Blow this team up already!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
With NMCs how do they get rid of any of them, other than to let Marner walk for nothing?

If they could force them to waive (ie. waive or we put you on 4th line, sit you out, tell media we had a great deal for you but you nixed it and let fans eat you up, etc.) then fine, but can they actually force anyone to waive?
I legit think Marner would waive (depending on the outcome of this series for him). And then let Tavares walk. And then we are locked in with just Matthews and Nylander. It might not be enough, but that 22mil could be put to better use with guys who produce at 5on5 in the playoffs, and a goalie.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
View attachment 856618

That’s our line up with 18.5 million to add 3 D and a goalie.

That’s plenty of room. Ideally we would try to get rid of Jarnkrok and Kampf.
That would give us 22.5 million to add 2 forwards 3 D and a goalie.

It really is plenty of room. To try to recoup picks.

If Marner wants to move on (unlikely) we let him.
That team will suck pretty bad

Knies and Robertson are good 3rd liners probably next year. Not likely top 6 guys just yet.

Tavares had 65 pts this year despite playing mostly with Nylander (at his hottest) and Marner.

He is a 55-60 pt playee dependent on his wingers for offense.

A #1G costs 5-6M and I dont think there are any good ones as UFAs so ha e to trade for an older one whose proven who could be available maybe.

1RD ~5-7M (Roy or Pesce)
2RD ~3-5M (Tyler Myers, Tyson Barrie, Tanev)
3rd ~ 1-2M (lilijgren or similar)

One the low end if you add non difference makers (rotate brodie for another similar guy, same with lilijgren) you used ~14M of your 18.5M capspace and the team is worse and older.

That remaining 4.5M maybe look to get another 1 year LW but the team hasnt improved and it is older

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
You guys really really want to go back to the days where our leading scorer was a 50 point guy and we were out of the playoffs by December, don't you? And then we'd find out we're drafting 7th, so more time in hockey purgatory hoping to hit on the next overlooked surprise...
I must have seen at least a dozen people post this and it's real headscratcher. I can only guess that you guys are so young that you don't remember when we had teams that actually made some noise in the playoffs but still, if you know how to read then the team's history is all there for you.

To be clear, many of us want to go back to the days where we had teams that actually won a playoff series every now and then instead of underachieving year after year.

What a pathetic, loser attitude.

They play to win Cups, nothing else.
He's one of those guys that only cares about winning the Presidents Trophy and considers the playoffs to be meaningless. Yes those people exist. There's not many of them, and none of them play in the NHL, but they do exist.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
they came out flying last night, hitting everything. and then a bad read and another bad read led to a goal against
Everyone’s blaming Reeves for that first goal, but why was Edmonson and his wonky foot pinching so deep in the zone on that play? It’s not like he has the speed to recover………

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
It will be interesting to see if Mirtle is right, and that Ownership and/or Pelley makes changes. Starting with Shanahan, then Keefe, and then the core.

Still early in the playoffs, but if it's another first round boot, changes need to happen. I don't have confidence that it will happen, nor if the right people are brought in if a change is made.
At this point having huge changes would be my Stanley Cup because this core will never win shit, it’s hard to root for a team where the players are so obtuse to winning. I truly feel for the 70 plus players who have made up the supporting cast of this mess over the years……..

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
At this point having huge changes would be my Stanley Cup because this core will never win shit, it’s hard to root for a team where the players are so obtuse to winning. I truly feel for the 70 plus players who have made up the supporting cast of this mess over the years……..
Team’s won a heck of a lot over the last 6 years, many exciting nights plenty of wins and accomplishments to be proud of but if all a person cares about are playoffs and worse yet Cup or nothing then yeah I understand the frustration.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I've always said that Keefe was Boudreau 2.0 come playoff time.

Leafs need their version of Trotz to get to the final goal.
We still need a true elite defensive D man and a stable goaltender. It will be 2 years until this team is a true contender, until then, they'll be like the old Capitals.

Reactions: BallardEra

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Team’s won a heck of a lot over the last 6 years, many exciting nights plenty of wins and accomplishments to be proud of but if all a person cares about are playoffs and worse yet Cup or nothing then yeah I understand the frustration.
I guess I set my standards a wee bit higher than your average Leaf fan who stops watching hockey once their team is eliminated, too bad because that’s when you see what real hockey is all about, it’s no wonder mediocrity is so readily embraced in this fanbase……..

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I guess I set my standards a wee bit higher than your average Leaf fan who stops watching hockey once their team is eliminated, too bad because that’s when you see what real hockey is all about, it’s no wonder mediocrity is so readily embraced in this fanbase……..
Cup or nothing is quite a bit higher but anyway as I said I wouldn’t watch any games if I had the attitude right from game 1 of the regular season, “who cares wait until the playoffs” lol!

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Cup or nothing is quite a bit higher but anyway as I said I wouldn’t watch any games if I had the attitude right from game 1 of the regular season, “who cares wait until the playoffs” lol!
Your happy with the soup and salad, I’m interested in the entree and dessert, to each his own……….

Reactions: Confucius

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Your happy with the soup and salad, I’m interested in the entree and dessert, to each his own……….
Keep in mind I get my soup and salad 50 60 times a year, you get the whole shabang once every 15 years at most.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto

🍁 Core Five's scoring dip​

Per-game averages for Leafs stars over the past six years are shown for regular season and postseason

GPTSS%
A. MatthewsReg.0.701.2416.3%
Post.0.450.979.6%
M. MarnerReg.0.371.2213.7%
Post.0.180.896.4%
J. TavaresReg.0.420.9512.8%
Post.0.340.6910.1%
W. NylanderReg.0.400.9412.8%
Post.0.410.8613.0%
M. RiellyReg.0.120.755.1%
Post.0.260.719.8%

Since 2018-19 season, when John Tavares joined Toronto. Includes Game 1 vs. Bruins on Saturday.

datawrapper.gif

Last edited:

theTTC

Aug 17, 2010
That's my opinion as well. Now that Nylander is locked in, I think the only solution is to let Tavares' contract expire and use his salary to shore up the team. And I'd like to see these three guys (Matthews, Marner and Nylander) with an experienced coach, preferably a defensive coach like Gallant, who isn't spending every moment trying to mind-f*** his own players to assert some sort of dominance.

This core has had two coaches in the NHL. One was an asshole who got fired less than a week after being hired because he HAD to show his dominance over the players, and the other was a newbie who was expected to learn on the job and never has. How about we get a defensive coach who is willing to put some boots to asses when the players hotdog it like they do periodically under the current moron?
Earth to Leaf fans: the Core Fore are coach killers. Blessed, annointed, and empowered by Shanahan.

theTTC

Aug 17, 2010
Everyone’s blaming Reeves for that first goal, but why was Edmonson and his wonky foot pinching so deep in the zone on that play? It’s not like he has the speed to recover………
Edmonson, upon arriving in Toronto, did brag in the interview that his forte was clearing the front of the net. Add to that he can't skate. lol, leave it to Leafs coaching staff to get it into his head to pinch.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
We all get the soup and salad 50 60 times a year. The difference is that you're not interested in anything more than that whereas most people are.
Maybe, I was referring to the regular season who cares, meaningless games crowd. Who from game 1 regular season fret over how the team will do in the playoffs.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
That team will suck pretty bad

Knies and Robertson are good 3rd liners probably next year. Not likely top 6 guys just yet.

Tavares had 65 pts this year despite playing mostly with Nylander (at his hottest) and Marner.

He is a 55-60 pt playee dependent on his wingers for offense.

A #1G costs 5-6M and I dont think there are any good ones as UFAs so ha e to trade for an older one whose proven who could be available maybe.

1RD ~5-7M (Roy or Pesce)
2RD ~3-5M (Tyler Myers, Tyson Barrie, Tanev)
3rd ~ 1-2M (lilijgren or similar)

One the low end if you add non difference makers (rotate brodie for another similar guy, same with lilijgren) you used ~14M of your 18.5M capspace and the team is worse and older.

That remaining 4.5M maybe look to get another 1 year LW but the team hasnt improved and it is older

I’m not saying that’s the lineup we will go with on forward. I’m saying that we have 12f there. That’s the start. We could easily trade holmberg/dewar/lilly/kampf/jarnkrok/robbie

For pieces. That would free up some space.

But right now we have 18.5 million to spend on 3 D and a goalie.

We could go big on 2 D. Put niemela in and get an expensive goalie

Reactions: hamzarocks

TonsofPuppies

Pack your shit, Shanny!
Jun 28, 2021
Toronto, Ontario
Edmonson, upon arriving in Toronto, did brag in the interview that his forte was clearing the front of the net. Add to that he can't skate. lol, leave it to Leafs coaching staff to get it into his head to pinch.
And the washed piece of garbage couldn't even do that. He was on knees to the side of the net while DeBrusk was all alone in the crease putting in Boston's 4th goal.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Maybe, I was referring to the regular season who cares, meaningless games crowd. Who from game 1 regular season fret over how the team will do in the playoffs.
My guess is that people (or at least most people) don't mean meaningless literally, just meaningless compared to the playoffs. Now of course you need to win some games during the season first in order to make the playoffs, but for a team like ours I think most people figure playoffs are given, so in that sense the regular season games are meaningless. But every game means something to everyone I think, especially to the people that buy tickets and attend the games.

Reactions: Confucius

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
One playoff round win, in 20+ years...............this is why fans are not happy.
The regular season, means nothing if you can't compete when the games mean something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad