each player's ideal training regimen

oba

Feb 2, 2024
First off, apologies for starting another thread. But hey this is the quiet summer days, where all the lads are by the lake etc. And getting ready to start up their summer training regime, of course.

So what does each Orca need to shore up their game, and take it to the next level?

There are some serious pundits here who seem to know their caca. Like in that goalie analysis thread.

What does every player need to work on the most, so that their game becomes super effective.

And yes, so that starting with GAME 83 ..... when the real caca starts to hit the fan, these guys are ready to face FOUR super vicious, brutal and hungry teams, and somehow .....plough through ALL of them .....!!

OF COURSE !!!!!

______

allow me to offer a couple ...:

Desharnais: skating, edge work, close in pivoting, short passing ....

Hughes: body bulk up to take hard checking, bounce off checks.

Boeser: more of exactly the same !!!

Pettersson: solid power skating, better anchoring, lower body power workouts ...

Joshua: skating speed, edge and pivot. Quick passing skills.

All the Swedes: some basic combat technique.

Hronek: body muscle to fend off checks.

Myers: close-in edge work and pivoting (Hughes-style), high percentage breakout skills.

Most players: accurate hard one- timers from every possible angle. (Get Drai to come in disguise to teach those) ....

Coaching staff:

Sedin brothers: - Brazilian jiu jitsu with a dummy that looks like Marchand ....

Toc: not much except... Super-short interview technique, while revealing ZERO valuable trade secrets ....

Ohhh, lots more ...... Wow feel like a hockey guru already.

All right alright..... You gets threads like this in the summer .... Dang. Gonna be hordes now, ordering that Marchand dummy ....

Last edited:

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
I work in fitness so I love to talk about this stuff. For me the most important thing for everyone would be cardio, cardio, cardio. A good blend of interval training to increase the lactic threshold and low intensity cardio for recovery and to not overtrain.

One of the things I hated about the strength and conditioning for young players and prospects roughly 10 years ago was putting too much focus on putting on as much muscle as quickly as possible. Like we saw with Boeser and looked a lot slower because their skating hasn’t caught up to their body weight. We also see this smaller players like Hughes and Pettersson as well with comments about needing to put on a bunch of muscle. When part of what makes them so effective is being elusive and evading checks. Not saying they can’t get stronger or put on weight, but not at the cost at what makes them effective. I would work on full body strength, but really target the lower body and core. I would add a lot of cable kickbacks because unlike other lower body exercises it works the gluteus Maximus while the leg is behind the body like in skating motion. Also inner and outer thigh exercises, balance exercises, and working stabilizer muscles particularly in the shoulder to help prevent shoulder injuries.

Last but not least, lots of stretching and flexibility training. Not what people think of first when doing offseason training. It is so important though to strengthen the connective tissue, lessen the chance of injury, and it even increases strength gains compared to those who don’t stretch.

What I like about Tocchet is that he has really stressed starting training early. Early is always better. There are no short cuts in fitness, and if you try to play catchup it is likelier to result in injury. Hopefully the boys put in a good summer of training, with good nutrition, lots of sleep, and stay away from alcohol.

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
I work in fitness so I love to talk about this stuff. For me the most important thing for everyone would be cardio, cardio, cardio. A good blend of interval training to increase the lactic threshold and low intensity cardio for recovery and to not overtrain.

One of the things I hated about the strength and conditioning for young players and prospects roughly 10 years ago was putting too much focus on putting on as much muscle as quickly as possible. Like we saw with Boeser and looked a lot slower because their skating hasn’t caught up to their body weight. We also see this smaller players like Hughes and Pettersson as well with comments about needing to put on a bunch of muscle. When part of what makes them so effective is being elusive and evading checks. Not saying they can’t get stronger or put on weight, but not at the cost at what makes them effective. I would work on full body strength, but really target the lower body and core. I would add a lot of cable kickbacks because unlike other lower body exercises it works the gluteus Maximus while the leg is behind the body like in skating motion. Also inner and outer thigh exercises, balance exercises, and working stabilizer muscles particularly in the shoulder to help prevent shoulder injuries.

Last but not least, lots of stretching and flexibility training. Not what people think of first when doing offseason training. It is so important though to strengthen the connective tissue, lessen the chance of injury, and it even increases strength gains compared to those who don’t stretch.

What I like about Tocchet is that he has really stressed starting training early. Early is always better. There are no short cuts in fitness, and if you try to play catchup it is likelier to result in injury. Hopefully the boys put in a good summer of training, with good nutrition, lots of sleep, and stay away from alcohol.
You should send them a resume they could use you :thumbu:

LandfiII

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021

I am wondering a thing. You may be able to answer it, but also maybe not. I guess a good place to start would actually be by asking if you're all learned and stuff on nutrition science as it pertains to sport. Then I'll nitty gritty ya.

Reverend Mayhem

Tell me all your thoughts on God
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
@Bojack Horvatman may know more but what I’ve noticed in my experience, when people on here mean “get stronger” I agree but maybe not in the way they mean. It’s all lower body, the biggest thing in hockey. Especially EP, like when he falls, look at him. His body is very unique for a hockey player at least in his equipment because his calves look tiny. I would suspect he can’t bite the ice enough with his top-heaviness so it’s kinda like pushing a tower over.

In my experience, the least helpful thing for me was a whole bunch of weight up top. I gradually improved my skating but I was still easy to push around. Then I dropped 40 pounds and all of a sudden I became really hard to get on the ice. Now, this is fat we are talking about :laugh: but it seemed a bit counterintuitive to me.

And it’s like Pierre always said it’s all about the trunk.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
I recall Crosby having thighs that were huge compared to his body ratio, I believe that's the ideal hockey body of a typical hockey player.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
last offseason was largely great for guys fixing problems. garland learned how to stop spinning and spinning until he was stuck in the corner and start making sure the puck is always moving in the direction of the net. jtm learned how to focus and channel his emotions in useful ways. boeser finally learned some goddamn fundamentals.

so this offseason, my wishlist is topped by

hronek: shoot 1,000 pucks a day and learn to hit the motherf***ing net

tocchet: resist the urge to play hughes and demko to within an inch of their lives no matter how much the other guys are sucking

PP: crisp passes, move your feet, remember that the puck’s natural environment is the net and send it home

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I'd be lying if I said my first thought after reading the thread title wasn't to picture the Clockwork Orange theatre scene but with Pettersson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad