Prospect Info: Blues 2023-2024 Prospect Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I wonder if they’d ever consider adding a 33rd team to the AHL? All 32 NHL teams have one, and then Chicago is on its own. I know the odd number might make things weird though.
I don’t think a 33rd AHL franchise is the answer. My solution would be to basically tell the Wolves to go F themselves. Pass rules that would make them have to affiliate with an NHL team and develop players. I’d want them to either get in line or force a sale to someone that’ll play ball just like everyone else in the damn league.

OR if the Wolves owners continue to try to break rules (perhaps rules that don’t exist yet but would in my solution), just take the team away from them like the AHL took away the Iowa Stars/Iowa Chops away from their owners.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
I don’t think a 33rd AHL franchise is the answer. My solution would be to basically tell the Wolves to go F themselves. Pass rules that would make them have to affiliate with an NHL team and develop players. I’d want them to either get in line or force a sale to someone that’ll play ball just like everyone else in the damn league.

OR if the Wolves owners continue to try to break rules (perhaps rules that don’t exist yet but would in my solution), just take the team away from them like the AHL took away the Iowa Stars/Iowa Chops away from their owners.
Beware, Chicago based hockey teams are entirely immune to any sort of real punishment.

That said, getting them to fall in seems a lot easier and sensible than making a 33rd team. Only thing a potential additional team would make sense for is to use as leverage to force Chicago's hand.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Does anyone here pay attention to Springfield. Zherenko is averaging over 35 shots against per game down there. I really hope it's more of a coicidence and lack of organization talent as opposed to an organizational philosophy/strategy that is leading to us to giving up a f*** ton of shots per game.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Does anyone here pay attention to Springfield. Zherenko is averaging over 35 shots against per game down there. I really hope it's more of a coicidence and lack of organization talent as opposed to an organizational philosophy/strategy that is leading to us to giving up a f*** ton of shots per game.
I noticed that as well. Zherenko is facing about 35.4 shots per 60 while Subban is only facing about 29.0 per 60. This could certainly be chalked up to a small sample size issue, and I haven't seen any T-Birds action this year outside of highlights, but this kind of a gap between two goalies playing behind the same team always concerns me in that it might be an indication of poor rebound control and those additional shots coming from second chance opportunities that one goalie is limiting and the other is not. Again, I'm not saying that is the case or that there is any cause for concern, but it does stand out even this early in the season.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
I'd have a hard time believing that the organization thinks playing in the Dzone more is a recipe for success.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I'd have a hard time believing that the organization thinks playing in the Dzone more is a recipe for success.
Not that they are intentionally going out there and planning on playing in the d-zone, but are they going out there with a system that is just fundamentally flawed and that's what the results are.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Dvorsky is statistically doing... fair, but not great. Which maybe is fine, given what he's gone through this year with starting out expecting a full season in the SHL and then having to emigrate. Doing better than PPG in those circumstances is probably better than most could do. It should also be noted that the only other Slovakian on the team had to be traded away when he came over from Europe, so he's at least a little all on his own. Not to mention that he must feel some responsibility for that. Gotta be tough.

All that said, his goals have all been garbage net-front stuff. Things Alexandrov did a lot of in juniors. There's a place for that, but for a top-10 pick one would hope for a bit more pizazz. There's a lot of unknowns, like what the system in Sudbury is, how long he's going to take to adapt to that, and what he can do once he's acclimated to it. He's not a Backes-type big body that can just post up in front of the goalie and net 30 buts a season. I think aside from everything he must be going through personally, the thing that we can glean hope from is that he seems to frequently be in the right place at the right time, or put the puck in that position.

He's not thrilling me so far, he's been good but not great. And for your first pick in the top 10 in 15 years, you'd hope for something great, electric. After seeing other first-rounders like Fabbri and Thomas light it up in their D+1 season in the OHL, I guess it's just a little weird seeing Dvorsky do just ok now. Maybe it's a lesson in patience, maybe it's a sign of where he's heading. Either way, worth paying attention to.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Dvorsky is statistically doing... fair, but not great. Which maybe is fine, given what he's gone through this year with starting out expecting a full season in the SHL and then having to emigrate. Doing better than PPG in those circumstances is probably better than most could do. It should also be noted that the only other Slovakian on the team had to be traded away when he came over from Europe, so he's at least a little all on his own. Not to mention that he must feel some responsibility for that. Gotta be tough.

All that said, his goals have all been garbage net-front stuff. Things Alexandrov did a lot of in juniors. There's a place for that, but for a top-10 pick one would hope for a bit more pizazz. There's a lot of unknowns, like what the system in Sudbury is, how long he's going to take to adapt to that, and what he can do once he's acclimated to it. He's not a Backes-type big body that can just post up in front of the goalie and net 30 buts a season. I think aside from everything he must be going through personally, the thing that we can glean hope from is that he seems to frequently be in the right place at the right time, or put the puck in that position.

He's not thrilling me so far, he's been good but not great. And for your first pick in the top 10 in 15 years, you'd hope for something great, electric. After seeing other first-rounders like Fabbri and Thomas light it up in their D+1 season in the OHL, I guess it's just a little weird seeing Dvorsky do just ok now. Maybe it's a lesson in patience, maybe it's a sign of where he's heading. Either way, worth paying attention to.
That seems rather harsh. He was dropped in the middle of season in on new team in new continent. He has played 7 games and has points in every one. 5 goals and 5 assists in those 7 games. That in context seems pretty darn good to me.

As for skills, his tend to be more subtle. Think David krecji or Ron Francis. How much he will produce at nhl is obviously uncertain, but skill wise I don’t think he is less than we expected.

ToastedRavioli

Jun 29, 2023

Neither of these seem like garbage goals. The official OHL account literally described one as a potential goal of the year candidate lol. Also describing 5 goals and 5 assists in 7 games as "ok" is just odd, especially given the circumstances. He's outpacing Jordan Kyrou's D+1 in points and significantly outpacing him in goals. It is reasonable to expect Dvorsky to improve over the course of the season as he gets more comfortable in the OHL. Being on pace for 47 goals in 66 games is a pretty good start though.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Give me a guy going hard to the net and potting tough goals over a flash in the pan, one trick pony who can only score off the rush. One of the most difficult lessons for young skilled players to learn usually is driving hard to the net because you can’t beat NHL goalies with just a good shot consistently.

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
Dvorsky could very easily have 3 more goals already and that's only in the three games I've watched. If anyone's disappointed with his output thus far given the context of his move to North America and adjustment to a new team and smaller ice surface as an 18 year old, they should be disappointed in their own unrealistic expectations rather than Dvorsky himself.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Dvorsky is statistically doing... fair, but not great.

Thomas scored .74 goals per game and 1.7 points per game in 27 games with London at the start of his D+1 season. Then he was at .18 goals per game and 1.3 points per game with Hamilton in the back part of that season after the trade.

Fabbri was at .83 goals per game and 1.7 points per game in his D+1 season, but he was also played just 30 games and did it on the same team that he had been on in his pre-draft season where he put up similar numbers (.78 goals per game and 1.5 points per game).

Dvorsky is at .71 goals per game and 1.4 points per game. Dvorsky is outperforming what Thomas did in a new environment in his D+1 season and isn't horribly far behind how Thomas was doing pre-trade.

I really wouldn't say that Dvorsky's D+1 junior production is just okay while those two lit it up. I'd like to see some uptick/improvement as the season goes on but I think that coming to a new continent with smaller ice and joining a team mid-season carries an expectation that there will be some adjustment period.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015

Don’t think you’re crazy. I watched his first two games for Sudbury and came away not very impressed. Maybe my expectations were too high, but for a top 10 pick that has been playing in a pro league…I thought he looked mediocre.

Now, that being said, I’m willing to give him a ton of benefit of the doubt given the situation (culture shock, literal jet lag, switching teams mid season, switching leagues, etc etc etc). Still hopeful that Dvorsky can be a top 1-2 C for the Blues in the future. BUT I do now think he is further away than I did initially.

Thomas scored .74 goals per game and 1.7 points per game in 27 games with London at the start of his D+1 season. Then he was at .18 goals per game and 1.3 points per game with Hamilton in the back part of that season after the trade.

Fabbri was at .83 goals per game and 1.7 points per game in his D+1 season, but he was also played just 30 games and did it on the same team that he had been on in his pre-draft season where he put up similar numbers (.78 goals per game and 1.5 points per game).

Dvorsky is at .71 goals per game and 1.4 points per game. Dvorsky is outperforming what Thomas did in a new environment in his D+1 season and isn't horribly far behind how Thomas was doing pre-trade.

I really wouldn't say that Dvorsky's D+1 junior production is just okay while those two lit it up. I'd like to see some uptick/improvement as the season goes on but I think that coming to a new continent with smaller ice and joining a team mid-season carries an expectation that there will be some adjustment period.
You’d still like to see more from him as a top 10 pick in a supposedly loaded draft IMO. And for the record - I’m hopeful we will!

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Hard to see him leaving college early to play in minors.
He would be very shortsighted to turn down a contract just on the grounds that the Blues won't guarantee him an NHL job next season. If that is a sticking point for him, his counter should be that the Blues offer him a contract at the conclusion of this NCAA season that gets him into pro games this year and thus burns a season off his ELC. Factoring in signing bonuses, he could put about $200k in his pocket by July 1st of 2024 with an ELC expiring in the summer of 2026. If he goes back to the NCAA, he'd be putting off any signing bonus until at least the spring of 2024 and looking at an ELC that expires in either the summer of 2027 or 2028 (depending on whether the Blues are willing to burn an ELC year in 2024/25 if he goes back to school that year).

He should have a fair shot to make the NHL roster next year and the Blues will be able to tell him that very honestly. But it shouldn't be guaranteed to him and that shouldn't be a sticking point for him leaving the NCAA. Springfield has 2 games the weekend following the Frozen Four, so we could get him into 2 AHL games this season even if he wins a National Championship, wants to celebrate with his teammates for a couple days, AND Springfield misses the AHL playoffs. If Springfield isn't going to have a potential playoff run I would prefer to start his ELC next year, but that is a nice bargaining chip if his stance is that he wants a guaranteed NHL job next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad