Confirmed with Link: Blackhawks trade Hjalmarsson to Arizona for Connor Murphy & Laurent Dauphin

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MadhouseOnMadison

Man crush on Amonte
Oct 15, 2010
Not a fan of this right now. Has Hjalmarsson been regressing? Sure, but I find it hard to believe this was the best deal on the table for him.

mikee

Jul 6, 2016
Won't be the same without my two favorite players next year, Hossa and Hammer, but the club did need to get younger. I don't know enough about the two guys coming back to gauge whether the return was sufficient. The Yotes haven't exactly been priority viewing the past couple of years.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
So, a guy who hits 4x as much as Hammer, blocks a small percentage less, and averaged 2 min less of total ice time on a much weaker team is a third pairing guy?

Gimmie a break

He hits more because he has the puck 4 times less than Hammer. :laugh:

Look, all I know is we lost our 2nd best overall defensemen and best pure shutdown defensemen. And we haven't increased our mobility on iota on the back-end.

Frankly, I think Crawford is looking at the D that Darling is going to be playing in front of and wishing he had been traded to CAR instead. (not really, but you get the jist).

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
This trade doesn't make sense from a Coyotes perspective imo. They're not gonna be a contender in the next couple years and you gotta think after being on a team friendly deal for most of his career that Hjalmarsson wants to get paid, especially now that he's with a new franchise he has no loyalty to. Could see him leaving UFA in two years.

mikee

Jul 6, 2016
The one nice thing is Murphy is a righty.

As much as I love Hammer and his versatility to play both sides, he was beginning to slow just a tad, and some of those clearing attempts on his off side were getting a little weaker and a little more late. I felt moving forward that he was going to need to move back to the left side in order to maintain his top pair ability.

jaysoneil

Feb 22, 2013
IL
Not a fan of this right now. Has Hjalmarsson been regressing? Sure, but I find it hard to believe this was the best deal on the table for him.

We'd all be surprised. Arizona is in all out fire-sale mode the last few days. Opens the doors to every team. I'm sure they had healthy trade options.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
This is a terrible trade. WTF...

Murphy is a 3rd pair D at best, and Hammer was arguably our 2nd best defender.

Based on what, Murphy the last 2 years was Arizona's top utilized Defensive situation Dman and had at the top corsi's for their D despite a major defensive role. Which is what allowed them to just use OEL in all around roles kinda like Hjammer to Keith in the years when that was done before they kept getting paired.

mikee

Jul 6, 2016
This trade doesn't make sense from a Coyotes perspective imo. They're not gonna be a contender in the next couple years and you gotta think after being on a team friendly deal for most of his career that Hjalmarsson wants to get paid, especially now that he's with a new franchise he has no loyalty to. Could see him leaving UFA in two years.

Yotes could absolutely open the checkbook for him. They did it last year with Goligoski. They will need to show Ekman-Larsson they are committed if they hope to retain him. They have a ton of young ELC forwards coming up. They can afford to sink some money into the D.

The Hammer and Stepan trades signal they think their rebuild is over. They now have a strong top 4 (OEL, Hammer, Goligoski, Chychrun) and a nice 1-2 punch down the middle with Stepan and Keller, with Strome coming up as depth.

Cubs2024wildcard

Caleb Williams is a bust
Apr 29, 2015
He hits more because he has the puck 4 times less than Hammer. :laugh:

Look, all I know is we lost our 2nd best overall defensemen and best pure shutdown defensemen. And we haven't increased our mobility on iota on the back-end.

Frankly, I think Crawford is looking at the D that Darling is going to be playing in front of and wishing he had been traded to CAR instead. (not really, but you get the jist).
And to that I say look at the respective teams both played on.

If you are going to base any debate around advanced stats, you have to wait until Murphy plays with the players here to annoint a drop off.

You are extremely good basing off stats, but your wrong here. Murphy is very, very good.

Paul Allen

Oct 24, 2011
Los Angeles
I think they'll flip him at the deadline to a contending team for a team's top prospect.

kuzy

Mar 31, 2012
St. Charles, IL
Speechless.

Say what you want about Bowman but there is no denying that the man makes moves :laugh: I've always liked murphy, I still remember watching his OT game winner against Sweden for gold in the junior world championship in 2011. Do I like him more than Hammer though? Notalgia say no, but I hope this trade work out well in the future.

With the warrior that hjalmarsson has been and 2 years left on his contract, this may be the best time to move him before his inevitable decline. It's trades like this that, although they suck at the time, will allow us to remain a contender in the long term

Last edited:

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
Love the willingness to make the moves... this is change I like to see. Younger and cost controlled.

Hopefully Seabrook is next.

wahsnairb

Jun 9, 2010
Hawks fan who grew up in Columbus. Followed Murphy since I've played against him. He is a beast and this is going to be such a great move.. maybe even sooner than people think.

I love both trades.

zytz

lumberjack
Jul 25, 2011
this deal has the potential to be good, but man this really makes me uneasy. i just dont see murphy being the same caliber of defender

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Speechless.

Say what you want about Bowman but there is not denying that the man makes moves :laugh: I've always liked murphy, I still remember watching his OT game winner against Sweden for gold in the junior world championship in 2011. Do I like him more than Hammer though? Notalgia say no, but I hope this trade work out well in the future.

With the warrior that hjalmarsson has been and 2 years left on his contract, this may be the best time to move him before his inevitable decline. It's trades like this that, although they suck at the time, will allow us to remain a contender in the long term

It's better than what the White Sox, Bulls, and Bears have done recently. Satisfied with mediocrity. The Hawks are willing to take chances. They are not scared to fail. With the same roster, Rocky could have been satisfied with selling out the UC for 5 more years. Nope ... he wants to win. We should applaud Rocky Wirtz. In the similar mold of Theo Epstein.

sedag

Once a season.
May 6, 2010
Spare a moment and imagine a year of Seabrook taking all of Hammer's defensive zone starts.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
this deal has the potential to be good, but man this really makes me uneasy. i just dont see murphy being the same caliber of defender

He's only 24. Time to develop still... whereas I could see a warrior like Hammer falling off a cliff harder than Wile-e-Coyote in the next year or two. I think the Hawks just extracted max value out of Hammer... as much as I loved him, he wasn't going to be a top 4 D for much longer.

The Hawks also still have Rutta, Forsling, Kempny, and Raddysh. All of which we have no idea what they will develop into.

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
Hawks got lucky drafting Hjalmarsson. Super mobile with size, turned into a puck eater and played solid d. Those type of d-picks dont happen often.

Not fair to compare Murphy to Nick.

Mobility will come from Forsling and other prospects.

NHL RankKing

Fantasy Guru
Aug 31, 2013
Hockeytown
www.nhlrankking.com
I wonder if there is a handshake attached to this deal that will see Hossa traded away to the Coyotes once it is ratified by the league.

It's very tough to lose Panarin, Hossa and Hjalmarsson over the course of a few days. The Hawks have one of the best scouting staff in the league and I think we need to trust that they know what they are doing and are on the same page as Bowman's vision to getting this team back in contender form.
I really hope this marks the next beginning and not the end of a great ride.

jaysoneil

Feb 22, 2013
IL
He's only 24. Time to develop still... whereas I could see a warrior like Hammer falling off a cliff harder than Wile-e-Coyote in the next year or two. I think the Hawks just extracted max value out of Hammer... as much as I loved him, he wasn't going to be a top 4 D for much longer.

The Hawks also still have Rutta, Forsling, Kempny, and Raddysh. All of which we have no idea what they will develop into.

*Cough Cough Seabrook!*

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
For those that don't know his game, this is how The Hockey News describes Murphy.

ASSETS:
Has great skating ability and loads of defensive acumen. Can make an impact at the highest level because he can get under opponents' skin. Also boasts a tremendous (6-4, 212 pounds) frame.
FLAWS:
Needs to improve his defensive-zone coverage and shutdown ability even more in order to maximize output in the NHL. Is also somewhat prone to injury. Lacks some offensive flair, too.
CAREER POTENTIAL:
Inconsistent shutdown defenseman with some upside.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad