Bill the Thrill: Nylander appreciation thread

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
It’ll be interesting to see how all the frontloaded signing bonus contracts turn out. Off the top of my head I can’t really think of too many big deals where the player got half the contract value in signing bonuses up front that have expired yet, I think Kane will be the first major one this offseason.

I’m mostly curious to see how it impacts the next deal he signs, he made about 50 of the total 84 mil in the first 4 years, and I would assume that 50 has been earning ~10% a year with some financial management firm. How much does he care about squeezing out an extra mil a season when his passive income should be compounding and dwarfing whatever extra he can squeeze out of a GM this summer?

Nylander is obviously in a different position in his career but he got just under half of his contract’s total value in the first 2 years of his deal and I imagine his dad helped make sure that money has been working for him since day 1. Even if he takes a below market deal in the 8-9 range he’a looking at breaking 100mil pre-tax in his early 30s with a similar front loaded signing bonus structure that pays him ~15mil the first few years.

Matthews and Marner might look for vanity cap numbers again but they’re also in a situation where they’re going to break 100mil by 30, and Tavares should be in a position where his NHL salary is a drop in the bucket compared to what his invested ~65mil pretax should be generating by now.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Trained by an Italian soccer organization

g0uxcm66h4a01.jpg

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I'm just here to show Willy some love.

Matthews and Marner get a lot of the hoopla, but man is Nylander a great player for us. He just get's better and better, and I hope he's re-signed.

Way to go Willy!
The thought of what those negotiations might look like scares the crap out of me. Having a great year though, amazing stuff. Haven't even heard anyone complain about his playoffs flyby's in a very long time, he seems to be winning over even his biggest detractors. :)

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Nylander has the most games this season with at least three points.

And heating up, as he's done all six since Dec 10!

Since Dec 8, he is fourth in points (behind McDavid, Kucherov, and Tkachuk), and has the 7th best ppg (everyone ahead of him has a higher TOI/g).

At even strength only Hughes, Kucherov, and Point have more goals, and only Kucherov has more points.

horner

May 22, 2007
Willy a leaf forever

I like Nylander more than Mathews now

I have been waiting for this willy to show up.
Keep up the great work.

I've said it before I don't want to sign mathews at 15 mil and lose Willy .

Sign them this summer
Mathews at 13mil
Willy at 10.5 mil

As I said if Matthews wants 15 mil then trade him

Last edited:
Reactions: Altair

MAB1

Jul 18, 2022
And heating up, as he's done all six since Dec 10!

Since Dec 8, he is fourth in points (behind McDavid, Kucherov, and Tkachuk), and has the 7th best ppg (everyone ahead of him has a higher TOI/g).

At even strength only Hughes, Kucherov, and Point have more goals, and only Kucherov has more points.
Peter Forsberg 2.0 all grown up now

Reactions: Willchel Marlynder

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Saw a nice video on twitter where William is just walking along the street wearing his jersey leaf uniform and …sandals? Wtf? Lol! stopping for photos with just about everyone. That is what we need on this team, not the oh too much pressure leave me alone type of players.
One things that’s clearly evident is this guy is almost perfectly built for big markets.

We’ve seen original 6 markets take players in and destroy them due to the pressure to perform, Drouin, Galchenyuk, Dach, Kravstov, laf, kakko, etc…

This dude didn’t let 2018-19 phase him, he came back better than ever

He’s amazing at blocking out the noise

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad