Confirmed with Link: Blackhawks trade Hjalmarsson to Arizona for Connor Murphy & Laurent Dauphin

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
Yotes could absolutely open the checkbook for him. They did it last year with Goligoski. They will need to show Ekman-Larsson they are committed if they hope to retain him. They have a ton of young ELC forwards coming up. They can afford to sink some money into the D.

The Hammer and Stepan trades signal they think their rebuild is over. They now have a strong top 4 (OEL, Hammer, Goligoski, Chychrun) and a nice 1-2 punch down the middle with Stepan and Keller, with Strome coming up as depth.

I mean yeah they could open they checkbook for him but it puts them in a really rough spot if they don't contend in the next two years. In two years Hjalmarsson, who already has ALOT of miles on him, is going to be 32 and probably looking for a 6mil contract. Meanwhile Murphy is in the prime of his career at 26 still locked up for 3 more years at 3.8.

I'm just saying if the Yotes don't make any waves in the playoffs in the next couple years. This has the potential to look bad in retrospect.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Hammer had to waive his NMC ...right?But I guess it was a modified No trade claw in that NMC so he must have had a list of teams willing to go to..But who woukd have think Aizona?Either the opportunity to be 1st pairing with Ekman-Larsen and as a true 2D he sees the big payday raise to a 2D level after 2 more years ..Probably a Seabrook like "final" contract that he knew he could never get from the cap crunched Hawks in 2 years.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Spare a moment and imagine a year of Seabrook taking all of Hammer's defensive zone starts.

Murphy had the same defensive zone starts numbers as Hammer. This past season Murphy had an even more sided defensive zone number than Hjalmarrson has ever had.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Take good care of Murph, this deal should prove to be a win for you guys. Really don't like the value from the AZ side but I understand the fit.

Dauphin isn't your usual toss in either.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I mean yeah they could open they checkbook for him but it puts them in a really rough spot if they don't contend in the next two years. In two years Hjalmarsson, who already has ALOT of miles on him, is going to be 32 and probably looking for a 6mil contract. Meanwhile Murphy is in the prime of his career at 26 still locked up for 3 more years at 3.8.

I'm just saying if the Yotes don't make any waves in the playoffs in the next couple years. This has the potential to look bad in retrospect.

I think the new full in charge owner probably is concerned if they don't make the playoffs in the next couple years they have the potential to be the Nordiques.

mikee

Jul 6, 2016
Quality of defense depends so much on the chemistry of a pairing. We have seen this over and over. Seabrook struggles with some guys, but performs fine with others. Same with Oduya.

Murphy could get paired with Keith (which helps everyone generally) or he could get Kempny or maybe even Campbell if he returns. I can see potential in any one of those pairings. I'm looking forward to see how it plays out.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I think Campbell will return. He's gonna be at fan fest tonight. I don't think he's retiring, so I'll just assume they'll get another one year deal worked out after the big moves have been made.

mikee

Jul 6, 2016
Hammer had to waive his NMC ...right?But I guess it was a modified No trade claw in that NMC so he must have had a list of teams willing to go to..But who woukd have think Aizona?Either the opportunity to be 1st pairing with Ekman-Larsen and as a true 2D he sees the big payday raise to a 2D level after 2 more years ..Probably a Seabrook like "final" contract that he knew he could never get from the cap crunched Hawks in 2 years.

My guess is that AZ was not on his list of teams he would block because most players would assume that AZ wouldn't be buying a veteran defender anyway. It is more likely the list was Canadian teams and maybe west coast teams that would be further from Sweden. Just a guess though.

mikee

Jul 6, 2016
I think Campbell will return. He's gonna be at fan fest tonight. I don't think he's retiring, so I'll just assume they'll get another one year deal worked out after the big moves have been made.

Yeah, the fact that he is still hanging around at things like fan fest is a sign his return is imminent. He doesn't care about the money and the Hawks cannot possibly find a more qualified 3rd pair guy at such a low salary.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Yeah, the fact that he is still hanging around at things like fan fest is a sign his return is imminent. He doesn't care about the money and the Hawks cannot possibly find a more qualified 3rd pair guy at such a low salary.

Yup. I expect they'll platoon him with Forsling in that #6 spot.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I can see Campbell just slipping right into a media role anyway and he lives in Chicago so where else would he be to not be around. If they do bring him back that just re-creates the Kempny/Forsling/Campbell logjam again.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I can see Campbell just slipping right into a media role anyway and he lives in Chicago so where else would he be to not be around. If they do bring him back that just re-creates the Kempny/Forsling/Campbell logjam again.

It's quite a gamble to assume Forsling take over the #6 spot given his struggles last year and he was never recalled after. I think you tell Forsling the job is his to lose, and Q is told to favor Forsling, but Campbell is there in case they need to send Forsling down again.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC

If we're going to rebuild, let's rebuild the right way. Go all in with the youngsters. We need to get rid of Kruger's contract. Is there any way to get rid of Seabrook's contract?

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

Well... he lives in Chicago. And his wife is a local from Chicago. So he hangs in Chicago for more than just Blackhawks events.

Not being an ass. Just pointing it out. :laugh:

mikee

Jul 6, 2016
Yup. I expect they'll platoon him with Forsling in that #6 spot.

No.

Forsling needs to play. In Chicago or preferably Rockford. He needs all-situation ice time. Then if he plays well and looks like he is ready to make the jump they can bring him up near the playoffs and see if he can improve the lineup.

Gustafsson would be a much better choice to sit in press box and platoon with Campbell.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I mean, I'm fine with Gus. But after being in RFD for the entire year, I'm afraid his time in Chicago might be up.

giza

Jul 19, 2011
Good trade. Murphy had over 200 hits. Hawks blueline is pathetically non-physical. Love Hammer and would have preferred Seabrook gone, but can't have everything. The other guys sounds like a plug and play 3/4 line type guy.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Hopefully Hjalmarsson gets to play with OEL. That's going to be a sick pairing and hopefully a nice consolation prize for getting traded.

Hjalmarsson was an excellent Blackhawk. Sad to see him go.

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
Hope the Hawks get Michael Stone. Another ARI dman, who thrived after getting traded. Big RD..

Keith - Stone
Forsling - Murphy
Kempny - Seabrook
Rutta

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
We prob have cap to get Sharp back at this point with Hoss gone, 1 yr deal @ 2-2.5M

Saad - Toews - Schmaltz
Sharp - Anisimov - Kane
Panik - Kruger - Hartman
Jurco/Ras - Kero - Hayden/Hino

sedag

Once a season.
May 6, 2010
Murphy had the same defensive zone starts numbers as Hammer. This past season Murphy had an even more sided defensive zone number than Hjalmarrson has ever had.

That's encouraging. I'll look for more data on Murphy's performance. He certainly couldn't have faced the same quality of competition as Hammer but I'd like to see how well he projects.

Seabrook comment was a joke.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
The one nice thing is Murphy is a righty.

As much as I love Hammer and his versatility to play both sides, he was beginning to slow just a tad, and some of those clearing attempts on his off side were getting a little weaker and a little more late. I felt moving forward that he was going to need to move back to the left side in order to maintain his top pair ability.

Yep. Agreed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad