Prospect Info: Blues 2023-2024 Prospect Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Pretty crazy to blame the Canucks organization considering Gaudette most recently played for the Ottawa Senators 2 years ago, and had 12 points in 50 games.

He’s a good AHL player and not a very good NHL one. Not that hard to figure out, there’s lots of those guys.

Reactions: southsider

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Gaudette scored 33 pts in 59 games for the Canucks a few years ago so he’s already shown he’s capable of playing in the Show.

I think the assumption was that he had taken a step back or younger players have passed him but he deserves a shot IMO. I don’t care what league you’re playing in - 9 goals in 7 games is impressive.
I think we've got to balance out that season with the acknowledgement that it was 4 years ago and his 3 most recent years have been well short of that.

11 points in 40 games between Vancouver and Chicago in 2020/21

14 points in 58 games between Chicago and Ottawa in 2021/22.

No NHL games in 2022/23, but 51 points in 65 AHL games between the Marlies and Thunderbirds.

I'm not saying that he doesn't deserve a look as the first injury call up or that there is no chance that he can be an effective NHL guy. I just want to note that he did actually take a step back since putting up 33 points in 59 games in 2019/20. He genuinely played himself out of the NHL and there is a reason that no one offered a 1 way deal this summer. None of that erases his current production or guarantees that he can't re-become an NHL player, but I do think the context is important when wondering whether we could have found money.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I think we've got to balance out that season with the acknowledgement that it was 4 years ago and his 3 most recent years have been well short of that.

11 points in 40 games between Vancouver and Chicago in 2020/21

14 points in 58 games between Chicago and Ottawa in 2021/22.

No NHL games in 2022/23, but 51 points in 65 AHL games between the Marlies and Thunderbirds.

I'm not saying that he doesn't deserve a look as the first injury call up or that there is no chance that he can be an effective NHL guy. I just want to note that he did actually take a step back since putting up 33 points in 59 games in 2019/20. He genuinely played himself out of the NHL and there is a reason that no one offered a 1 way deal this summer. None of that erases his current production or guarantees that he can't re-become an NHL player, but I do think the context is important when wondering whether we could have found money.
Well, sure. I’d say that’s a given. My point was that he’s a bit more “proven” than your typical AHL tweener/journeyman.

But yes, clearly he took a step back and I would be absolutely shocked if he becomes “found money”. But when the injuries do eventually occur and we need a forward from Springfield, it’s possible he won’t look out of place and could potentially be able to contribute pretty much what some of our other bottom-6 guys are currently contributing.

That said, matching the level of play from guys like Alexandrov, Toropchenko, Neighbours and even Sundqvist isn’t exactly a high bar.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
i watched bu-umass game from the other day. primarily i wanted to see macklin celebrini and how he would look against a good umass team that has couple 20-21 yo nhl prospects on d. spoiler alert, he was clearly the best player on the ice. scored twice in 3rd in game bu won in so. but reason i'm posting here is that i got a good chance to see blues draftee dylan peterson.

the good news on peterson is he looks to be about the same size as torpo and skates like him too. and bu seems to trust him as he is on 2nd or 3rd line (not sure which but he got good amount of icetime) and even played in ot.

the bad news on peterson is he seems to have no hands or offensive hockey sense. like when he wasn't fumbling pucks he was skating right into a teammate. it was bizarre.

Quaz

Mar 15, 2006
St Louis
Dvorsky with another goal yesterday. Lucky break as his centering pass deflected off the defender and into the net. My impression from what I have seen so far with Sudbury is that he is strong on the puck and seems to make good plays. He had a couple really nice passes that his teammate just didn't finish on. Also, it seems like Goyette tries to force the puck to Musty, when Dvorsky is wide open. I'm sure that will get better as they gain more chemistry.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Dvorsky with another goal yesterday. Lucky break as his centering pass deflected off the defender and into the net. My impression from what I have seen so far with Sudbury is that he is strong on the puck and seems to make good plays. He had a couple really nice passes that his teammate just didn't finish on. Also, it seems like Goyette tries to force the puck to Musty, when Dvorsky is wide open. I'm sure that will get better as they gain more chemistry.

I would think once Dvorsky settles in they will consider spreading out their top players and it's likely that trio is split up to spread the offense over two lines.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
Gaudet hasn't played the last couple of games in Orlando. Anyone got a clue what's going on? Injury or healthy scratch? Statwise he didn't seem to get of to a good start. Dickinson however scored 2 goals in their last game so, hopefully they will play him more than they've been doing now (3rd/4th line minutes).

Bolduc and Dean also of to really slow starts in the AHL it seems. Concerning? Zherenko seems to be having a way better start of the season than Subban.

Reactions: HighNote

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Burns with his 1st goal
Maytich with his 1st and also the 3 star
Dvorsky 1a
Snuggs nada
Buchinger nada and a -3
Kessel with a goal

I am not worried about Bolduc or Dean. Our top line is on fire. They need to earn their ice time. Bolduc is a least registering shots. Goals will come, but he needs to focus on his complete game.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Burns with his 1st goal
Maytich with his 1st and also the 3 star
Dvorsky 1a
Snuggs nada
Buchinger nada and a -3
Kessel with a goal

I am not worried about Bolduc or Dean. Our top line is on fire. They need to earn their ice time. Bolduc is a least registering shots. Goals will come, but he needs to focus on his complete game.
I'm always a bit worried when very talented players start off this slow in the AHL. However, plenty of guys start off slow namely Blais (very similar start to Bolduc and Dean), Alexandrov (had many 5+ game stretches of no points), and Barbashev (didn't hit 30 points in nearly 70 games in his first season). I think they may need another half year after this one before being ready, but if they can get comfortable soon, maybe they could challenge this year.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012

Cranley will be with Reading in the ECHL until they get their goalie back from the Phantoms at least.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Buchinger: assist
Bolduc: assist
Snuggs: goal

Not a bad night for the kids

Dylan Coghlan. RHD in Springfield has 7 pts in 8 games. 5 goals. Don’t know if he is a Blues player or an AHL player…

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Buchinger: assist
Bolduc: assist
Snuggs: goal

Not a bad night for the kids

Dylan Coghlan. RHD in Springfield has 7 pts in 8 games. 5 goals. Don’t know if he is a Blues player or an AHL player…
He's a Carolina Hurricanes player

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Why is he in Springfield?
Carolina doesn’t have an AHL team as the Chicago Wolves decided to go independent. So the Blues took in two of their guys onto the T-birds.

Perhaps the Blues took pity on them after the Wolves screwed over the Blues a few years ago.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
Why is he in Springfield?

Carolina doesn't have an AHL team (guess who was their former AHL team and decided they didn't want to be affiliated anymore)... So they have to sprinkle their AHL caliber players to other teams. Coghlan and Rees are loaned to the Thunderbirds.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Can someone tell me why or how this is allowed between the NHL and the AHL? At the root of it, teams are getting a competitive advantage/disadvantage by AHL teams (namely Chicago) removing affiliation with the NHL squad as well as stunting or killing a players entire development. I feel like there needs to be some sort of cohesion between these two leagues, though for the most part things are pretty good between them. Basically, this is all on the Chicago Wolves

Kylester

Feb 28, 2020
Southern California
Can someone tell me why or how this is allowed between the NHL and the AHL? At the root of it, teams are getting a competitive advantage/disadvantage by AHL teams (namely Chicago) removing affiliation with the NHL squad as well as stunting or killing a players entire development. I feel like there needs to be some sort of cohesion between these two leagues, though for the most part things are pretty good between them. Basically, this is all on the Chicago Wolves
It's pretty much up to the teams, rather than the AHL, who they affiliate with (if anyone). The Wolves were once the Blues affiliate and Berube coached there and led them to one division championship. But the relationship was never good since Wolves management has always been more focused on signing players themselves, rather than developing the parent club's players. The Wolves eventually yanked the rug out from under the Blues by going with the Golden Knights. The Wolves have been in the AHL for quite some time, but many NHL teams, including the Blues and Canes, want nothing to do with them.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Honestly, I swore there was a bylaw that said AHL teams had to have an NHL affiliation so I still don’t know how the Wolves got around that. It’s a bad look and it appears to have been ignored as to not talk about an embarrassing topic.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I wonder if they’d ever consider adding a 33rd team to the AHL? All 32 NHL teams have one, and then Chicago is on its own. I know the odd number might make things weird though.
Its like there's always a game of musical chairs, and whoever gets stuck with the Wolves gets screwed. The Blues thought they had a chair in San Antonio, then Vegas snuck in and sat down...leaving the team in Chicago briefly.

We're in a pretty solid situation now, but there is always a team that isn't.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
Its like there's always a game of musical chairs, and whoever gets stuck with the Wolves gets screwed. The Blues thought they had a chair in San Antonio, then Vegas snuck in and sat down...leaving the team in Chicago briefly.

We're in a pretty solid situation now, but there is always a team that isn't.
At the same time, this is a situation the Hurricanes made themselves. They had Charlotte and Charlotte wanted to reup their affiliation, but Dundon thought he was paying too much for it and didn't even offer to extend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad