TSN: Laine cleared to return from Player Assistance Program

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
Huge risk for any team willing to take a chance. Not only the money, but what happens if he slips again. Avs experienced it in the playoffs. I would take him for free, but wouldn't give up much of anything to take on that kind of risk.
CBJ doesn't need the cap space and he's not causing any problems. This has been explained repeatedly. So getting him for free or for a cap dump, seems unlikely.

Why would any team, make another team better (or give them a chance to get better) for absolutely nothing? Or worse taking a cap dump?

Seems thoughtless.

Shocker

Dec 20, 2019
Debatable

Your assessment belies this.

Not even remotely true.

One-off injuries, but otherwise true.

Never has. He's asked out but never quit.

This is the most ludicrously absurd thing in your entire post.

So, basically, you're 1 for 6 in your assessment. Not very good work. I advise you get over the days when folks used to insist he was better than Matthews and stop butting into threads trying to push nonsense narratives about the guy.
As a veteran here. you should know not to respond to known trolls like him.

Anyways, let the Laine lowball offers start, i'm grabbing popcorn.

domi28

Dec 5, 2017
Clear some
Cap space ?

They're loaded with young guys and prospects of every type at every position but until those guys actually show they're capable capable top6 forwards or top4 dmen or 1G the team needs are everything. Last season they were 25th in goals for and 31st in goals against partially because of coaching but also because they're well behind most teams in the league in actual on ice talent.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Vrana played at a 40 goal pace for the Red Wings and they had to pay to dump him to St. Louis. Every situation is different, but PAP (and injuries) seem to have a big impact on player value.
Yah, no doubt his value is low. But he's shown hes still capable of being a top end winger if healthy.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
That video of Laine dryland training with those football players...I get it, he's been away, but he doesn't look athletic at all. He looks like those competition hobbyhorse girls. I've defended him for years but that video changed my opinion.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
Very polarizing figure on the Jet's board. Many would love to have him return, while others want no part of him. Someone reported (but I don't know source or accuracy) that he would be fine playing in Winnipeg again.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Put him on a line with Bedard or send him to Utah, should be another big scoring Winger

• Haha
Reactions: Lorenzo1000

ijuka

May 14, 2016
When and link.
I’ve had broken collarbones, and didn’t have the treatment Laine would have have, was back playing in 2 months, felt 100% after 3-4 months.

He’s not still recovering from collarbone, unless has carpal tunnel from Fortnite now.
Shoulder isn't collarbone, I injured my shoulder like 10 years ago and it's still not 100%

EquivalentStay

Jul 27, 2020
When and link.
I’ve had broken collarbones, and didn’t have the treatment Laine would have have, was back playing in 2 months, felt 100% after 3-4 months.

He’s not still recovering from collarbone, unless has carpal tunnel from Fortnite now.
You think someone making millions of dollars a year is getting worse medical care then you, some nobody going to the walk-in? Holy moly.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
I haven't seen him in a while and haven't really followed what's been going on with him but was looking up his stats and was surprised to see, in his first 4 seasons he missed only 7 games total. In his last 3 years he's played in 129 of 246 games or 52% of possible games yet he has 117 pts in those 129 games, that's f***ing crazy. To miss that much time (almost 1 1/2) yet when he plays he's close to a ppg (.91%)
Vrana had a similar run then the first full year after he got out of player assistance he had 6 points in 21 games and that was it

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Huge risk for any team willing to take a chance. Not only the money, but what happens if he slips again. Avs experienced it in the playoffs. I would take him for free, but wouldn't give up much of anything to take on that kind of risk.
This is the correct answer. Laine value is low and if he stays healthy and plays well to start the year, his value only goes up a bit. No team is giving up a 1st for laine unless laine can have a bounce back year.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
What would interest you from the Habs?
I legit can't think of anything that would work for both sides, because both teams have a ton of kids that they're trying to develop and are wanting to take that Next Step out of "acquire prospects" and into "playing better" and thus have very similar needs and Don't Wanna Give Up type priorities. Essentially, we need those sorts of higher-skill "glue guys" to help the kids grow and/or established skill players to shield 'em - but last I checked that's also what Montreal's after. So IDK in y'all's case.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Based upon what Waddell says he is looking for, I could see either Chicago or (more likely) Utah offering a pair of 2nd's and a D prospect.
I suspect at a minimum a 1st is going to have to be involved for a pure picks-and-prospects package. Not a high one, but a 1st nonetheless. The reason is that depth picks are not something we need - the prospect pool is already deep enough that we've been giving folks away. So adding more does nothing valuable for this team - and therefore about the only practical approach left is "crank that Value Required knob as high as it will go and see who breaks first".

• Haha
Reactions: Pierce Hawthorne
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad