Prospect Info: Blues 2024-2025 Prospect Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
I hope Dean hit the weights this summer. It’s time to be a man. Although, I’m not so sure he has the frame or body type that can facilitate muscle gain.

LetsGoBooze

Let the re-tool breathe
Jan 16, 2012
Thanks for posting. I find his categories too broad to be of much use. "Depth" is 2nd-4th liners? So that would be anything from a Trochek to a Brodziak, from a Perron to a Kostin. How is that helpful?
I think it objectively highlights the fact we dont have any truly elite prospects, and a Blues overall ranking outside of the top 10 prospect pools is inline with where unbiased fans/analysts would place us.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I think it objectively highlights the fact we dont have any truly elite prospects, and a Blues overall ranking outside of the top 10 prospect pools is inline with where unbiased fans/analysts would place us.
It subjectively highlights his opinion of our prospects. And I think you (and he) are significantly underselling our pool. We likely don't have any truly elite players, but we have several who projects as at least top half of lineup players. How many teams can match that? Rankings vary, but it's entirely reasonable to rank our pool in top 10. For example, EP is doing countdown ranking now and they are through 12 and we haven't been listed yet, so we are at least top 11 (and maybe higher) in their minds.

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
It subjectively highlights his opinion of our prospects. And I think you (and he) are significantly underselling our pool. We likely don't have any truly elite players, but we have several who projects as at least top half of lineup players. How many teams can match that? Rankings vary, but it's entirely reasonable to rank our pool in top 10. For example, EP is doing countdown ranking now and they are through 12 and we haven't been listed yet, so we are at least top 11 (and maybe higher) in their minds.
EP is pretty low on Lindstein as well

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

LetsGoBooze

Let the re-tool breathe
Jan 16, 2012
I love our pool for the hand we've been dealt, only one top 10 pick in the past decade+. Our scouting team has done a phenomenal job at finding players in the middle-late of round one. I would just personally rank a team higher that had say three truely elite prospects, over our pool that by all accounts has a ton of depth and plenty of upside but also is full of prospects that are open to a big range of outcomes.
That being said, DA has done a great job through solid picks at our (later)draft positions and now his recent offer sheets. The best part is we dont necessarily need to have one of the 'best' prospect pools to become one of the better teams of the next decade. We already have some young elite talent on the current roster, that once we flood it with our depth of prospects and add a few more savvy moves/trades we have a strong chance of being in the mix for a long time. My biggest point is: Ranking of prospect pools does not directly correlate to future success.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
His depth players could be up to second line or second pairing. While I would have like to have seen that broken out more, it’s hard to argue with his overall assessments too much.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Whatever runs through Binnington’s veins that made him think he’d dominate Game 7 is elite. No goalie plays like that all the time, but that entire postseason he would find something special after a mediocre game.

I saw an interview during the season not that long after “Do I look nervous?” that was almost a throwaway line at the end of answering a question. He said, “I always felt I was destined to do something great.”

I believe when he got on that run and the team got into the postseason that Jordan Binnington thought it was his destiny to win the Cup, and for the Blues to win it as a consequence. Some athletes reach great heights and then wilt or just fine quite have anything more to give when they reach their game 7s.

I’m not convinced that Binnington doesn’t have another run like that in him if the circumstances are right.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I love our pool for the hand we've been dealt, only one top 10 pick in the past decade+. Our scouting team has done a phenomenal job at finding players in the middle-late of round one. I would just personally rank a team higher that had say three truely elite prospects, over our pool that by all accounts has a ton of depth and plenty of upside but also is full of prospects that are open to a big range of outcomes.
That being said, DA has done a great job through solid picks at our (later)draft positions and now his recent offer sheets. The best part is we dont necessarily need to have one of the 'best' prospect pools to become one of the better teams of the next decade. We already have some young elite talent on the current roster, that once we flood it with our depth of prospects and add a few more savvy moves/trades we have a strong chance of being in the mix for a long time. My biggest point is: Ranking of prospect pools does not directly correlate to future success.
I mostly agree with this. I would just say there likely aren't 10 teams that have 3 elite prospects.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I mostly agree with this. I would just say there likely aren't 10 teams that have 3 elite prospects.
It also worth noting that the Blues' winning formula has been to have lots of 'good' players, but not necessarily any superstar players. That's the recipe that allowed them to be tops in the conference for points over an extended period of time, getting several bites at the post-season apple before the magical year. Maybe add an elite player the way they acquired ROR when there are just one or two missing pieces and you're trying to take that final step.

We are poised for a couple years of rising young guys establishing whether they want to part of the next competitive core. Not every one of the promising Blues prospects is going to stick. Some may fizzle, and some will be spent as currency to get a different type of player. Hopefully we don't have Runblads or Bokks, but if we do hopefully we turn then into Tarasenkos and Faulks.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Don’t really care much what Pronman or some others think. Especially guys that try to cover all 32 teams. I think the hockey world is collectively sleeping on Lindstein in particular. I figured leading the WJC in D scoring and +/- with an additional year left of eligibility would be his coming out party but I guess not. Oh well. Doesn’t change what he’ll actually become and if anything, reduces the pressure/hype on him so he can just go about his business and develop at the pace he needs.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Don’t really care much what Pronman or some others think. Especially guys that try to cover all 32 teams. I think the hockey world is collectively sleeping on Lindstein in particular. I figured leading the WJC in D scoring and +/- with an additional year left of eligibility would be his coming out party but I guess not. Oh well. Doesn’t change what he’ll actually become and if anything, reduces the pressure/hype on him so he can just go about his business and develop at the pace he needs.

Lindstein = Gunnarson
Broberg = Bowmeister

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
Lindstein = Gunnarson
Broberg = Bowmeister

As I see it:
Lindsteins floor = Gunnarsson but he will likely end up a little bit better
Brobergs floor = 2017-ish Bouwmeester (before he had his resurgence), his ceiling is probably a slightly less effective Florida Panther Bouwmeester.

Reactions: Mike Liut

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
As I see it:
Lindsteins floor = Gunnarsson but he will likely end up a little bit better
Brobergs floor = 2017-ish Bouwmeester (before he had his resurgence), his ceiling is probably a slightly less effective Florida Panther Bouwmeester.

I can see that

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
EP is pretty low on Lindstein as well
Yep. They ranked us #11 today. I don't have issue with most of the evaluations, but feel they are sleeping on Lindstein. If they are right on him, 11 is probably fair. If we are right on him, I'd think that would push us comfortably into top 10.

AyeBah

Apr 5, 2019
I, like most I assume, would take one gamebreaking stud (1st line center, top pairing d, Wallstedt) over depth. And a lot of the teams with those elite guys have depth equal to or not far behind our pool

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I, like most I assume, would take one gamebreaking stud (1st line center, top pairing d, Wallstedt) over depth. And a lot of the teams with those elite guys have depth equal to or not far behind our pool
Sure, everyone would rather have top end talent, but I wouldn't sell our kids short. Were Thomass and Kyrou considered elite prospects? Ignore the hype and draft position and just look at the talent we have. Dvo could be 1st line center and Jiricek and Lindstein both have top pair upside. They may well fall short of that- they would've been top 5 picks if they were seen as no doubt top line talent, but each of them (and Snuggy) absolutely have potential to be difference makers for us. I'm not saying we have best pool in league, but the pessimism by so many on here befuddles me.

and I don't consider any goalie prospect a gamebreaking stud; way too unpredictable. The track record of 1st round goalies is such that I don't value them that much until they show it in NHL. Wally is great goalie prospect, but until he does it I will be suspect.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I find it hard to put much of a weight on a video that categorizes Bolduc/Lindstein in the same category as Burns, Jecho, Kos, and Robertsson.

I enjoy the content, and am glad that the author took the time to make it.

I also would love to see the outcome of prospects from 5 years ago who were labeled as elite prospects.

Not that it matters too much as 90% of consumers of these videos are going to scour the internet for the 500 of these that best fit what they believe which is also completely fine.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
Sure, everyone would rather have top end talent, but I wouldn't sell our kids short. Were Thomass and Kyrou considered elite prospects? Ignore the hype and draft position and just look at the talent we have. Dvo could be 1st line center and Jiricek and Lindstein both have top pair upside. They may well fall short of that- they would've been top 5 picks if they were seen as no doubt top line talent, but each of them (and Snuggy) absolutely have potential to be difference makers for us. I'm not saying we have best pool in league, but the pessimism by so many on here befuddles me.

and I don't consider any goalie prospect a gamebreaking stud; way too unpredictable. The track record of 1st round goalies is such that I don't value them that much until they show it in NHL. Wally is great goalie prospect, but until he does it I will be suspect.
They were pretty quickly during their d+1. For example, Pronman has Thomas listed in his "Elite NHL prospect" tier and Kyrou in the "High End NHL player" which would roughly translate to NHL all-star and top of the lineup player respectively. Development happens, but I think Blues fans are seeing what they want to see with our draft picks. I don't think top pair has really ever been considered realistic for Lindstein.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Yep. They ranked us #11 today. I don't have issue with most of the evaluations, but feel they are sleeping on Lindstein. If they are right on him, 11 is probably fair. If we are right on him, I'd think that would push us comfortably into top 10.
Kind of have to after missing on him in the draft to save face. He was out of the first round.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad