Strategy and speculation aside, what an amazing and life changing opportunity for Broberg.

He spent over 75% of the season last year in the AHL on a two way deal that paid him a $70k salary during his time down there. He made less than $200k last season during the regular season. I don't know how Edmonton divided up their playoff bonus, but it would have been something less than $100k for him. Less than $50k if they divided it proportionally to games played in the playoffs. He made more in 2022/23, but he spend enough time in the AHL that he almost certainly made less than NHL league minimum. He spent way more time in the AHL than NHL his rookie year too, so he was probably in the $300-$350k range that year.

A $9M contract is inarguably life changing for a person with his previous career earnings. He can't go wild, but this is legit 'lifetime security' money if he's smart. He can buy a house, a nice car, noticeably upgrade his lifestyle and still throw a couple million bucks into safe investments over the life of this deal. That's a gigantic opportunity for a young athlete that was making AHL money the previous season.

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
Only concern at this point - this is a huge roll of the dice on Broberg.

If he's just not that good, Blues lose big time. The reviews on his potential seem mixed.
As bad as 2x4.5 for Broberg has the potential to be, I still think it's a better signing than the Leddy contract from the same GM.

The only scenario where this deal hurts the Blues more than the Oilers is if some jackass GM bails EDM out by paying draft assets for Ceci or Kulak with no retention.

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
As bad as 2x4.5 for Broberg has the potential to be, I still think it's a better signing than the Leddy contract from the same GM.

The only scenario where this deal hurts the Blues more than the Oilers is if some jackass GM bails EDM out by paying draft assets for Ceci or Kulak with no retention.
Leddy was well worth that contract last season on a pairing with Parayko.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Do we? It's a two year contract during two seasons where cap space isn't going to be a concern and we're not going to compete for a Cup. All we lose is a 2nd round draft pick which likely has a slim chance of even reaching the point where Broberg is already at in his career.

It's a very, very low risk tradeoff.

For sure. If Broberg totally flops then losing the 2nd will sting though if he becomes a solid NHLer and a part of our team long term then it's a massive home run. I guess there's the chance he's traded as a rental at next year's deadline as well when we could potentially be able to get something back for him. It's a risk but one the Blues can afford to make.

Reactions: Memento

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
Strategy and speculation aside, what an amazing and life changing opportunity for Broberg.

He spent over 75% of the season last year in the AHL on a two way deal that paid him a $70k salary during his time down there. He made less than $200k last season during the regular season. I don't know how Edmonton divided up their playoff bonus, but it would have been something less than $100k for him. Less than $50k if they divided it proportionally to games played in the playoffs. He made more in 2022/23, but he spend enough time in the AHL that he almost certainly made less than NHL league minimum. He spent way more time in the AHL than NHL his rookie year too, so he was probably in the $300-$350k range that year.

A $9M contract is inarguably life changing for a person with his previous career earnings. He can't go wild, but this is legit 'lifetime security' money if he's smart. He can buy a house, a nice car, noticeably upgrade his lifestyle and still throw a couple million bucks into safe investments over the life of this deal. That's a gigantic opportunity for a young athlete that was making AHL money the previous season.

After what happened to Klefbom, and from what I've seen on the thread on their home, I don't think Oilers fans are complaining about Broberg seeking the money either. This is life-changing, enough to help a player, and if Broberg shows out with either team, he'll have a chance to earn even more.

I think they're mostly complaining about Holloway (the irony being that Holloway is from Alberta and he and his entire family are Flames fans), but even in Holloway's case, 4.5 million is a huge chunk of change compared to what he was making before. If he improves enough to be a middle-six center, he's got a chance to make even more.

This is life-changing money for these kids, and I hope that they're smart with it.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Do we? It's a two year contract during two seasons where cap space isn't going to be a concern and we're not going to compete for a Cup. All we lose is a 2nd round draft pick which likely has a slim chance of even reaching the point where Broberg is already at in his career.

It's a very, very low risk tradeoff.
Agreed, assume 1.5M is a fair contract for Broberg then all you are giving up is 3M of real Dollars and real cap space over 2 years plus a 2nd to acquire a former high 1st rounder who looks ready to break out. what is that cap space worth? if you look at the initial monahan trade to mtl when everyone thought he was done Mtl paid 6.75M in real dollars and cap space over 1 yr to get a 1st round pick. Similar value on Marleau cap dump. Broberg is worth more than a late 1st, Edm would not have traded him a week ago for a late 1st.

Mtl also acquired Newhook via trade another a former 1st rounder 16th OA in 2019 (Broberg in 8h in 2019) and they paid a late 1st and a early 2nd.

Its well worth a 2nd a bit of cap space to take a flier on Broberg.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
I'd be pretty salty if we hired Stan Bowman.
I'd be pretty salty if our #1 netminder was Skinner.
The list goes on.

Much as I complain about Army, I'd rather have him and how we do things than anything in that part of Alberta.
Agreed on Bowman, but Skinner is a better option than what we started with in 2019. We mostly got lucky that Binnington was dialed in and Husso was struggling at the time. If we call up Husso instead then, I doubt we make the playoffs.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL

If he's just not that good, Blues lose big time. The reviews on his potential seem mixed.
They might lose but it won’t be big time. It’s a 2 year deal and not that much money, the cap isn’t going to be a concern the next 2 years anyways so if he sucks they will just move on, oh well they gambled with a 2nd round pick and it didn’t work out. Not really a big deal, also it’s hard to imagine Broberg is worse than what they currently have on LD at this point

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
Agreed on Bowman, but Skinner is a better option than what we started with in 2019. We mostly got lucky that Binnington was dialed in and Husso was struggling at the time. If we call up Husso instead then, I doubt we make the playoffs.

I would argue that Skinner isn’t a better option than what we had with Allen going into that year. He’s very streaky, just like Jake was. Let’s not forget when he went god mode against a much better Wild team in 2017, and did what he could against Nashville the next round.

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
They might lose but it won’t be big time. It’s a 2 year deal and not that much money, the cap isn’t going to be a concern the next 2 years anyways so if he sucks they will just move on, oh well they gambled with a 2nd round pick and it didn’t work out. Not really a big deal, also it’s hard to imagine Broberg is worse than what they currently have on LD at this point

Busting up things on the blue line is a desperate need in itself, and to do so with a legit lotto ticket makes makes it worth the overpay/risk. Hell, we need this 2 year trial run to bring to our most legit prospects IMO.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO

I hated the Leddy extension when it was announced, but he’s been worth his contract for us.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
I would argue that Skinner isn’t a better option than what we had with Allen going into that year. He’s very streaky, just like Jake was. Let’s not forget when he went god mode against a much better Wild team in 2017, and did what he could against Nashville the next round.
Allen's average was worse than Skinner's is, Allen just had more opportunities by 2017 than Skinner has yet. It's easy to forget that Skinner is only 25.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Worst case STL walks away in 2 years from a high QO they would owe Broberg if he doesn't pan out and lose a 25 2nd rounder, whom they wouldn't see until like 2028 realistically or later.

Also, EDM, if they are able to keep Drai, are not in a position to retaliate with an OS. Need every cap dollar when McDavid, Drai, Nurse, Bouchard would count for around $45 mill in cap space in 25/26 season.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

I was hugely against the Leddy acquisition and contract. I was dead wrong. Leddy has been tremendous for us. He has been a stud. I do not know how you can watch the Blues and not think he is worth $4M. Like no clue.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
There is no scenario where Bouchard gets less than $9M a year. A team would only have to give up a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, to get him at $9.1M x 5 years and that's a slam dunk trade. He'll be 26 in year 1 of that deal, so he's not leaving AAV dollars on the table to sell Edmonton his age 31-33 seasons instead of taking a 5 year offer sheet that lets him hit UFA as a 30 year old. $9M is the absolute floor and realistically he should be able to get $10M+.

Do you view Bouchard as a #1 D? If you do, I think it would be one of the best things to happen in hockey if we also offer sheeted him. Imagine the melt down, it would be glorious.
I do have to admit, while Reports were saying we wanted to restructure our defense I didn't exactly think we would or be able to. But so far we have added multiple players that have styles that was perfer and we are attempting to snag a young player who may have untapped potential. I'm excited

I mean Armstrong did it with our centers before we won the cup. Contrary to the minorities cries for firing he really is a top notch GM.

How do we lose big time? 9m and a 2nd? That's hardly big.

Do you even watch the Blues? To say Leddy has been anything less than incredible for us is clearly blind.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes

Ultimately I don't think the Broberg contract has potential to be all that bad. It's about a 50/50 on being a huge overpay, but with where we are as a franchise, it doesn't really matter if he crashes and burns. 2 years of overpaying another defenseman doesn't really hurt.

oPlaiD

Dec 3, 2007
Ultimately I don't think the Broberg contract has potential to be all that bad. It's about a 50/50 on being a huge overpay, but with where we are as a franchise, it doesn't really matter if he crashes and burns. 2 years of overpaying another defenseman doesn't really hurt.
I tend to land in the camp that his playoff performance was pretty overrated and it's a classic small sample size trap, but I agree, there's little downside for us. He's a first round player who, while he hasn't broken out, also hasn't failed in a way that denies that pedigree. Certainly a much better use of a 2nd round pick and $4 million of cap space than, say.... Kevin Hayes...

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
EF on 32 Thoughts pod said Broberg was asking for $1.8mm and Holloway $1.2 (I believe both # on 1 year deals, although Broberg apparently was open to longer with them). Oilers fans can whine all they want, but this is 100% the Oilers fault. They didn't have to be in position for us to F*** them, but they chose to be through a combination of arrogance and stupidity.

EF also said that Blues were insistent on both offer sheets, because they figured that if was only one Oilers would match without huge heartburn. By doing both we made it much more painful for them to match both and are rather likely to get at least one. We also waited until after the arbitration period so that Oilers couldn't trade for an arb case and trigger a buyout window which could have made it easier for them to match. Pretty darn shrewd.

Drubilly

Sep 23, 2018
Collinsville
Understandable, but I'm a brutal, ruthless killer, sooooooo.......
1723686724935.gif

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Edmonton fan perspective.

Edmonton was extraordinairly close to winning the cup last year, largely based on their defensive game. Broberg was not a part of that until the end when they sat Desharnais. Even then, the more he played, the more the team tended to lose. He played second pairing minutes the first 3 games of the finals, they lost all three. He went to third pairing minutes, and Edmonton won 3 of 4. So he was not an integral piece of their D last last year.

Effectively he was to take Desharnais's spot this year. Not ideal being off side, but that was likely the plan. Edmonton did retain Stetcher, who if he did not get injured late in the season probably would have negated any chance Broberg even played in the playoffs. So for Edmonton, do you retain the D that last year was very solid (9th GA regular season, 5th if you take out that idiotic 2-9 start ....), was tied for GA with Florida in the playoffs and ran a historic playoff PK? Or do you match on Broberg, trade 2 of the D (Kulak and Ceci, meaning you lose 1/2 of the D from last year) replacing them with league minimum players (for shutdown D and PK work) and even then likely have to trade a forward to make it all work. I think if Broberg was a RHD, that would change the conversation but Edmonton is strong on the left hand side, hence why Broberg has been having issues cracking the lineup.

Edmontons window is closing, Draisatl has not resigned, and even if he does new deals for him, Bouchard and McDavid will essential gut the team of most complementary players. Aging, especially on D will start to set in in the next year or two. It seems like far too much a risk to completely revamp the D around what thus far has been a fringe NHLer when you were one goal from a stanley cup.

As for Holloway, that number if manageable. If Edmonton runs with Stecher instead of what they expected to pay Broberg, the difference is pretty close to the difference between what they penciled Holloway in for in the first place, so that decision is simply about Holloway, with minimal regard to the cap.

Oh yeah, give it a few years for karma, I'm sure payback is planned ;)
I agree 100%. Having to re-sign Dreisatl anda few others doesn't fit well with taking on Broberg's almost $4.6 million for 2 years.m It would require trading Ceci and maybe Kulak, or at least Ceci and The Oilers having so spare Cap room for emergency trades at the deadline to fill in for an injury to a key player. I think they'll match Holloway's offer, and let Broberg go to The Blues (and I'll be plenty glad for them to get him for a 2nd rounder. He';s just ready to breakout as a solid NHL 2nd pairing D-man, who can skate well, is chippy, and plays a good physical game, can move the puck up ice, makes good breakout passes, and can score a little (more than he's shown in The NHL, so far). Maybe he was a bit of a reach at #8 overall, but I think he can become a very solid #4 soon, and top off eventually, as a solid #3 NHL D-man.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
After what happened to Klefbom, and from what I've seen on the thread on their home, I don't think Oilers fans are complaining about Broberg seeking the money either. This is life-changing, enough to help a player, and if Broberg shows out with either team, he'll have a chance to earn even more.

I think they're mostly complaining about Holloway (the irony being that Holloway is from Alberta and he and his entire family are Flames fans), but even in Holloway's case, 4.5 million is a huge chunk of change compared to what he was making before. If he improves enough to be a middle-six center, he's got a chance to make even more.

This is life-changing money for these kids, and I hope that they're smart with it.
The Blues' offer to Holloway is only $2.29 million. That is low enough that most Oilers fans and outside people close to the team believe, based on leaks from inside, that The Oilers will match HIS offer. They will likely let Broberg walk, given the amount of machinations it would take and the damage it would do to their lineup to keep both, or even Broberg, alone. They aren't going to let BOTH of their youngest ready-for NHL- breakout players go for a 2nd and a 3rd Rounder. They can live with losing only one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad