Rumor: Blackhawks' Kevin Hayes on Rangers radar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
If we can sign him he'll end up being out best bottom 6 player.

It might just be me, but I think he is a center and could push Miller at 3c, and Miller becomes trade bait. If not he certainly will have the chance to win a spot.

AHB*

Maybe. He supposedly can play LW or RW. Somewhere in the bottom 6.

Like I said, it isn't the Rangers' style to offer players guaranteed playing time, but what if they said "We'll give you a minimum of 20 games", or something like that. 20 games is 1/4 of the season. I'm sure he wouldn't mind a guarantee of earning at least 1/4 of his NHL salary.

Another team might be willing to give him max bonuses, but those are meaningless if he doesn't earn them, and he won't earn them in the AHL. Playing time is really the only currency these teams can use to up the ante.

With the Rangers depth, there is absolutely no way they should ever do that. It would be stupid.

He is not a proven NHL player and if he completely sucks and isn't ready, we can't have some BS verbal or written agreement with a player to guarantee him playing time.

Also, this is never going to happen with any team outside of bottom feeders. Especially one coming of an Conference Championship.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
With the Rangers depth, there is absolutely no way they should ever do that. It would be stupid.

He is not a proven NHL player and if he completely sucks and isn't ready, we can't have some BS verbal or written agreement with a player to guarantee him playing time.

Also, this is never going to happen with any team outside of bottom feeders. Especially one coming of an Conference Championship.

I didn't say that the Rangers would or should do it. I was simply offering a possibility of what the Rangers could have offered that would be good enough to make Hayes want to sleep on it.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I love how the tide is slowly - predictably - turning to the kid being some kind of villain.

God forbid he should take a couple of days to consider his options and think seriously about a decision that's going to shape the next three years of his life - and very likely his entire playing career. :shakehead

From everything I've read, he is simply exercising a right he has under the CBA and is doing it all by the book. He waited until he was allowed to talk to other teams and then solicited offers. From there, his agents have been running an orderly process on his behalf, whittling down teams and negotiating terms. It'll all be done inside of a week (likely only a few days) and it's been done with none of the drama or media exposure of Justin Schultz, much less LeBron James.

Good for the kid. I hope he ends up a Ranger - but wherever he goes, he's been doing it right so far.

AHB*

I love how the tide is slowly - predictably - turning to the kid being some kind of villain.

God forbid he should take a couple of days to consider his options and think seriously about a decision that's going to shape the next three years of his life - and very likely his entire playing career. :shakehead

From everything I've read, he is simply exercising a right he has under the CBA and is doing it all by the book. He waited until he was allowed to talk to other teams and then solicited offers. From there, his agents have been running an orderly process on his behalf, whittling down teams and negotiating terms. It'll all be done inside of a week (likely only a few days) and it's been done with none of the drama or media exposure of Justin Schultz, much less LeBron James.

Good for the kid. I hope he ends up a Ranger - but wherever he goes, he's been doing it right so far.

There's been no drama because none of the big beat writers/reporters care enough to report on it. He's not that good of a player and all this hoopla created by the fans is simply because it's August and he's a former 1st round pick.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
There's been no drama because none of the big beat writers/reporters care enough to report on it. He's not that good of a player and all this hoopla created by the fans is simply because it's August and he's a former 1st round pick.

Also add on that he's American. Schultz is not.

THE BIG WHISTLE

Heave-Ho
Feb 16, 2012
By the beach

From everything I've read, he is exercising a right he has under the CBA, waited until he was allowed to talk to other teams and then solicited offers. From there, his agents on his behalf, have been running an orderly process of whittling down teams and negotiating terms. It'll all be done inside of a week, likely only a few days, and it's been done with none of the drama or media exposure of Justin Schultz, much less LeBron James.

You are right on with this. The kid is making a Professional decision but yet some on him make out it as he doesn't care about winning because he didn't sign with Chicago. It's obvious he is looking for something, maybe it's playing time, maybe it's just location, the bottomline it's his decision and we do not know the reason

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Hayes is 22. Any team getting him will have his services until he is 27. Two year ELC. Three years away from group 3. The Rangers need to rebuild the depth they lost.

My bad, RB - of course, you're right that it'll be a 2-year ELC since he's 22. I was merely referring to the fact that it'll be a minimum of the ELC. There's always the chance he flames out or gets injured and that's the only contract he ever gets. And, where he starts may well impact his development and the career that he has long after he turns 27...

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Hayes is 22. Any team getting him will have his services until he is 27. Two year ELC. Three years away from group 3. The Rangers need to rebuild the depth they lost.

This is the best way to do it. Sign undrafted/UFA's like this. Zamorsky, Zuccarello, Allen, Haggerty, Hayes, McCarthy, Donnay, etc.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Brooks said he would be ranked between 15th and 25th if draft eligible. That makes him a worthy investment. Hawks invested a 1st round pick. Making a deal like this certainly helps gap those 3 first round picks we moved for Nash & St. Louis

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
While he might be an upgrade in the bottom 6, there's no way he would be our best bottom 6 player when Hagelin will likely be playing in the bottom 6.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

Not to mention the draft picks they lost.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Mark Divver ‏@MarkDivver 28s
Not looking good for #bruins on Kevin Hayes. I'm being told Rangers and Avs appear to have inside track.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
That seals it. He's going to Colorado.

I think he has a better chance at beating out our NHL bottom 6 forwards and especially prospects than he does with Colorado, thats JMO though. Rangers are also closer to his home town than Colorado is, much closer which could play a factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad