Prospect Info: Blues 2023-2024 Prospect Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
I don't know why trades have bled into this thread. They don't have anything to do with our prospects.

I'd love to know how Lindstein is doing. I think he has the potential to be a prime Bouwmeester type for us: a defensive rock allowing a partner to either help shut down a major offensive threat or allow a more offensively-based partner to flourish without them worrying too much about the defense.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I don't know why trades have bled into this thread. They don't have anything to do with our prospects.

I'd love to know how Lindstein is doing. I think he has the potential to be a prime Bouwmeester type for us: a defensive rock allowing a partner to either help shut down a major offensive threat or allow a more offensively-based partner to flourish without them worrying too much about the defense.
I haven’t seen him play outside of highlights but he has 8 pts in 20 games for Brynas in the Allsvenskan. Among d-men that are U19 in that league, there’s him and then 6 other guys with 0 points.

Increase it to U20 (so including guys 1 year older than him) and he’s 3rd in scoring.

Don’t think the Allsvenskan is very good? Then let’s look at U19 D scoring in the SHL. There’s Axel Sandin Pellikka with 12 points in 22 games and then another 6 guys with 0 pts.

So ASP and Lindstein are the only two 18 year old d-men making an impact in Swedish pro hockey.

Lindstein scored 2 points in 32 games in the SHL last season. That low production seemed to convince people he didn’t have much offensive potential. But to me, the real story is that he was a 17 year old d-man playing in what many consider to be the best league in Europe (the NHL-e calculators suggest the SHL overtook the KHL in terms of overall quality a couple years ago). I think it’s quite possible the Blues found a gem here. I don’t think he’s ever going to explode with offense but I think he has more offensive potential than many gave him credit for going into last summer’s draft. And being trusted to play at that high of a level that young suggests his defensive game is well ahead of where it is for almost every other teenage d-man.

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
I haven’t seen him play outside of highlights but he has 8 pts in 20 games for Brynas in the Allsvenskan. Among d-men that are U19 in that league, there’s him and then 6 other guys with 0 points.

Increase it to U20 (so including guys 1 year older than him) and he’s 3rd in scoring.

Don’t think the Allsvenskan is very good? Then let’s look at U19 D scoring in the SHL. There’s Axel Sandin Pellikka with 12 points in 22 games and then another 6 guys with 0 pts.

So ASP and Lindstein are the only two 18 year old d-men making an impact in Swedish pro hockey.

Lindstein scored 2 points in 32 games in the SHL last season. That low production seemed to convince people he didn’t have much offensive potential. But to me, the real story is that he was a 17 year old d-man playing in what many consider to be the best league in Europe (the NHL-e calculators suggest the SHL overtook the KHL in terms of overall quality a couple years ago). I think it’s quite possible the Blues found a gem here. I don’t think he’s ever going to explode with offense but I think he has more offensive potential than many gave him credit for going into last summer’s draft. And being trusted to play at that high of a level that young suggests his defensive game is well ahead of where it is for almost every other teenage d-man.

I'm pretty sure there's a Lindstein interview where he stated that he focused entirely on defensive responsibilities to make sure he got playing time. Might be why his point total in the SHL was so low last season. Add in that he ceded offensive responsibilities to his other pair (often Willander and Sandin-Pellikka in the U-18 WJC), and you're probably right that we got a real gem, and I loved the pick myself.

In other words, I agree. I see prime Bouw myself, given Lindstein's responsible defense and underrated offense. I just wanted to know exactly how well he's doing, since I was high on him (and Stenberg as well).

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016

I had the same views of him as you do. Allsvenskan is part of the 2nd tier league in Sweden, but he seems to have played pretty well considering his age. I don't think he's getting top minutes, but from what I remember, it varies between like 12 and 18 minutes. I noticed the same thing too in terms of production; he and maybe 2 other defenseman are the only ones contributing to their clubs, so the thought is maybe Lindstein has more to give when he comes over.

The thing that intrigues me the most about him is his defensive ability. I don't know if we've had that type of player in a long while (Bouw had long stretches of being unusable and Parayko had been inconsistent). If we can add him to this team to solidify one of the 3 LH pairs, then I think things will start to settle in nicely. And to add to your point, I don't need him to be scoring 50 or 60 points, but 25-30? I think that is doable for him and I'd be ecstatic with that if his defense is elite.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX

watching him this year, he really needs to bulk up. he is still a boy in a man's league and that seems like only thing holding him back. he does so many things well, that as he adds strength over next couple years i think it's reasonable to expect that in a few years he will be able to handle top pairing minutes. he might not be THE guy on a top pair, but i could well see him playing 23 minutes a night against top competition the way JayBo or Leddy did for us.

and speaking of Sweden, Stenberg scored a nice goal today in SHL play. He got behind d, took beautiful pass, and held off defender as he buried breakaway chance.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
So:

USA: Snuggs
Outside chance Fischer. - Bubble guy this year, according to this article, but sounds promising for next year.

Swe: Lindstein, Stenberg

Slov: Dvorsky, Pekarcik

Besides the US, who are you routing for? Too bad about Russia.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Pekarcik and Dvorsky both named to WJC preliminary roster. DVO lock, Pekarcik I say should be a lock but he will need to prove it in the warm up games.
I’ll be pretty surprised if Pekarcik doesn’t make the Slovak team. Not that he’s amazing but they have what, 5-6 guys that were even drafted?

So:

USA: Snuggs
Outside chance Fischer. - Bubble guy this year, according to this article, but sounds promising for next year.

Swe: Lindstein, Stenberg

Slov: Dvorsky, Pekarcik

Besides the US, who are you routing for? Too bad about Russia.
I usually just root for good hockey. Games between Canada, USA and Sweden tend to be the best so those are typically the 3 teams I tend to “root” for. But I’ll also root for Slovakia this year with Dvorsky and Pekarcik.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
I’ll be pretty surprised if Pekarcik doesn’t make the Slovak team. Not that he’s amazing but they have what, 5-6 guys that were even drafted?
There is 8 drafted forwards on the preliminary roster, not including Pekarcik. Most years Pekarcik would be a lock, especially with Slafkovsky and Molnar not being there. I’ve been banging the drum on the Slovak team thread for Pekarcik to be in a top 6 role. However, there is a few challenges he faces to making this team:

1. Pekarcik has never played for the U20 team. The head coach Fenes won’t be as familiar with him.
2. There is significant competition at wing with how good the 2004 born Slovak class is.
3. Fenes will most likely choose players he trusts in specific roles over Pekarcik. There is guys who could fit in the bottom 6 more experienced then Pekarcik. Guys like Zlnka, Sykora, Sotek, Suchy, Dej, etc. That’s why I’ve said Pekarcik will have to prove that it would be a mistake to leave him off the team in the warm up games.

Reactions: The Electrician

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
There is 8 drafted forwards on the preliminary roster, not including Pekarcik. Most years Pekarcik would be a lock, especially with Slafkovsky and Molnar not being there. I’ve been banging the drum on the Slovak team thread for Pekarcik to be in a top 6 role. However, there is a few challenges he faces to making this team:

1. Pekarcik has never played for the U20 team. The head coach Fenes won’t be as familiar with him.
2. There is significant competition at wing with how good the 2004 born Slovak class is.
3. Fenes will most likely choose players he trusts in specific roles over Pekarcik. There is guys who could fit in the bottom 6 more experienced then Pekarcik. Guys like Zlnka, Sykora, Sotek, Suchy, Dej, etc. That’s why I’ve said Pekarcik will have to prove that it would be a mistake to leave him off the team in the warm up games.
Fair enough. I see you’re from Slovakia so you’d know better than I. I stand corrected.

I hope he makes it though.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Honestly, let's not forget about Bolduc either; he has the offensive skillset to be elite.

I like Bolduc, hopefully he develops and challenges these guys as a top 3 prospect. We need all these guys to develop into legitimate top 6 players.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Just wait until Dvorsky fills out, gets stronger and improves his skating. He’ll be a force in a few years. I love his tools and IQ.
1701494410782.png

Agreed. I think lots of folks assume that he already is this big guy, but when you actually see him he isn’t. He still has lots of filling out to do. I think he may be a bit further away from making nhl impact than some think (and remember he was fairly young for his draft class), but his potential is immense. So skilled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad