Biggest pet peeves in hockey?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
People who say "offsides"
The amount of stats shown in-broadcast. Shot speed is vaguely interesting, I have no interest in anything else.
The stupid numbers people wear. Who grows up wanting to be a star forward in the NHL wearing eighty six? Who lets goalies play wearing seventy four? The day a goalie wears a single digit number that isn't one is coming, and at that point you might as well forget about the NHL as a legitimate enterprise.

Reactions: El Travo

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
1) NHL Network and the fact that games on that channel are blacked out to people who pay to watch Hockey games but don't get said channel.

2) Off Sides

3) Replay. Wasn't Replay only for goals like 20 years ago? Those were incredibly quick reviews. Now we have reviews that take 5 minutes and it's a difference of an inch. The process takes too long

4) Games that all start at the same time so all the intermissions also happen at the same time.

Reactions: Azrael89

TommyKillian

Dec 12, 2013
When a blatant and obvious penalty happens right infront of a ref who can clearly see it but refuses to call it.
I have played hockey with a number of guys that also ref and the stupidest thing to me, is that the old time hockey guys view reffing as a subjective job. It shouldn't be. The league should take all subjectivity out of it and just call the rule book. If they did, we would have a far more exciting game with a higher skilled talent base.

Who wants to see slow defensemen running interference on Nik Ehlers when he is barreling in on the forecheck? Who wants to see Connor McDavid fighting through stray arms and sticks just to get to the net? Who wants to see a non-call slash on Matthews because it's late in the game, or it's overtime? Refs should have as little discretion as possible in calling the games.

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
Guys that doddle to the bench to change on the fly.
You're a finely tuned athlete, i'm sure if you dug deep enough you could summon the strength to take 3 purposeful strides. Everyone watching knows if there was an opportunity for a breakaway the energy reserves would definitely be there.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
pretty easy for me.

Established cycle

Putting pressure on the opponent, they are getting tired

Defenseman throws a weak wrist shot glove side. Easy glove save, threat ended.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Dmen can't do anything or its a 2. Gotta watch little Trevor Zegras and Cole Caufield figure skate around dmen who can't even lay any body.

The long lost art of crosschecking somebody in the crease being gone is another pet peeve of mine

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
It’s a small silly thing, but it bothers me when play by play guys say “he beat (insert goalie name) but hit the post!”. Well then he didn’t beat the goalie. He missed the net.

And I also agree with a bunch of posters, that the games starting 10-15 minutes later than listed start times is annoying and seems to be getting worse.
The thing is, if organizations WANT to drop the puck at 7:15 or whatever, then just list that as the start time.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
wtf is military jingoism?

"Honoring our heroes serving at home and overseas..." WTF has that got to do with sports and hockey? :skeptic:

Do you see the military being celebrated before a theatrical performance, or the anthems being sung? Nope, because it would be ridiculous. But it's just as ridiculous prior to a hockey game.

The hypocritical NHL, when it suits them, pretends that "hockey and politics should not mix". (I'm not gonna mention the current, most glaring example.) But that jingoism every single night is supposedly fine.

National anthems are OK for national team games. :thumbu: They make perfect sense there. But to sing (as an example) the US national anthem for a team consisting mostly of Canadians and Europeans? Come on!

By the way, I like the international hockey tradition, rather than football. In international hockey, only the team that wins the game gets to hear their national anthem after the game. All the more cause for a true celebration!

(In international football, they play the anthem for both national teams before the game, which is not quite as good.)

Reactions: PBandJ

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
People who say "offsides"
The amount of stats shown in-broadcast. Shot speed is vaguely interesting, I have no interest in anything else.
The stupid numbers people wear. Who grows up wanting to be a star forward in the NHL wearing eighty six? Who lets goalies play wearing seventy four? The day a goalie wears a single digit number that isn't one is coming, and at that point you might as well forget about the NHL as a legitimate enterprise.

I agree about the s on offside, and the broadcast stat overload. But the numbers?

86 is literally my number, and I've always worn it when I have the choice. And it's the number I would want to wear if I could play in the NHL. It's a reference to my mother, it's a reference to eliminating or removing something (to 86 the competition), and it's a reference to some great toyota cars like the AE86 and the modern GT86.

I can't fathom why you would care what number someone else wears.

Reactions: MarkWheeler

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
Presenting the starting line up before the game. It’s not soccer. Those guys will be off the ice in like 35 seconds, there will be an offside 50 seconds in and some other guys will come and take the next faceoff. Why does it even matter?

Also people saying this…
The Norris just goes to whoever has the most points. It's bullshit

… when it’s not even close to be true. Since the 2004-05 lockout, the leading scoring defenseman has won the Norris only 35% of the time. It hasn’t even happened in the last 5 seasons but some people are still complaining like it’s an actual fact.

Reactions: yada

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I agree about the s on offside, and the broadcast stat overload. But the numbers?

86 is literally my number, and I've always worn it when I have the choice. And it's the number I would want to wear if I could play in the NHL. It's a reference to my mother, it's a reference to eliminating or removing something (to 86 the competition), and it's a reference to some great toyota cars like the AE86 and the modern GT86.

I can't fathom why you would care what number someone else wears.
It looks stupid and ugly.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
"Honoring our heroes serving at home and overseas..." WTF has that got to do with sports and hockey? :skeptic:

Do you see the military being celebrated before a theatrical performance, or the anthems being sung? Nope, because it would be ridiculous. But it's just as ridiculous prior to a hockey game.

The hypocritical NHL, when it suits them, pretends that "hockey and politics should not mix". (I'm not gonna mention the current, most glaring example.) But that jingoism every single night is supposedly fine.

National anthems are OK for national team games. :thumbu: They make perfect sense there. But to sing (as an example) the US national anthem for a team consisting mostly of Canadians and Europeans? Come on!

By the way, I like the international hockey tradition, rather than football. In international hockey, only the team that wins the game gets to hear their national anthem after the game. All the more cause for a true celebration!

(In international football, they play the anthem for both national teams before the game, which is not quite as good.)
WTF does that rattle you so much? Pretty childish and pathetic when you think of it. Cant believe that 10-15 mins is such a big deal. So if Staff Sargeant <insert name> comes home after a year and change overseas to surprise his family at center ice thats not cool and shouldnt happen? WOW!!! Dont see the players having a problem with it when they skate up for the puck drop. A fan shouldnt either.

Same with the anthem, its not that big of a deal either. Only thing I would suggest is for teams to get better singers. Not ones that sing the canadian anthem in a Sinatra type of way like the guy in the Ducks/Oilers game last week. You know theres things you can do in that 5 mins right? You're not forced to be in your seat if the anthem ruins your game experience.

Reactions: Strawberry Fields

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
This opinion is stupid and ugly.
Lou Lamoriello would be turning in his grave at the thought of the Devils' best player wearing #86. It's... it's not even a rookie callup number, it's barely even a training camp PTO number. Wear #10 like a star forward should and be done with it.

Reactions: OrangePMD

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Probably mentioned already but my 2 biggest are

-Refs calling penalties based on the score/how many they’ve already called. If one team gets two or 3 consecutive PP’s you know they won’t get another until the other team gets closer in PP time. Just call the rules.

-Jumping a player for a clean hit. I get it, it’s a fast and emotional game, but if someone gets crushed for having their head down that’s their fault.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad