Proposal: Rasmus Dahlin For Moritz Seider

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
There are reasons why the Sabres are bad and have been for Dahlin’s entire time there. He eats a lot of minutes but (as you point out) the club struggles defensively when he’s on the ice.
IMO Dahlin ranks below those D men you listed from his draft. He isn’t even top 10 (especially considering his contract) at this time. If this trade was offered I think Yzerman is the one to hang up. Seider looks like he’s going to grow into being a more complete player. And teams win with complete players, especially on D.
He went almost a month after the All-Star game this year without allowing an even strength goal when he was on the ice. He is extremely talented defensively.

These takes get frustrating.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
He went almost a month after the All-Star game this year without allowing an even strength goal when he was on the ice. He is extremely talented defensively.

These takes get frustrating.
Dahlin is paid like a top player in the league. IMO he’s not one of those guys. He needs to put together his game, so he’s not a defensive liability. He should sacrifice some offence and commit to his defence.
It’s just my opinion, of course, but I think Dahlin has a lot to improve on to be a complete player. Considering this is why I prefer Seider. I think he will be the more impactful player. So Yzerman would not make a one for one trade.

• Haha
Reactions: BUCKSHOT

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019

### 1. **Impact in a Weaker Environment**:
- **Team Context**: Dahlin has been playing on a Buffalo Sabres team that has struggled significantly during his tenure. This impacts his ability to showcase his full potential because of weaker offensive support, defensive depth, and inconsistent goaltending. In contrast, Makar benefits from playing on a Colorado Avalanche team loaded with talent, including elite forwards like Nathan MacKinnon and Mikko Rantanen, making his job easier.
- **Pressure**: Dahlin's role on a weaker team puts much more pressure on him to be both the offensive catalyst and the defensive anchor. His development has occurred in an environment where mistakes are magnified, and opportunities to succeed are fewer, which makes his progression even more impressive.

### 2. **Skill Set and Versatility**:
- **Offensive Skill**: Dahlin is an elite offensive defenseman who excels at creating plays from the blue line. His vision and puck-moving abilities are outstanding, and he is an essential part of Buffalo's power play. Despite fewer high-quality teammates, Dahlin has consistently produced points, and his ability to control the pace of the game is reminiscent of the best puck-moving defensemen in the league.
- **Defensive Responsibility**: Dahlin has to take on more defensive responsibility than Makar. Given Buffalo’s weaker roster, Dahlin often faces the top lines of other teams without the benefit of a strong supporting cast. He has been forced to develop a more well-rounded game, improving his defensive zone coverage and physical play to compensate for his team's shortcomings.

### 3. **Development and Potential**:
- **Growth under Adversity**: Dahlin’s growth, despite the challenges of playing for a struggling franchise, speaks volumes about his potential. He has had to mature quickly and develop leadership qualities in an environment where it’s harder to succeed. This adversity has made him a more resilient and well-rounded player.
- **Ceiling**: Dahlin was the first overall pick in 2018 for a reason. His combination of size, skating, and hockey IQ is exceptional. When Buffalo improves its roster and provides Dahlin with better support, his full potential could be unleashed, making him one of the most dominant players in the league.

### 4. **Underrated Contributions**:
- **Lack of Recognition**: Playing on a smaller market team like Buffalo also means that Dahlin doesn’t receive the same media attention or recognition as Makar, who plays for a high-profile team in Colorado. Despite this, Dahlin has quietly become one of the league’s top defensemen, and his contributions are often overlooked simply because his team isn’t contending for championships yet.
- **Consistency in Adversity**: Dahlin has shown remarkable consistency, even as Buffalo has gone through coaching changes, roster turnover, and struggles with team identity. He has been a stabilizing presence for the Sabres, and his ability to maintain high-level play under difficult circumstances should be celebrated.

### Conclusion:
While Cale Makar is undoubtedly an exceptional talent, Rasmus Dahlin’s ability to thrive despite playing on a weaker team like Buffalo makes his case for being the better defenseman more compelling. Dahlin has been forced to take on a larger role in all areas of the game, develop leadership skills, and perform under constant adversity. His ceiling remains incredibly high, and once Buffalo improves as a team, Dahlin’s true dominance will become more evident. Therefore, Dahlin’s ability to excel in a difficult situation can be seen as even more impressive than Makar’s success on a more stacked roster.

Last edited by a moderator:

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
### 1. **Impact in a Weaker Environment**:
- **Team Context**: Dahlin has been playing on a Buffalo Sabres team that has struggled significantly during his tenure. This impacts his ability to showcase his full potential because of weaker offensive support, defensive depth, and inconsistent goaltending. In contrast, Makar benefits from playing on a Colorado Avalanche team loaded with talent, including elite forwards like Nathan MacKinnon and Mikko Rantanen, making his job easier.
- **Pressure**: Dahlin's role on a weaker team puts much more pressure on him to be both the offensive catalyst and the defensive anchor. His development has occurred in an environment where mistakes are magnified, and opportunities to succeed are fewer, which makes his progression even more impressive.

### 2. **Skill Set and Versatility**:
- **Offensive Skill**: Dahlin is an elite offensive defenseman who excels at creating plays from the blue line. His vision and puck-moving abilities are outstanding, and he is an essential part of Buffalo's power play. Despite fewer high-quality teammates, Dahlin has consistently produced points, and his ability to control the pace of the game is reminiscent of the best puck-moving defensemen in the league.
- **Defensive Responsibility**: Dahlin has to take on more defensive responsibility than Makar. Given Buffalo’s weaker roster, Dahlin often faces the top lines of other teams without the benefit of a strong supporting cast. He has been forced to develop a more well-rounded game, improving his defensive zone coverage and physical play to compensate for his team's shortcomings.

### 3. **Development and Potential**:
- **Growth under Adversity**: Dahlin’s growth, despite the challenges of playing for a struggling franchise, speaks volumes about his potential. He has had to mature quickly and develop leadership qualities in an environment where it’s harder to succeed. This adversity has made him a more resilient and well-rounded player.
- **Ceiling**: Dahlin was the first overall pick in 2018 for a reason. His combination of size, skating, and hockey IQ is exceptional. When Buffalo improves its roster and provides Dahlin with better support, his full potential could be unleashed, making him one of the most dominant players in the league.

### 4. **Underrated Contributions**:
- **Lack of Recognition**: Playing on a smaller market team like Buffalo also means that Dahlin doesn’t receive the same media attention or recognition as Makar, who plays for a high-profile team in Colorado. Despite this, Dahlin has quietly become one of the league’s top defensemen, and his contributions are often overlooked simply because his team isn’t contending for championships yet.
- **Consistency in Adversity**: Dahlin has shown remarkable consistency, even as Buffalo has gone through coaching changes, roster turnover, and struggles with team identity. He has been a stabilizing presence for the Sabres, and his ability to maintain high-level play under difficult circumstances should be celebrated.

### Conclusion:
While Cale Makar is undoubtedly an exceptional talent, Rasmus Dahlin’s ability to thrive despite playing on a weaker team like Buffalo makes his case for being the better defenseman more compelling. Dahlin has been forced to take on a larger role in all areas of the game, develop leadership skills, and perform under constant adversity. His ceiling remains incredibly high, and once Buffalo improves as a team, Dahlin’s true dominance will become more evident. Therefore, Dahlin’s ability to excel in a difficult situation can be seen as even more impressive than Makar’s success on a more stacked roster.
You can be a fan of dahlin all you want

No one outside of maybe Sabres homers see him anywhere near Makar

He needs to show hes better than Bouchard, Hughes and Dobson.

Uphill battle based on his failures so far.

No excuses for a failed rebuild which Dahlin is the crown piece on

MAtthews/Marner dont get to escape their playoff failures and play make belief on here

Neither does Dahlin and the rest of sabres core who keep sucking and failing to make the playoffs a half decade after they were expected to

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Dahlin is paid like a top player in the league. IMO he’s not one of those guys. He needs to put together his game, so he’s not a defensive liability. He should sacrifice some offence and commit to his defence.
It’s just my opinion, of course, but I think Dahlin has a lot to improve on to be a complete player. Considering this is why I prefer Seider. I think he will be the more impactful player. So Yzerman would not make a one for one trade.
Did you even read the post you quoted there? Dahlin is pretty clearly not a liability and is relied on to be his team’s #1 defensive option.

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
Did you even read the post you quoted there? Dahlin is pretty clearly not a liability and is relied on to be his team’s #1 defensive option.
Thank you. The myth that Dahlin is a defensive liability needs to end.

Nothing at all against Seider, who is a fine player, but the Sabres don’t touch this.

Reactions: BUCKSHOT

K1900L

Dec 27, 2019
Prime Bobby Orr and Prime Nick Lindstrom. Those are the 2 players I take over Dahlin. Cale Makar is not as good defensively and I’d love to see what Dahlin/Makar would do if they switched teams offensively.

Sieder can’t tie Dahlins skates. Dahlin and Makar are in a league of their own.

Ps- I’m a leafs fan who hates the Sabres.
Being aged 52, Sieder of the Kickelhahn Rangers might actually not be able to tie Dahlin's skates due to severe back injuries.
What about Moritz Seider, though?

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019

MAtthews/Marner dont get to escape their playoff failures and play make belief on here

Neither does Dahlin and the rest of sabres core who keep sucking and failing to make the playoffs a half decade after they were expected to
The Sabres are no longer a bottom feeder team. They are a bright future. No one on here agrees with you. Dobson has literally showed nothing to place him in a Makar/Dahlin or even Fox/Hughes category. Quinn is maybe slightly better on the PP but that’s it. Bouchard is great on the oilers PP but what else does he do? Put Dahlin in Bouchards situation and you’re looking at 100+ points and around 200 blks/Hits then great defence on Par with Hampus Lindholm/Brodin. I’d say Slavin is better in his own end but I really didn’t like him in last years playoffs. I’d like to see a war chart comparison between Dahlin and Slavin

Being aged 52, Sieder of the Kickelhahn Rangers might actually not be able to tie Dahlin's skates due to severe back injuries.
What about Moritz Seider, though?
Do you actually know who that random guy is?

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY

"ROR is a loosah!"

"Eichel is a loosah"

"Sam is a loosah"

What happened shortly after all these guys left the Pegula Sabres?

Reactions: Realgud

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
"ROR is a loosah!"

"Eichel is a loosah"

"Sam is a loosah"

What happened shortly after all these guys left the Pegula Sabres?
Dahlin can be great and still not be better than other guys who are outperforming him.

The sabres needs to eventually come out of this decade of failure, and he has to leas them out of it.

His norris record is 8th and 15th the past two years and before that he couldnt play defense at a top 4 level.

He is solid in his own end now but no where close to being #2D in the league

He hasnt seperated himself from the other 2018 elite d-man, which he needs to do next year before you can compare him to makar, fox, heiskinen etc

The Sabres are no longer a bottom feeder team. They are a bright future. No one on here agrees with you. Dobson has literally showed nothing to place him in a Makar/Dahlin or even Fox/Hughes category. Quinn is maybe slightly better on the PP but that’s it. Bouchard is great on the oilers PP but what else does he do? Put Dahlin in Bouchards situation and you’re looking at 100+ points and around 200 blks/Hits then great defence on Par with Hampus Lindholm/Brodin. I’d say Slavin is better in his own end but I really didn’t like him in last years playoffs. I’d like to see a war chart comparison between Dahlin and Slavin

Do you actually know who that random guy is?
Dahlin hasnt shown anything to place him in this imaginary tier you have created. Ots just his draft hype which he has failed to live up to that can be used to pretend hes in the the best of the best D-man tier

Fringe top 10D is what his past two seasons have him as.

8th and 15th are his best norris finishes the past two years.

Needs to build on that before he seperates himself from Dobson, Bouchard , with Hughes being comfortably ahead of Dahlin for peak/prime/career so far

Bouchard was the 2nd best player for the oilers ahead of Draisaitl for this playoff run and was ppg

Dobson plays on a worse offensive scoring team than Dahlin, and was putting strong offensive numbers with 70 pts.

Hughes just won the norris after 3-4 years of being 65-70 pt player. He had 90 pts and was the best player on the canucks who wemt to 7 in the WCSF a year after they were considerably worse than the sabres due to Hughes taking the next step and becoming a top 3/4D in the league

Last edited:

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Dahlin can be great and still not be better than other guys who are outperforming him.

The sabres needs to eventually come out of this decade of failure, and he has to leas them out of it.

His norris record is 8th and 15th the past two years and before that he couldnt play defense at a top 4 level.

He is solid in his own end now but no where close to being #2D in the league

He hasnt seperated himself from the other 2018 elite d-man, which he needs to do next year before you can compare him to makar, fox, heiskinen etc

Dahlin hasnt shown anything to place him in this imaginary tier you have created. Ots just his draft hype which he has failed to live up to that can be used to pretend hes in the the best of the best D-man tier

Fringe top 10D is what his past two seasons have him as.

8th and 15th are his best norris finishes the past two years.

Needs to build on that before he seperates himself from Dobson, Bouchard , with Hughes being comfortably ahead of Dahlin for peak/prime/career so far

Bouchard was the 2nd best player for the oilers ahead of Draisaitl for this playoff run and was ppg

Dobson plays on a worse offensive scoring team than Dahlin, and was putting strong offensive numbers with 70 pts.

Hughes just won the norris after 3-4 years of being 65-70 pt player. He had 90 pts and was the best player on the canucks who wemt to 7 in the WCSF a year after they were considerably worse than the sabres due to Hughes taking the next step and becoming a top 3/4D in the league
Your are pretending a team sport is like tennis. Put any of the guys you mentioned on the Sabres and none of them do any better than Dahlin. Oh and remember two years back where the Sabres nearly made the playoffs: Take a guess which player getting aced by a Carter Verhegee cheapshot into the crossbar of our goal led to the bad stretch that cost us that playoff spot?

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Well, looks like I started something here. Really interesting, passionate debate. Thank You to everyone who put in a response. I think I need to add context to why I made the thread in the first place. This may place responses in a different context.

So, I am a Jets fan who lives in Vancouver. I watch as much Jets games as I can and that is well over half when work doesn't get in the way. I watch about 15-20 Canucks games and playoffs because well, they are right there, in front of your face, can't help it. I am shocked Quinn Hughes never came up in conversation but more on that later.

I find Detroit and Buffalo to be fascinating teams. I find how they have drafted and built their teams to be just awesome. The pieces they have assembled blow my mind. I am a huge fan of their prospect pools and young players. Its like walking down the street and observing the best looking woaman you have ever seen, salt to taste, and not being able to turn away.

Also, envy is a massive factor here for me too. I was reviewing my Winnipeg Jets young stars tournament roster and was all happy about Colby Barlow, Braydon Yager blah blah blah. Then I saw the defence. Outside Elias Salomonsson the defence was absolute complete trash. I would trade most, if not all, of my family members away to have names like Seider, Ericsson, Sandin-Pellika, Dahlen, Power and Byrum on my team. My brain would explode.

So, how much have I seen Dahlen or Seider play, not a lot, single digit viewings for both players, but I have watched hours of highlights on YouTube. I know, bad bad way to scout players, Guilty as charged.

So when I realized Seider's contract had yet to be signed I wondered if this would be possible. However, I didn't put the proposal through in a vacuum. The real reason as I reflect is an issue around balance. With Dahlen, Power and Byron all on the left (this was before I read feedback about Dahlen's play on the right) I wondered how Buffalo was going to structure their defence. Because before any of these young superstrars elevate their games they need strong partners. Cale Makar has Devin Toews, Quinn Hughes has Filip Hronek. Evan Bouchard has Aron Ekholm. Seider is not going to improve until he gets a better partner than Walman. So I wondered how on God's green earth is Buffalo going to get real partners for these wonderful d-men? How will they be supported to succeed or be stuck carrying around trash beside them for God knows how many years. Bowen Byrum was tried on his right side and failed. I don't think Owen Power is ready to do that, hence the thought of getting the right handed Seider on Buffalo's right side. Also, Power, Dahlen and Byron aren't physical d-men in the Seider way, so a fairly soft team like Buffalo would benefit in that way. I thought that perhaps, the offensive upside lost by Dahlen leaving would make them better in playoffs because of what Seider brings to the table and how everyone is on their preferred side and maximizes their ice time. Another guy that would help you greatly would be Rasmus Andersson. Different trade proposal for another time.

SO, I learned that Sabres fans here would strongly disagree with the assessment Dahlen is limited to his left side and does not play physical. The highlight packages I saw, and I found some 20 minute plus long, showed him making plays from equally the left and right sides of the ice.

Now ideally, surely Sabres fans can't argue with this, is the best way for Dahlen to move forward is for him to play on the side he performs best at, and then gets him a high end partner to play with for a long time. Maybe Samuelson, Jokijarju, or Clifton is that guy but they aren't Toews, Ekholm or Hornet that's for sure. Once the Dahlen issue is settled, then you can get Power and Byrum settled in on their best sides. I think you could create a defensive group that could be one of the best in NHL history. I think your group could be that good. Seriously.

Detroit has better balance and it would be tempting for them given how much offence Dahlin could provide them. However, even in the Lidstrom glory days they had a bruiser like Kronwall, although Ericsson could be their physical guy.

I would like to see what the analytics guys say about Dahlen on the left vs Dahlen on the right, that would be very interesting.

Clearly Sabres fans who watch him day after day have strong opinions and I had no idea he was as highly thought of in your market as he is.

Although I did not watch a ton of Sabres games I did last summer watch a few hours of Sabres off ice programming because I was curious about what their personalities were off the ice. This was before they had their disappointing season last year. The young guys were followed around playing golf and then going back to Dahlen's place and playing video games. Personality wise I found them reserved for young people. Certainly no one presented themselves as strong enough to challenge the room to play better in rough times. I saw features on Alex Tuch and Kyle Okposo and they were quite serious about improving the team but whatever they said fell on deaf ears. It appeared the team really needed more veterans. Take that for what it's worth as this is an observation made from far far away through promo material.

Quick thought on Quinn Hughes, him and Makar are the best 2 d in the league, Hughes is such an incredible skater he can twist and turn past any forechecker in the league without much effort. It's unreal to watch. No one, even Dahlen, has that skill. When you have that skill, you don't need to be big or have a booming shot or lay out guys with bodychecks. His skating is from another planet.

I am a Jets fan and its not easy giving Canucks players praise, because this city is filled with west coast douchebags like you wouldn't believe, so this is painful praise I am giving here.

I know missing the playoffs for so long is incredibly frustrating, but you are on the precipice of something really big. Don't lose sight of that fact. Now that you have Zach Benson you're in even better shape. I hope your management can fill in the right supporting cast.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Your are pretending a team sport is like tennis. Put any of the guys you mentioned on the Sabres and none of them do any better than Dahlin. Oh and remember two years back where the Sabres nearly made the playoffs: Take a guess which player getting aced by a Carter Verhegee cheapshot into the crossbar of our goal led to the bad stretch that cost us that playoff spot?
Dobson is doing just as much as Dahlin on a worse offensive team than the Sabres, he had an insane offensive year for a generally putrid isles offense.

The canucks were worse than the Sabres in 2022-2023 and then Hughes took another step and became a hart level player. He is the best player on the Nucks and provides the most value

Bouchard does have a lot of help but hos playoffs are legandary, he broke the all-time D-man assist record. That isnt something you can expect Dahlin to jist walk in and be able to do

The sabres have been building and drafting prospects. They have a strong prospect pool but still cant win and always end up missing the playoffs. The team has strong playwrs top to bottom, Dahlin has a lot of help now and moving forward, if he is a top 3D league wide he will he leading the sabres to deep playoff runs soon and be a yearly norris contender.

If the sabres and dahlin dont take that next step this year its time to face reality and accept that he isnt a franchise player and the sabres cant develop prospects into quality NHLers

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Dobson is doing just as much as Dahlin on a worse offensive team than the Sabres, he had an insane offensive year for a generally putrid isles offense.

The canucks were worse than the Sabres in 2022-2023 and then Hughes took another step and became a hart level player. He is the best player on the Nucks and provides the most value

Bouchard does have a lot of help but hos playoffs are legandary, he broke the all-time D-man assist record. That isnt something you can expect Dahlin to jist walk in and be able to do

The sabres have been building and drafting prospects. They have a strong prospect pool but still cant win and always end up missing the playoffs. The team has strong playwrs top to bottom, Dahlin has a lot of help now and moving forward, if he is a top 3D league wide he will he leading the sabres to deep playoff runs soon and be a yearly norris contender.

If the sabres and dahlin dont take that next step this year its time to face reality and accept that he isnt a franchise player and the sabres cant develop prospects into quality NHLers
I think your post is spot on except for the last part. If they miss next year giving in to emotions would be the worst thing to have happen. That leads to panicky moves that leads to the bad Saoie to Edm trade. This group requires patience but it will be worth it.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
True but not as good as rookie year quite clearly . Which is what I was referring to . Both great young d. Dahlin is just more accomplished to this point imo

I wasn't talking about Dahlin though. You said Seider was bad, and he wasn't.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
I wasn't talking about Dahlin though. You said Seider was bad, and he wasn't.

Let’s also not forget Seider’s been taken off PP1 in favor of Hronek and Gostisbehere the two seasons Detroit has had Lalonde. And the fact that Seider was given far more defensive zone starts than any other D on the team because everyone else isn’t half as reliable as him there.

Reactions: JohanFranzenstein

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
The reason Seider isn't signed is cause the Red wings DO NOT want to give the kind of contract Dahlin has.

Reactions: Stony Curtis

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
He has shown nothing to be above either of them

Both had significantly better years and Bouchard is the one of the greatest performing defenseman of this generation offensively.

Dahlin doesn't get a pass for the sabres failure just like other stars dont get a pass for their teams failures

He hasnt been close to what was expected and despite that still a top 10ishD which shows he has a huge ceiling

He needs to put it all together. The tools and talent is there to be a norris winner and yearly contender but he is entering his prime now, if he cant deliver in the next 3 or 4 seasons then he wont be able to live up to his talent.

He needs to be a two way force that gives ~75-80 pts and helos the sabres make deep runs. He makes insane money for what he brings at the moment at 11.5M, has to break out to justify that deal

This is some sensational wording. “One of the greatest performing defensemen of this generation offensively. ”

lol. He’s had exactly ONE elite offensive year, and he still only finished 4th in points for defensemen.

Yet he’s somehow one of the greatest of this generation.

What an absolutely wild statement

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
This is some sensational wording. “One of the greatest performing defensemen of this generation offensively. ”

lol. He’s had exactly ONE elite offensive year, and he still only finished 4th in points for defensemen.

Yet he’s somehow one of the greatest of this generation.

What an absolutely wild statement
But, yet not the wildest statement in this thread. I mean one poster said Dahlin is better than Makar.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad