Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
asset management, Emberson is a decent, young-ish Dman who had a pretty good first 30 games of his NHL career. No one is saying that he's got superstar potential. But, who knows, if everything breaks right and he develops, maybe he becomes a #4 dman, or even just a bottom pairing dman, it's way too early to tell. SJ is bad, and they expect to be bad for a few more seasons, they added a 3rd round pick and Ceci, a vet dman, with an expiring contract, who has a lot of experience, including a bunch of NHL playoffs experience - which SJ will flip to another team at the deadline or some other point in the season for another asset or 2.
maybe he will be a #4,,,but expecting him to come in and save the day is foolish
he should start in the bottom pairing

Yeah15

2nd Tier Fan
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2007
makes you wonder why SJ would get rid of such an amazing player
The conspiracy theorist in me wonders if the Oil/Sharks have a handshake deal that the oilers will match one of the offers and waive that player so SJ can snap him up instead of St. Louis getting him. Oilers lose out on the draft pick but maybe this is why the oilers were able to move Ceci and get this analytic darling on the cheap? Long shot I know, and also not even sure if this legal or possible by NHL offer sheet rules.

Yuke

Jan 15, 2020
It would. We can't create cap out of thin air.

I'm sure McDavid and Draisaitl would like to get paid more than wiping Broberg's and Holloway's bums.

They chose their own fate by signing those offer sheets. If you disagree that's your privilege.

And you are the only poster who holds Broberg in such high esteem. A one man gang. A lone wolf.
Nah. I think losing Broberg would be a huge loss. Hope I'm wrong but we will not find a replacement at 4.6 mill.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I guess, nothing's official yet, is it?

I thought on it long and hard. Initially I wanted to pass. Flip flopped a few times, and now back at not wanting the offer sheets matched.

In the end I don't hold any control over what happens regarding these offer sheets.

He's his own driver. No, I can't say I feel betrayed, only a little disappointed. How do you feel about it?
Broberg Greed, that’s how I feel about it.

Shanahanigans

Jun 16, 2011
Kulak will need to be traded to activate Kane if we sign Broberg
Nothing to go off of here except gut feeling but I get the sense Kane’s time here is done, and his career might be in jeopardy. Power forward with too many major injuries in the last few years , and on the wrong side of 30. He might crash and bang on someone’s bottom 6 when he returns from injury but his mobility is clearly gone. Watch 2022 playoff highlights and look at how he skated, and look at how he skates now. Massive difference.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
I swear some of these takes about Broberg being "can't miss" (even though his advance stats and very small sample of success otherwise preach caution) feels like reading a Lowetide article about any of the prospects with "potential".

I like Broberg but if they don't match him, it is what it is and there is risk in matching the very inflated contract.

They will have 0 flexibility to make any moves in season unless they plan to move out a good player with salary (Kulak?)

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Kulak will need to be traded to activate Kane if we sign Broberg.
Kane has a hernia, bad hip, bad shoulder and wrist issues that could be cleaned up. That will probably take a whole season.

He heals up this year and it will extend his career. If he comes back early then you trade someone. Doesn't have to be Kulak.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
Nothing to go off of here except gut feeling but I get the sense Kane’s time here is done, and his career might be in jeopardy. Power forward with too many major injuries in the last few years , and on the wrong side of 30. He might crash and bang on someone’s bottom 6 when he returns from injury but his mobility is clearly gone. Watch 2022 playoff highlights and look at how he skated, and look at how he skates now. Massive difference.

Having a sports hernia will do that to you. Hopefully he'll be back to his old self after surgery.

Reactions: Gordy Elbows

Shanahanigans

Jun 16, 2011
FWIW, I’d keep Holloway, even if he’s overpaid. Losing McLeod , Foegele , and Holloway would be a massive hit to our team and bottom 6 speed. Skinner and Henrique are slow as molasses even if they are effective.

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
I don't see what the problem is with keeping Broberg. Just trade kulak for another righty. We lose our 3 bottom D, and gain new hope. Organic improvement with broberg on the left side, starting on 3rd pairing. We're deep there to cover for injuries. The new additions on the right side, can fight for 2nd/3rd pairing. It's not like it's hard to upgrade Ceci.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Quite the disingenuous response

One is a top 10 pick who is 22 years old.

I don’t even like broberg as much as others but that’s a really lousy way of comparing the two.
Emberson is a year older, how else should you compare them?

Draft status this far removed means nothing

Reactions: Oilslick941611

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
The conspiracy theorist in me wonders if the Oil/Sharks have a handshake deal that the oilers will match one of the offers and waive that player so SJ can snap him up instead of St. Louis getting him. Oilers lose out on the draft pick but maybe this is why the oilers were able to move Ceci and get this analytic darling on the cheap? Long shot I know, and also not even sure if this legal or possible by NHL offer sheet rules.
Dreaming in technicolour. That would be grieved as circumventing the spirit and intent of the CBA. The offer sheet promises a binary choice for the guy signing - new home or old home. More broader risk of collusionary practices being called into question (the league has some history in this). The NHL PA Head Guy who served as the highest-ranking Labour official in the U.S. government would love to take that on. The league not wanting to lose another issue with a PA head with real chops and collective bargaining on the horizon would not let this pass its highly questionable attempt to circumvent. Nor I doubt would the Oilers want to embarrass themselves further after bungling this situation with their two young pedigree players.

Reactions: Yeah15

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
It's almost time...

692760.jpg

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
Whatever they do, it can bite us later on.

If they walk away from Broberg, the decision must be made of how much they Believe in him, not about capspace for coming contracts. I assume they already had a plan for that, anything else would be stupid. His 3m raise ( i assume he got 1.5/1.6 if they had signed him) isnt mission impossible.

We got a warm body from the Nucks to replace Holloway.

Our prospect pool still stinks, went from 30 to 25 in Nhl with some new additions.

McDrai is prority 1, but if we hasnt anything behind, it will be a sad time after Ekholm retires or losing a step or 2. Broby could be the natural replacement there in a couple of years.

Also want to see more of Bouchard holding himself before im sold to give him top dollars. They have bridged him so far for a reason.

If some miracle happened and Nurse can live up to that contract its to much to hope for.

Think its pointing at match Broby as the move suggest, why move Ceci in a hurry then if they dont gonna match, seems odd.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
Emberson is a year older, how else should you compare them?

Draft status this far removed means nothing

I don’t think that’s necessarily true …

It seems broberg has value around the league. And I think a lot of it has to do with his potential ceiling.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
no they didn't

and the Oilers were deep enough last year that Stetcher was the 8th D in the organization
now, some are penciling him in beside Nurse LOL
A lot of people here were screaming for the team to play Stecher over Ceci down the stretch and into the playoffs. He showed well when he played, and honestly if it wasn’t for the injury he might’ve been the one who got pulled into the lineup when Vinny struggled instead of Broberg. I’m still shocked Stecher stuck around for the contract he did, and I believe he’s going to blow expectations out of the water this year.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
Dreaming in technicolour. That would be grieved as circumventing the spirit and intent of the CBA. The offer sheet promises a binary choice for the guy signing - new home or old home. More broader risk of collusionary practices being called into question (the league has some history in this). The NHL PA Head Guy who served as the highest-ranking Labour official in the U.S. government would love to take that on. The league not wanting to lose another issue with a PA head with real chops and collective bargaining on the horizon would not let this pass its highly questionable attempt to circumvent. Nor I doubt would the Oilers want to embarrass themselves further after bungling this situation with their two young pedigree players.
You cant trade,let say Holloway for a year, thats written in stone. But if Holloway dont make it out of camp? Pod or some else outplay him . You must have the right to send him down? If someone claim him on waivers, cant be a suspicius move.

We only made a a normal trade(Ceci) to the team first to pick (san jose).

We lose a 3 round pick by making the wrong decision on a offersheet though.

But Crime City doesnt get the player!

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
A lot of people here were screaming for the team to play Stecher over Ceci down the stretch and into the playoffs. He showed well when he played, and honestly if it wasn’t for the injury he might’ve been the one who got pulled into the lineup when Vinny struggled instead of Broberg. I’m still shocked Stecher stuck around for the contract he did, and I believe he’s going to blow expectations out of the water this year.
Stetcher has been the same his whole career good skater and puck transporter but board battles and net coverage are his downfall , which makes him a tweener . pretty much better skating Barrie without the offence

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I wish they could offer Broberg that money. Maybe they can. Maybe they will.

If they have a trading partner lined up for Kulak, go for it.

Kulak was always going to be the easier defenseman to move between him and Ceci, He's a good player with real value.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Just to be on the record before the big decisions tomorrow. I would match the Holloway contract, I think he is a close to sure bet to outperform that contract on a 2 year window, not the value deal we were all hoping for, but I definitely see letting him go as a mistake.

With respect to Broberg I would not match, but I certainly wouldn't hold it against anyone who was on team match, there is a good amount of potential there and if he lives up to it, he's the kind of d-man that's very hard to acquire in a trade.

If we guess wrong I do believe Broberg is the one that will sting more, just cause he's got the higher ceiling and plays the more important position and there isn't exactly a shortage of wingers who would want to play with McDrai at reasonable-ish cap-hits. That said Broberg's $4.58M cap-hit is rather significant for someone you aren't 100% sure can do the job required of him and I can't say he is highly likely to outperform that cap-hit; further worsened by our inability to trade him for a year if he regresses at all and we want to fill his spot with someone else, maybe waiver wire would save us from the cap-hit if he flounders and we just say the 2nd round pick was something we sacrificed to extend the evaluation window.

Last edited:

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
Broberg is an 8th overall 6'4" 22 year old who skates very well and is trending upwards.

He has far more pedigree than the others and did play like one in his latest stint.

It's hard to believe the Oilers would let that go for a 2nd round pick...

It also seems strange that the Oilers would let a team walk all over them like that. You're then just asking for it again next year. Oh well, I guess we will soon find out which way the cookie crumbles.
This is unfortunatelly the issue which could end up consting us some cap space: Broberg has draft pedigree.

Where he drafted should make absolutely no difference, but in reality if he was exactly the same player/prospect but was drafted in the second round, probably nobody would want to match.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad