Prospect Info: Blues 2023-2024 Prospect Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
View attachment 776467
Agreed. I think lots of folks assume that he already is this big guy, but when you actually see him he isn’t. He still has lots of filling out to do. I think he may be a bit further away from making nhl impact than some think (and remember he was fairly young for his draft class), but his potential is immense. So skilled.
I get your point but that photo doesn’t really tell me anything. Dvorsky is already bigger than a lot of current NHL’ers, if his listed height and weight is remotely close to being accurate.

Plus I feel like a lot of hockey players have average looking upper bodies like that. Unless you’re a guy like Reaves or Tarasenko who is built like a fire hydrant, it’s kinda rare for them to have jacked upper bodies. A lot of their weight and strength is in their legs, which we of course can’t see in that pic.

Reactions: Bluesnatic27

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I get your point but that photo doesn’t really tell me anything. Dvorsky is already bigger than a lot of current NHL’ers, if his listed height and weight is remotely close to being accurate.

Plus I feel like a lot of hockey players have average looking upper bodies like that. Unless you’re a guy like Reaves or Tarasenko who is built like a fire hydrant, it’s kinda rare for them to have jacked upper bodies. A lot of their weight and strength is in their legs, which we of course can’t see in that pic.

I hear ya, but I bet he adds 15-20 lbs when he fills out. He looks like a HS kid still

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
That's one thing this team needs in a big way is guys who can find holes in the defensive zone. In the games I've seen, Dvorsky seems to be one of those players who has that instinct to know exactly he needs to be when he doesn't have the puck. Even when covered, though, he seems like he's really hard to defend. Good with his body, good hands. Just really hard to separate him from the puck.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
We don’t need another Tarasenko situation where bulking slows Dvo down, but he does have some room to add muscle. I would much rather he focuses on his skating and hands than gaining weight. Size is an increasingly less valuable trait in the game today.

Reactions: Vladys Gumption

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
We don’t need another Tarasenko situation where bulking slows Dvo down, but he does have some room to add muscle. I would much rather he focuses on his skating and hands than gaining weight. Size is an increasingly less valuable trait in the game today.
There is a middle ground I think. Look at Thomas. He has bulked up but still has great agility.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008

Bulking up and filling out are two different things. I’m just saying that he’s 18 and has a HS looking body. He’ll fill out naturally.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
He’ll naturally add some more beef to the bun as he fully develops from boy to man but personally, I’d like to see him put a lot more work into his flexibility, agility and balance than put the focus on gaining more muscle. At least for now, as that’s where his weaknesses lie.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
There is a middle ground I think. Look at Thomas. He has bulked up but still has great agility.
He already had great speed though. Dvo is starting from that being a point of weakness. Now maybe he can add muscle and not slow down, but unless he works on his skating it will be a preventative hinderance.

Bulking up and filling out are two different things. I’m just saying that he’s 18 and has a HS looking body. He’ll fill out naturally.
If he is just naturally filling out his body and working on stabilizing muscle groups then great, but adding size for the sake of it seems very low on the list for him if he wants to be moving toward his potential.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
It's ok Mike, I too am drooling over what Dvo could turn into physically. I estimate he's 6'2, 210 when camp starts next year, he was one of the very youngest players in the '23 draft and had lots of room for natural physical development that had nothing to do with any purposeful attempt to add size. Dude was 6'1, 201 lbs at the combine so even if you're estimating a conservative 4-5 lb weight gain it still puts him at 205/206 lbs which certainly isn't enough to hinder any improvement he makes in his skating. I imagine he ends up 6'2, 215 when he's done developing.

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
Snuggerud has been nothing close to the player he was with Knies and Cooley setting him up. Trying to do everything when he simply can't. Super long shifts, then getting gassed and having his line scored on. If he goes in the spring it's a terrible decision unless he's cool with spending basically the whole year in the AHL. A decrease in points was my expectations but I didn't expect this much of a drop in terms of the eye test.

Reactions: Mike Liut

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Snuggerud has been nothing close to the player he was with Knies and Cooley setting him up. Trying to do everything when he simply can't. Super long shifts, then getting gassed and having his line scored on. If he goes in the spring it's a terrible decision unless he's cool with spending basically the whole year in the AHL. A decrease in points was my expectations but I didn't expect this much of a drop in terms of the eye test.
he's 19. good learning experience.

aceoutdoor

Jun 7, 2012
Snuggerud's goals are on pace for the same as last year, his assist are way down.

On a different subject, I know it is very early to talk about this stuff, but is it a consensus here we made the right choice taking Stenberg over Musty?

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Bolduc with a second period goal tonight. He has now scored twice in his last two plus games and has five points in his last four plus games. Things seem to be starting to click for him as a pro.

His two most recent goals have been from the same spots. This one a one timer, last one a wrister. Either way it’s good to see his shot beating professional goalies cleanly.

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
Snuggerud's goals are on pace for the same as last year, his assist are way down.

On a different subject, I know it is very early to talk about this stuff, but is it a consensus here we made the right choice taking Stenberg over Musty?

Yes, I think we picked the right player over Musty. Stenberg is seriously underrated as a prospect, was one of my favorites around that range. He's Steen, except much more gifted offensively at his age than Steen was at that age, and a much, much better skater. Like Steen, Stenberg is a born leader. Honestly, I think he's our future C when Schenn eventually leaves. Yes, that's including Thomas, Snuggerud, Dvorsky, and anyone else on the team and in the pipeline.

Maybe Musty makes me regret those words, but right now, we made the absolute right choice.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad