Confirmed with Link: Blackhawks trade Hjalmarsson to Arizona for Connor Murphy & Laurent Dauphin

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HawksFan37

Dec 27, 2007
I don't know much about Murphy, and will definitely give him a chance.

Feel bad for him though because this will be a tough spot for him to walk in to considering who he was traded for. Hope fans give him a fair shake and some patience because he's not going to replace Hammer over night.

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
Keith - Seabrook
Forsling - Murphy
Kempny - Rutta

I actually kind of like that. Younger and more mobile on the back end which was needed.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Advanced stats guys/gals will question this BUT they need to remember that playing in AZ is much different that Chicago due to the talent gap. Murphy should end up as a solid middle pairing guy for the Hawks.

coolhand

Jan 20, 2016
Streamwood, IL
I loved Hammer too, but the Hawks need to get younger, bigger, and faster. The blocked shots and wear and tear looked to me like it was taking it's toll on him and he just wasn't the same player.

He is fearless though, that's what I really liked about the guy.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
This is a terrible trade. WTF...

Murphy is a 3rd pair D at best, and Hammer was arguably our 2nd best defender.

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014

This is a perfect example of why advanced stats don't tell the entire story. Come on JD, third pair player at best?

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
Dont have complete confidence in Stans trades. Why does Runbad keep flashing through my mind. Not saying Murphy is Runblad but...

Murphy is ripped though. Just hope it isnt a case of look like Tarzan, play like Jane.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Dont have complete confidence in Stans trades. Why does Runbad keep flashing through my mind. Not saying Murphy is Runblad but...

Murphy is ripped though. Just hope it isnt a case of look like Tarzan, play like Jane.

Likely result of how many he has been on losing end of in recent years

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
This team wasn't going to contend in 18' and Hjalmarsson's game drops off a cliff if he loses a step since he can't do much in the offensive zone in my opinion. Hammer was one of my favorite Hawks, but I have been dreading what he's going to look like and what he's going to want get paid at the end of his current contract.

My only issue with the return is Murphy's health, he's got to clean up some of the unnecessary/non useful abrasiveness so he stays on the ice and is 100% going into the spring. He skates pretty well imo, I think he will evolve defensively.

I'm pretty upbeat about the trade, I don't think Hjalmarsson is going to be worth nearly as much next summer and I'm not convinced he can help the team win long term at a big cap hit.

If I thought they were in a spot to better contend in 18', this trade might upset me. Given the circumstances, it's a gamble but it's an equal gamble (for me) to bank on Hjalmarsson maintaining his level of play.

Besides, this is much more fun than dumping a player just for cap room.

Cubs2024wildcard

Caleb Williams is a bust
Apr 29, 2015

So, a guy who hits 4x as much as Hammer, blocks a small percentage less, and averaged 2 min less of total ice time on a much weaker team is a third pairing guy?

Gimmie a break

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I seem to remember when Murphy resigned at that term/cap hit the mainboards was praising Chayka. Now he sucks?

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Part of being good management is being proactive. Would you rather see the Blackhawks act like the Bulls, White Sox, or Bears. Those franchises are always reacting ... settling for good enough. Sometimes you have to go nuclear like Theo Epstein did.

Rocky Wirtz isn't willing to settle for mediocrity. He's willing to take chances. If it fails, he'll order another code red. I can appreciate that as a fan. He's not scared to fail. He's a good owner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad