Blackhawks sued (again) by teammate of Kyle Beach for sexual assault

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
lol, most want both, justice and penalize the team.

Wrong. The truth that nobody is gonna want to hear is that the player is seeking compensation, not justice.

Justice would be seeking to put Brad Aldrich in prison for years, where he probably belongs.

For all the alleged and confirmed transgressions of his, I believe he only served 9 months in jail. Crazy

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
What other teams have or don’t have is irrelevant. Aldrich should not have kept his position, a position that affects on ice performance.
Agreed. But his presence didn’t provide Chicago an unfair advantage over other teams that all had video coaches.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
The guy coached my favorite team to three Cups. Sopel was there in 2010 and he knows the story better than anyone in here. He's said a lot of things on the topic.

I can still support the organization.. but God Damn f*** Joel Quenneville and Stan Bowman and John McDonough.

The players likely all knew too (based on Sopels testimony), but I can understand the argument that they came back the next year and he was gone so it was "taken care of".

If they knew and brushed it aside then f*** them too.

Due to the nature of the allegations, it's understandable that some victims may take a while to come forward and others may not come forward at all.
This player already came forward and was in the initial report, he is just now deciding to sue the Blackhawks for 15 counts of negligence.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Agreed. But his presence didn’t provide Chicago an unfair advantage over other teams that all had video coaches.
They could have easily suspended him(and promote someone else to replace him) until an investigation was completed and simply waited until after the playoffs concluded to release any information to the public regarding his actions. But instead, they valued his contributions enough to cover up his sexual abuse of multiple players for a decade.

hawksrule

May 18, 2014
They could have easily suspended him(and promote someone else to replace him) until an investigation was completed and simply waited until after the playoffs concluded to release any information to the public regarding his actions. But instead, they valued his contributions enough to cover up his sexual abuse of multiple players for a decade.
Agreed. That still doesn’t imply a competitive advantage over other teams, who also had video coaches.

• Haha
Reactions: zeeto

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
The fact that an organization disrespecting a NTC has worse consequences than covering up sexual assault is insane.
From the NHL owners (therefore the league) point of view, it's completely rational. It's wrong, unprincipled, and cowardly. But not insane.

potatowejj

Oct 22, 2019
Agreed. That still doesn’t imply a competitive advantage over other teams, who also had video coaches.

I mean, dismantling the 2010 team/coaching staff in the middle of the rise of a burgeoning dynasty certainly would've put them at a disadvantage.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
Yelp

The Chicago Blackhawks are the most disgusting franchise in NHL's long History is now a confirmed fact

And they'll most likely be rewarded by another 1st round Pick

Meanwhile, the Sens are getting one of their 1st round Pick taken out because their former GM couldn't be bothered with reading NMC clauses - which is ok; but the fact that the NHL won't act on Chicago is Bush league stuff
Stark the difference in which franchises are treated. Chicago should not have kept its first this past year.

Putt Pirate

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 15, 2015
Stark the difference in which franchises are treated. Chicago should not have kept its first this past year.
Conveient last year's but not the year before.....when all this came to head and the discipline was handed out. I like the HF revisionist history here because Bedard is involved.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Just wanna chime in and say how happy I am to see Sopel being the only player from those Cup teams with a backbone. Embarrassing how the other players have run cover for that franchise.

Sopel is a beauty.

You won’t hear anything from Toews or that child supporting idiot Duncan Keith, probably scrapping his earnings to pay whatever he owes. f*** them.

Reactions: Barnum

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
The NHL Constitution only gives the commissioner power to take away draft picks for transgressions affecting the competitive aspects of the game. As terrible as Chicago’s handling of the Aldrich situation was, in my opinion it would have been a difficult legal argument for the League to make that not reporting possible issues with the video coach to HR immediately to avoid internal distractions affected competitive advantage. If we used that principle then any misdeed a team commits during the playing season could be considered as affecting competitive aspects of the game—which I don’t believe is the spirit of the Constitutional limitation of Commissioner power.

A good question is why doesn’t the NHL Constitution grant the commissioner power to fine teams draft picks for all transgressions? Not solely for transgressions judged to affect competitive aspects of the NHL?
To put it simply - the owners, a bunch of super rich people who only want to be accountable to each other with respect to the fairness of their association for them. They don't care about fairness for lowly employees, or contractors.

I have no doubt that these owners see significant risk wrt the performance and value of their franchises if they were to hold each other accountable for creating workplaces that value basic human decency. My question isn't, 'Are there any other instances of organizations covering up sexual harassment or assault? No, I'm certain there is. What I'd like to know is, 'How many organizations, and how many instances?'

This is one reason I wouldn't say Chicago is getting preferential treatment. Would anybody be surprised if Ottawa had skeletons of the sort in their past? Come on, there's smoke there as it is. Chicago isn't being punished because the owners drew a line, realizing that the league (their association) has more to lose by investigating, and punishing sexual harassment and assault than it has to gain.

And I realize a lot of my countrymen don't like this way of thinking, but here it is: that's one thing government is for. The owners should be taken to task by government. Of course, governments aren't very functional these days.

Last edited:

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
Conveient last year's but not the year before.....when all this came to head and the discipline was handed out. I like the HF revisionist history here because Bedard is involved.
There was an investigation, you don’t hand out penalties before that is complete. Talk about revisionist to fit a narrative. Should they have just given the punishment? It just took them 18 months to make a call on a botched trade and reporting of a NTC.

Putt Pirate

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 15, 2015
There was an investigation, you don’t hand out penalties before that is complete. Talk about revisionist to fit a narrative. Should they have just given the punishment? It just took them 18 months to make a call on a botched trade and reporting of a NTC.
Exactly. That was the draft BEFORE Bedard. So maybe understand that instead of putting your butthurt pants on making shit up.

hawksrule

May 18, 2014
I mean, dismantling the 2010 team/coaching staff in the middle of the rise of a burgeoning dynasty certainly would've put them at a disadvantage.
The games were played on a level playing field. Neither side had an unfair competitive advantage.

Last edited:
Reactions: Voight

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Receiving contributions that affects on ice performance from someone who should not be in a position to make those contributions absolutely is a competitive advantage.

hawksrule

May 18, 2014
Receiving contributions that affects on ice performance from someone who should not be in a position to make those contributions absolutely is a competitive advantage.
It was a level playing field. Each team had a video coach. I wish Chicago had changed theirs, but having one was not a competitive advantage, lol. You can call the Chicago management from then every name in the book and I will agree, but there was not a competitive advantage.

How much you selling land in the Everglades for?
Same price as you can get for your meaningless quips.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad