Blues 2024 Off-Season Trade Proposals Thread

TurgPavs

Jan 7, 2019
I would hope that his agent family advisor knows what a 'signing bonus' is and would understand what his actual compensation would entail. That seems like a fairly low hurdle to clear, but here we are. If no one has told this kid that he gets a signing bonus each year of his ELC then it wouldn't surprise me if he is making horrible financial decisions.
Brian, I am sure he knows very well what his Entry Level Signing Bonus is. I believe his would be 95K per year over the first 3 seasons.

However, I am sure his agent/advisor/family, also knows, that if Minnesota's NIL and the NCAA Revenue Sharing is "AT" or above what his AHL/Signing bonus would be, that it COULD make more sense, for JS to stay in school, until he is eligible to hit UFA on August 15th 2026.
Do I think that is going to happen...NO, however the pathway has been created due to NIL and NCAA Revenue Sharing.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
The whole discussion feels kind of pointless anyway. I'm not saying it's a 100% guarantee that he signs with us at the end of his NCAA season, but if there was a greater risk of him wanting to go UFA route, I think we would've heard about it by now. A family advisor dropping hints or some other leak about how talks weren't going anywhere, teams contacting the Blues, etc.
Agreed, I have almost zero concern of Snuggerud trying to stay another year to walk to free agency.

It does seem plausible that NIL money is penetrating sports like hockey faster than information is reaching the public. But I don’t have much insight into how all that stuff works.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
The whole discussion feels kind of pointless anyway. I'm not saying it's a 100% guarantee that he signs with us at the end of his NCAA season, but if there was a greater risk of him wanting to go UFA route, I think we would've heard about it by now. A family advisor dropping hints or some other leak about how talks weren't going anywhere, teams contacting the Blues, etc.

My thoughts exactly. I can't imagine the reason he's staying in school is for money. I take him at face value when he gave his reasons in that interview awhile back. I'm guessing him and his family aren't hurting for money and he knows he's getting paid whenever he makes the jump to the NHL.

It is an interesting discussion however to consider the impact that this college money could influence players going forward but the amount will have to go up a lot to make guys want to delay their NHL career simply to make a bit if extra money in college.

Reactions: MissouriMook

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
My thoughts exactly. I can't imagine the reason he's staying in school is for money. I take him at face value when he gave his reasons in that interview awhile back. I'm guessing him and his family aren't hurting for money and he knows he's getting paid whenever he makes the jump to the NHL.

It is an interesting discussion however to consider the impact that this college money could influence players going forward but the amount will have to go up a lot to make guys want to delay their NHL career simply to make a bit if extra money in college.
Depending on how quickly the NIL pot grows for college hockey, you could see changes to the ELC terms in the next CBA to address the issue of there being potentially more financial incentive for NCAA committed players to stay in school the full four years.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Brian, I am sure he knows very well what his Entry Level Signing Bonus is. I believe his would be 95K per year over the first 3 seasons.

However, I am sure his agent/advisor/family, also knows, that if Minnesota's NIL and the NCAA Revenue Sharing is "AT" or above what his AHL/Signing bonus would be, that it COULD make more sense, for JS to stay in school, until he is eligible to hit UFA on August 15th 2026.
Do I think that is going to happen...NO, however the pathway has been created due to NIL and NCAA Revenue Sharing.
Possible, sure. But pretty unlikely IMO.

My guess is he chooses both. Plays this season at Minny, collects respectable NIL money, then signs with the Blues in April instantly getting the $95k signing bonus and burning the first year of his contract. Then getting paid a bit more to play pro hockey for a couple weeks - likely at his prorated NHL salary as even Army said he told Snuggerud the plan would be for him to join the Blues at that time.

He’d then get another $95k bonus a few months later on 7/1/25.

Could he wait it out until 8/15/26? Sure, but I highly doubt it. He’s been very upfront and clear about his intentions about turning pro after his Jr season. Could he change his mind? Could he be lying? Yeah, but I have no reason to think so.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Depending on how quickly the NIL pot grows for college hockey, you could see changes to the ELC terms in the next CBA to address the issue of there being potentially more financial incentive for NCAA committed players to stay in school the full four years.
This totally makes sense. The last CBA was written up well before any of this NIL stuff came into play. If NIL money grows to where it changes the power/negotiating leverage of entry-level players, the league would of course want to adjust their parameters to match the new reality.

Reactions: MissouriMook

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
If Snuggy was showing any signs of wanting to test free agency I would like believe that Army would have moved him at the Draft for an extra 1st.

TurgPavs

Jan 7, 2019
Just to be clear, my point is that the path for players to stay in college has been put in place. You look at the restructuring of the Fanatics Deal from 4% royalties to the now, 15-30% royalty payments directly to players, and other companies like Athletes Thread paying out anywhere from 20-40% Royalties', directly to players, and you can start connecting some pretty serious dots.

Snuggy, directly, or indirectly thru DTR, has Royalty deals in place with several companies, Fanatics, Athletes Threads, Folly Coffee, Yelloh, etc.

All NIL Deals have to be disclosed to the AD office, but they do not have to be disclosed to the public.
The other side of the NIL deals is upfront direct payment to the athlete.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
It also looks like the winds are shifting towards CHL players not losing NCAA eligibility. Whether that is the NCAA voluntarily changing the rules or the courts telling them they have to, I don't see how it doesn't happen within a decade. NIL money will probably grow enough to be a major financial consideration in that same timeframe.

I don't think we are too far from a reality where teams don't just have to worry about NCAA kids. A CHL kid having the ability to jump to the NCAA and make real money is going to cause the exact same issue of guys 'outwaiting' the team who drafted them. The reason we don't currently see CHL kids trying to outwait their drafting team is a lack of options better than getting signing bonus money while they play CHL hockey.

It will be really interesting to see how the PA leverages this in negotiations. It is an issue that doesn't directly impact present PA membership, but could create a massive headache for the league in a few years. Does the PA sell it for peanuts to help current membership or do they play hardball with something because it is so meaningful to the league?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
And I'll be curious which players are most at risk for teams. The top-end prospects will always have the ability to trying to force their way out if they don't like they club they are with, but I see NIL most impacting the players with pretty limited pro upside, but are there for organizational depth. Will a junior player sign with a club or AHL club, go to Europe, or try and get the best NIL deal possible at a major program?

I think we are still at the early stages, where we really don't know what the NIL impact will be for the NHL. I don't think the financial benefit will every truly be there for the top-end prospects for it to make sense financially, it'll just make it hurt a little less if they were already wanting out of the club that drafted them. Or does NIL impact remain mostly within the NCAA level, meaning that it doesn't really impact the NHL clubs, but NCAA programs where the few big hockey programs start to collect the stars, like Minnesota with Wood.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
It also looks like the winds are shifting towards CHL players not losing NCAA eligibility. Whether that is the NCAA voluntarily changing the rules or the courts telling them they have to, I don't see how it doesn't happen within a decade. NIL money will probably grow enough to be a major financial consideration in that same timeframe.

I don't think we are too far from a reality where teams don't just have to worry about NCAA kids. A CHL kid having the ability to jump to the NCAA and make real money is going to cause the exact same issue of guys 'outwaiting' the team who drafted them. The reason we don't currently see CHL kids trying to outwait their drafting team is a lack of options better than getting signing bonus money while they play CHL hockey.

It will be really interesting to see how the PA leverages this in negotiations. It is an issue that doesn't directly impact present PA membership, but could create a massive headache for the league in a few years. Does the PA sell it for peanuts to help current membership or do they play hardball with something because it is so meaningful to the league?
I wouldn't be surprised if the league wanted to eliminate or modify the current rules that allow a player to wait out the signing period and become a UFA if not signed by a certain time as this landscape evolves. Everything is negotiable, and they would likely have to make a worthwhile concession, but I don't see the league being OK with (potentially) dozens of players each year biding their time making decent-to-great NIL money staying in college, then ditching the team that drafted them to play where they prefer.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I wouldn't be surprised if the league wanted to eliminate or modify the current rules that allow a player to wait out the signing period and become a UFA if not signed by a certain time as this landscape evolves. Everything is negotiable, and they would likely have to make a worthwhile concession, but I don't see the league being OK with (potentially) dozens of players each year biding their time making decent-to-great NIL money staying in college, then ditching the team that drafted them to play where they prefer.
The league will for sure want to change it.

The question is at what cost? An increase in the player share of HRR? Lowering the age/experience requirement to get to UFA? A mechanism for players to re-negotiate existing contracts? Elimination of the hard salary cap in favor of a soft cap or luxury tax system? Most of the players' wants are financial and I don't see the league giving away real dollars (or the power to squeeze established drafted players) in order to address an issue retaining prospect rights.

It's been a long time since players gained things in a CBA negotiation. The league got the cap in 2005 with an immediate 24% rollback of all existing contracts. The big win for the players was avoiding a 2nd season with no paychecks. . In 2013, the league brought in maximum contract lengths and knocked the player share of HRR from 57% to 50%. The most recent one was the most 'win-win' negotiation where the players' big win was keeping all of their money after COVID shut the league down and crushed the year's HRR total. The resulting flat cap was the payback for them getting to keep all the paychecks in 2019/20 (and avoiding a salary rollback in 2020/21).

Since then, the PA brought in a new leader and I could see them gearing up for an actual fight where they try to actual gain things instead of just limiting damage. I know the league will want to re-work how long you keep a guy's draft rights, but that could be the PA's biggest bargaining chip and my gut tells me that the NHL won't be willing to make the concession required for the PA to open that door.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
You sound smarter already!

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
If the Blues move Faulk they better have a really good plan to replace him. To me, Krug is the obvious weak link. It’s either him or bust IMO. If we can’t trade him then I’d still try to add a decent LD and then Krug and Perunovich can compete for the 3LD role/7th d-man. Or if not Perunovich, then some other d-man making near league minimum.
Why has the dislike of Krug spilled over to Faulk?

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I had to go look at that post of mine from 3 months ago to remind myself of the topic. :laugh:

Faulk wasn’t very good last year so IMO, some have lumped him in with Krug. IMO though, Faulk had a pretty good reason - he was dealing with a high ankle sprain all season. I think there’s a pretty good chance he bounces back this season. Krug…just sucks. I have no expectation of him ever becoming the Krug of 5ish years ago again. I don’t lump the two together. Faulk can still be very useful. Krug is a boat anchor. Still decent enough to be NHL 3rd pairing caliber but we don’t need him and he’s making 1st paring money so yeah…boat anchor.

Reactions: Vladys Gumption

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003

I also think Kessel's play may have opened some eyes and therefor willingness to move him. That and he is going to be 33 and so he will see a down turn in his play due to age. Krug will be 34.... And frankly, Krug was better than Faulk last year - 100% due to injury, but still.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
I also think Kessel's play may have opened some eyes and therefor willingness to move him. That and he is going to be 33 and so he will see a down turn in his play due to age. Krug will be 34.... And frankly, Krug was better than Faulk last year - 100% due to injury, but still.

a lot of Dmen play very well into their late 30's. 33 coming off of an injury season is a bit early for me to assume a downturn in play.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
I dont dislike Faulk, but I do think he's much much easier to move than Krug and we would get much more back in value.
I think this is it. Everyone would obviously prefer to move Krug but Faulk should be easier to move, and a shake up is needed. I do however think he was just injured last year and should rebound to his usual self this season.

Reactions: Celtic Note

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I think this is it. Everyone would obviously prefer to move Krug but Faulk should be easier to move, and a shake up is needed. I do however think he was just injured last year and should rebound to his usual self this season.

One of my main concerns is that we ran into that the year prior with Krug where he was injured and it was easy to write that off as he should be better next year.

I think we could improve by moving one of them regardless of who it is. The issue is the quality you'd have to bring in to replace Faulk momentarily would need to be higher than it would be for Krug. Both have a skill set that is a benefit, but for god's sake I can't watch those two paired together anymore. The issue with not pairing them together as well at this time is then you are forced to absolutely cave in Parayko and Leddy because we don't have a strong bottom half of the group.

In a perfect world, you could form either the 2nd or 3rd pair into a defensively strong - offensively inept pairing that you can throw out there 18 minutes a night. I just am not sure I can trust Krug/Faulk as a pair to be out there in sheltered minutes and not give up 2 goals a night on miscommunications or errors regularly.

Reactions: RORbacon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad