Rumor: Blackhawks' Kevin Hayes on Rangers radar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
2 year ELC. Arbitration eligible at the end of the ELC. Hayes is 22. Needs 2 years.

$825,000 is the max for A bonuses

$2,000,000 is the max for B bonuses

$925,000 NHL salary

10% of that salary can be a signing bonus. $185,000 in total

$2,850,000 in bonuses

$925,000

$3,775,000 cap hit

$70,000 AHL

The Rangers can use the bonus cushion if Hayes hits some of the bonuses.

Haha I literally just came to the thread to make sure about this. Here's the link on ELC's for those interested.

http://www.capgeek.com/faq/how-do-entry-level-contracts-work

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
So the Rangers weren't one of the five teams Hayes turned down over the past two days. Question is, how many other teams are in the thick of it at the moment?

The Rangers are one of the five teams which made the cut from the weekend. Hayes whittled the down the list of interested teams to five. Rangers,Bruins,Penguins,Avs and Preds.

Thesensation19*

Rangers apparently thick in the race here.
Prob down to Preds, Avs and NY

I am sure all these teams are giving him rookie max contracts but he seems to want comfort, strong organization and playing time asap.

He will get that in Nashville but I cant see him going there.
Must be nice to play for Roy, a lot of young guys in Colorado too.

But something says he cant say no to Sather who will give him everything and more. Plus play with Kreider

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
anyone wanna gimme a scouting report on Hayes?

Big kid, more of a passer than scorer, has good strength, pretty good skater for his size. I sometimes question his hockey IQ. Not a true power forward but will use his size to his advantage. Can play either wing.

I like him.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Teams are allowed the exceed the upper limit by 7.5% with performance bonuses. $5,175,000 with $69M cap. If a team is over the upper limit with bonuses,that is tacked on to the following season cap. Say the Rangers sign Hayes,he would need a lights out season to max out his bonuses.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
The bonus number may seem crazy, but of the $2 mill Type B bonuses, really only the Calder bonus ($212,500) is realistic unless he's one of the league's elite.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
How do the bonuses rolling over work again? Rangers have no other bonuses on the cap besides Miller and Fast, could they roll over whatever Hayes hits to next season? I know there's a limit on rollover bonuses IIRC.

Maximum allowed is 7.5% of the upper limit

A Club shall be permitted to have an Averaged Club Salary in excess of the Upper Limit resulting from Performance Bonuses solely to the extent that such excess results from the inclusion in Averaged Club Salary of: (i) Exhibit 5 Individual "A" Performance Bonuses and "B" Performance Bonuses paid by the Club that may be earned by Players in the Entry Level System and (ii) Performance Bonuses that may be earned by Players pursuant to Section 50.2(b)(i)(C) above, provided that under no circumstances may a Club's Averaged Club Salary so exceed the Upper Limit by an amount greater than the result of seven-and-one-half (7.5) percent multiplied by the Upper Limit (the "Performance Bonus Cushion").

at the conclusion of each League Year, the amount of Performance Bonuses actually earned, including, without limitation, and for purposes of clarity, (i) Exhibit 5 Individual "A" Performance Bonuses and "B" Performance Bonuses paid by the Club that may be earned by Players in the Entry Level System and (ii) Performance Bonuses that may be earned by Players pursuant to Section 50.2(b)(i)(C) above, shall be determined and shall be charged against the Club's Upper Limit and Averaged Club Salary for such League Year. To the extent a Club's Averaged Club Salary exceeds its Upper Limit as a result of: (i) Exhibit 5 Individual "A" Performance Bonuses and "B" Performance Bonuses paid by the Club that may be earned by Players in the Entry Level System and (ii) Performance Bonuses that may be earned by Players pursuant to Section 50.2(b)(i)(C) above, then the Club's Upper Limit for the next League Year shall be reduced by an amount equal to such excess.

$5,175,000. That's how much teams are allowed but the overage is taken out of the next season cap.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/201...p-100-nhl-prospects-1-20-free-agent-nhl-draft

SBN, who had Hayes ranked as their #1 prospect, compared him to David Backes.

If he's truly the best prospect in college, it would be insane to have him signed. Skjei is ranked only #16 and Hayes is #1. If he's better (actually significantly better) than Skjei, we are looking at acquiring what would be our #1 or #2 prospect.

A #1 NCAA prospect could replace St. Louis as one of our top RWs in a year. Everyone's focusing on what kind of a role he'd get this year, but one pitch the Rangers should make is that St. Louis is old, while Stemp and Lombardi are just single year signings, so even if he starts slow in the NHL, he'll certainly have every chance to be a top-9 or even top-6 player by next season, if he's capable.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
If he's truly the best prospect in college, it would be insane to have him signed. Skjei is ranked only #16 and Hayes is #1. If he's better (actually significantly better) than Skjei, we are looking at acquiring what would be our #1 or #2 prospect.

A #1 NCAA prospect could replace St. Louis as one of our top RWs in a year. Everyone's focusing on what kind of a role he'd get this year, but one pitch the Rangers should make is that St. Louis is old, while Stemp and Lombardi are just single year signings, so even if he starts slow in the NHL, he'll certainly have every chance to be a top-9 or even top-6 player by next season, if he's capable.

I think he is ready for the NHL right now in a 3rd line role. Maybe Teddy Purcell is a good comparison

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Poor man's Blake Wheeler. Great passing ability on the wing, but doesn't punish people with his body. Not as good of a skater as Wheeler is. The Backes comparison is nuts. Likely winds up as a 30-35 point 3rd liner, but has potential to work his way into a top-six role.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
anyone wanna gimme a scouting report on Hayes?

A few notes.

He is big. Listings are what they are, Hayes gotta be close to a honest 6'4.

He is a fairly smart player. He works well with smart linemates so to speak. Like he is just smart in the attacking zone. He can pull of the odd move and has a good shot on he rush.

He will never be able to always be on top of the puck and to eat guys up on the forecheck. He skates like a big man. It will be up to his linemates to get him involved in the play.

My strong impression of him is that he is a center turned RW. I think he just as well could play LW.

I don't think he makes the team out of camp, but with his size I think he would get a lot of attention. Eventually he would make it. Good odds for it at least. We really need size and he has a lot of it...

Zuccarello Awesome*

I think he is ready for the NHL right now in a 3rd line role. Maybe Teddy Purcell is a good comparison

Very good comparison actually.

Somewhere between Blake Wheeler and Teddy Purcell is exactly how I see his game translating to the NHL.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Yeah, but from the little I've seen of him he isn't soft either. More gritty than Pouliot.

That is fair, I didn't mean to paint him as soft. He battles and will engage physically. But when I think of Backes physicality is a huge part of his game, especially the ability to wear down dmen on the forecheck.

I tend to like the Wheeler comparison the best. Wheeler with Boston before he broke out is a good comp.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Teams are interested in Hayes because he doesn't require compensation to acquire. Its no different than the other college hockey free agents. Teams fight over a handful of players every spring. Hayes will play in the NHL. He is a big body. Is he a top six NHL forward? Not likely. Hayes could play in the bottom six and potentially move up.

I doubt anyone is suggesting he's immediately a top-6 player. The hope is that he can start as a bottom-6 player and hit the top-6 in his prime. If he remains a bottom-6 player, he won't hit bonuses, that easy.

To say that all college players are pursued is not exactly accurate because it is a matter of degrees: Hayes is certainly more pursued than McCarthy or even Haggerty.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Remember when everyone was clamoring to sign Tim Erixon?

you know, that soft little spoiled puke who sucked at hockey?

yeah... I'm indifferent on this guy and not a fan of guys that won't sign with the team that drafted them.

Ok, and remember when everyone was clamoring to sign Zuccarello?

One player succeeding or failing has no effect on the careers of other players.

Zuccarello Awesome*

A few notes.

He is big. Listings are what they are, Hayes gotta be close to a honest 6'4.

He is a fairly smart player. He works well with smart linemates so to speak. Like he is just smart in the attacking zone. He can pull of the odd move and has a good shot on he rush.

He will never be able to always be on top of the puck and to eat guys up on the forecheck. He skates like a big man. It will be up to his linemates to get him involved in the play.

My strong impression of him is that he is a center turned RW. I think he just as well could play LW.

I don't think he makes the team out of camp, but with his size I think he would get a lot of attention. Eventually he would make it. Good odds for it at least. We really need size and he has a lot of it...

I think he has a very good chance of pushing Stempniak to the fourth line and making the team out of camp. This isn't some 18-year-old 160 pound prospect. This is a young man with tons of size, who can handle the puck. He's ready for a 3rd-line role IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad