Blues 2024 Off-Season Trade Proposals Thread

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
True, but you can still upgrade the team if the right player is available. I’d love to acquire McGroarty if we can.
If that right player was a young/emerging #1D or a top end center that might land us that player then I would agree. But a winger is probably at the very bottom of the list of things we need, only slightly higher than a goalie at the bottom of the list.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
If that right player was a young/emerging #1D or a top end center that might land us that player then I would agree. But a winger is probably at the very bottom of the list of things we need, only slightly higher than a goalie at the bottom of the list.

I’d have him play center for us

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
I kind of agree, but as has been the case with looking for a #1 D, it's a lot easier said than done. It's not just that we can't get someone with that type of potential with Bolduc and Dean, or a similar package, but that guys who project to be that just aren't usually available. Having said that, if we can upgrade a position then it's not really an issue what our other needs are. Winger wasn't our biggest need when we traded for Buchnevich either, but it turned out to be a great deal.

But I do think it comes down to how the FO values Dean. We don't have a lot of projectable center assets. If they think he can be our 3C of the future then it's hard to pull the trigger on two top 9 players, one at a premium position, for a better winger is a tall ask. If they've soured on him a bit since the trade and value Rutger notably more than Bolduc, pull the trigger.

Reactions: ArenaRat

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
McGroarty would fit our prospect pool and window perfectly. Him and Neighbors would be beastly together. Would Dean + 2nd + 3rd + Buchinger be enough?

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
McGroarty would fit our prospect pool and window perfectly. Him and Neighbors would be beastly together. Would Dean + 2nd + 3rd + Buchinger be enough?
I don't see a point of throwing away a bunch of assets to get a player who already players a position that we have multiple players in. If you're going to be making a trade trade for a defenseman, not another forward

Reactions: Snubbed4Vezina

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
A trade for McGroarty makes sense if you are basically taking someone in his position (wing), maybe add something that you don't have that high of expectations for, and you upgrade the position in the process. Bolduc+ for McGroarty makes sense. Sure, I'd in theory prefer to move Bolduc+ for a defensemen of that caliber, but if that's not an option, I wouldn't pass up a deal where we upgrade to a higher end winger.

I do think we are at a point in our rebuild where 1 quarter is worth more to us than 3 dimes.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
A trade for McGroarty makes sense if you are basically taking someone in his position (wing), maybe add something that you don't have that high of expectations for, and you upgrade the position in the process. Bolduc+ for McGroarty makes sense. Sure, I'd in theory prefer to move Bolduc+ for a defensemen of that caliber, but if that's not an option, I wouldn't pass up a deal where we upgrade to a higher end winger.

I do think we are at a point in our rebuild where 1 quarter is worth more to us than 3 dimes.

I agree. But is McGroarty better than Bolduc? I ask, because I don't know and it is a bit hard to figure out across two different leagues

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
f*** Rutger McGroarty. He sounds like another entitled asshole.
Do you think Adam Fox is an entitled asshole as well? I’d gladly take him on our team.

Talent is talent. I’ll take as much as we can get, and McGroarty is a projected top six winger with leadership qualities (captained the U20 U.S. team last year) and production in college. McGroarty would automatically slot on our top line.

Reactions: Mike Liut

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Do you think Adam Fox is an entitled asshole as well? I’d gladly take him on our team.

Talent is talent. I’ll take as much as we can get, and McGroarty is a projected top six winger with leadership qualities (captained the U20 U.S. team last year) and production in college. McGroarty would automatically slot on our top line.
Fair enough

Reactions: Memento

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I agree. But is McGroarty better than Bolduc? I ask, because I don't know and it is a bit hard to figure out across two different leagues
Most or all rankings have McGroarty pretty significantly ahead of Bolduc and more or less on par with Snuggerud.

Bolduc made me a lot more confident in him based on his performance in his NHL stint, but at similar ages, I think McGroarty has been the superior prospect. Maybe Bolduc should've made Canada's WJC, maybe Canada being deeper is part of it. Bolduc didn't have a great year at the AHL level, then again, Schwartz didn't put up crazy numbers either when he was at that level, and he developed just fine.

I don't think I'd push hard for McGroarty, but if he was willing to sign here, I'd certainly ask Winnipeg what the ask is.

Last edited:

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I don't see a point of throwing away a bunch of assets to get a player who already players a position that we have multiple players in. If you're going to be making a trade trade for a defenseman, not another forward

I see Dean, a 2nd, a 3rd and Buchinger as not true impact players. McGroarty on the other hand, looks to me as very impactful. I don’t view the assets we are giving up as depleting our system by any means. We would still have plenty of assets available if a #1 D came available.

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
I see Dean, a 2nd, a 3rd and Buchinger as not true impact players. McGroarty on the other hand, looks to me as very impactful. I don’t view the assets we are giving up as depleting our system by any means. We would still have plenty of assets available if a #1 D came available.

But why would Winnipeg give up by far their best prospect for not true impact players? You have to think from their terms as well (tried to ask on their board; one said that it's impossible what Chevy thinks because he keeps his secrets close to the vest, but that he attempted to trade McGroarty to the Wild for the first before they fell in love with Buium), but that NHL-ready younger players are something they're lacking.

Their prospect pool is very bare, and what little they have is not NHL ready. Colby Barlow is their next best prospect, and he won't be ready for a few years. Their NHL team is competitive and somewhat in their prime at the moment as well, so I don't think a 2026 second and 2025 third are going to move the meter.

That's why I think Bolduc would be absolutely necessary to give up, along with something else substantial. The more I think about it, the more I'd be willing to give up Bolduc and Dean for McGroarty. Would that be ideal for us? I don't know, but given that Stenberg's projecting more and more as a potential middle-six center, that we already have a pecking order at center that Dean would be hard pressed to crack unless he shows out, that McGroarty could potentially crack our roster after signing with us after his college year along with Snuggerud...well, I don't think that Winnipeg would accept any less, and I have to admit, I was a fan of McGroarty in his draft year, and he hasn't done anything to dash that.

EDITED AFTER TALKING WITH WINNIPEG FANS: Yeah, they're not going to go for a second/third swap or lower picks/prospects. It's going to be something that we'd hate to give up. We're talking about a divisional rival; it would have to help them and hurt us.

Last edited:

Linkens Mastery

Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Is McGroarty a defenseman? He is not. We should not be using assets to trade for a position that is already filled up by multiple players.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
But why would Winnipeg give up by far their best prospect for not true impact players? You have to think from their terms as well (tried to ask on their board; one said that it's impossible what Chevy thinks because he keeps his secrets close to the vest, but that he attempted to trade McGroarty to the Wild for the first before they fell in love with Buium), but that NHL-ready younger players are something they're lacking.

Their prospect pool is very bare, and what little they have is not NHL ready. Colby Barlow is their next best prospect, and he won't be ready for a few years. Their NHL team is competitive and somewhat in their prime at the moment as well, so I don't think a 2026 second and 2025 third are going to move the meter.

That's why I think Bolduc would be absolutely necessary to give up, along with something else substantial. The more I think about it, the more I'd be willing to give up Bolduc and Dean for McGroarty. Would that be ideal for us? I don't know, but given that Stenberg's projecting more and more as a potential middle-six center, that we already have a pecking order at center that Dean would be hard pressed to crack unless he shows out, that McGroarty could potentially crack our roster after signing with us after his college year along with Snuggerud...well, I don't think that Winnipeg would accept any less, and I have to admit, I was a fan of McGroarty in his draft year, and he hasn't done anything to dash that.

EDITED AFTER TALKING WITH WINNIPEG FANS: Yeah, they're not going to go for a second/third swap or lower picks/prospects. It's going to be something that we'd hate to give up. We're talking about a divisional rival; it would have to help them and hurt us.

You’re probably right. I’m just really high on Bolduc. I’m greedy, I want Bolduc, Neighbors and McGroarty along side of Snuggs, Dvo , Stenberg, Kyrou and Thomas. That’s a lethal top 9.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
Is McGroarty a defenseman? He is not. We should not be using assets to trade for a position that is already filled up by multiple players.
Are there any D prospects of McGroarty’s level and age available for this kind of package? No chance, not that this package would even get you McGroarty, I’m pretty sure it wouldn’t but it’s something to explore as if he is unwilling to sign there is a chance to get him for less value than he’s worth. If we have a chance to bring in higher end talent for some of our prospect depth I think it’s definitely worth considering. Obviously we would rather get a Dman but there aren’t any available at that level/age

Linkens Mastery

Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Are there any D prospects of McGroarty’s level and age available for this kind of package? No chance, not that this package would even get you McGroarty, I’m pretty sure it wouldn’t but it’s something to explore as if he is unwilling to sign there is a chance to get him for less value than he’s worth. If we have a chance to bring in higher end talent for some of our prospect depth I think it’s definitely worth considering. Obviously we would rather get a Dman but there aren’t any available at that level/age
I just don't see a point of constantly throwing assets towards wingers and winger prospects.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I just don't see a point of constantly throwing assets towards wingers and winger prospects.

We'd be upgrading a winger prospect though. Dean isn't moving the needle on a game changing D prospect. We'd upgrade on Bolduc (assuming you think he is an upgrade). We need a first pair D, but if we could trade Krug for a good 2nd pairing D are you going to quibble over adding one of our 7th or worse prospect because it doesn't address our main need? If a deal to improve is there, take it. Don't pass waiting for a deal that may never appear.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
If we can add McGroarty to our high end prospects at the cost of pool depth, it would make it much easier to stomach sending out one of the other high end guys for an impact D and in a roundabout way be essentially converting our prospect depth into acquiring our main need.

blue zone

Apr 14, 2024
McGroarty is not the prospect that Gauthier is, and Gauthier netted a D in Drysdale that cannot stay on the ice and has not been very good when he has been able to suit up and a 2nd rounder. Draft position means little when you have been in the Show for 3 years. Philly took a beating on that trade, because they pretty much had to do so. Winnipeg is in a similar position now. Bolduc and Dean would be an overpay.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
McGroarty is not the prospect that Gauthier is, and Gauthier netted a D in Drysdale that cannot stay on the ice and has not been very good when he has been able to suit up and a 2nd rounder. Draft position means little when you have been in the Show for 3 years. Philly took a beating on that trade, because they pretty much had to do so. Winnipeg is in a similar position now. Bolduc and Dean would be an overpay.

Drysdale had a pretty good 21-22 and a decent rookie season when he came up. It was on Anaheim, so it questions how much to weigh in +\- but nonetheless Drysdale is still a 6’ very good skating RHD that has offensive ability that plays at the NHL level. He’s also only 22.

I agree draft position shouldn’t matter. He’s lost quite a bit of development time to injury, but it still wouldn’t surprise me if Drysdale is a pretty good # 3 in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad