Better forward group: Tampa, Toronto or Other?

Better forward group

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The reason they don't look at the percentage when the contract kicks in because there are chances for the cap to go up or down, so you won't have people saying things like "Crosby signed for 20% of the cap" because the cap just happened to go down.

That's why cap hit percentages are always calculated on the day of that cap, and that's how it is officially recorded.

Irregardless, again, this is getting into arguing semantics about something that wasn't even the main issue. The overall point is, it's a weak argument to say "if he's this good, he should get what this other player gets". Which was my point, rather than arguing the exact fine details of how to calculate cap hit percentages.

The Crosby/Tavares example, whether you want to compare actual salary or percentage of cap hit or whatever, shows that there's no correlation between skill level of the respective players and pay since if that were the case, Crosby should be making much, much more than Tavares. Yet, here we are.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
So from this thread, I've learned that a select vocal few Tampa fans would prefer Gourde to Marner, and Point to Tavares.

I'll be interested in seeing that play out. We're in trouble if our 2nd and 3rd best players are worse than Tampa's 4th and 8th-10th best players. Hard to believe considering there wasn't much of a gap last year, and we added Tavares this year.

@DominicBoltsFan will be nowhere to be seen when Gourde comes nowhere even close to his totals last year.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
@DominicBoltsFan will be nowhere to be seen when Gourde comes nowhere even close to his totals last year.
I would trade Gourde for Marner in a heartbeat but mostly due to age and contract situation, atm they are comparable as players imo. I could see Gourde falling way short of his numbers, in fact I only expect about 55 points from him or maybe less. His all around game kills Marner though, but Marner should pass his level in due time. As for Point, Tavares is better than Point, but again due to age and contract, I would not trade Point for Tavares.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I would trade Gourde for Marner in a heartbeat but mostly due to age and contract situation, atm they are comparable as players imo. I could see Gourde falling way short of his numbers, in fact I only expect about 55 points from him or maybe less. His all around game kills Marner though, but Marner should pass his level in due time. As for Point, Tavares is better than Point, but again due to age and contract, I would not trade Point for Tavares.

Lol sure, we'll come back to this half-way through next year and see what it looks like. I don't have a problem with how highly regarded Point is in this thread because he's a pretty damn good player but Yanni Gourde will never be shooting 18.4% ever again. His year was largely similar to Kadri's '12-'13 season where he scored 44 points in 48 games and hasn't seen that PPG range ever since.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
On RW:

Kucherov Johnson Callahan Erne

Vs

Marner Nylander Kapanen Brown

I'm taking the Leafs, who wouldn't?

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
Individually, player to player, I feel like Tampa has the better group.

But down the middle I like what Toronto has on each of the top 3 lines more, which is hugely important.

I don’t really care to get involved in this measuring contest. If I had to vote, I’d take Tampa, but it’s close. Winnipeg is right there too. Washington and Pittsburgh as well.

Reactions: Garthinater

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Winnipeg is below Toronto and Tampa for sure.

If we're going to count defensive ability in rankings of forwards, they're first. They have a top 5 offense and their forwards are better defensively than TO's or Tampas. If we're going solely by offense, probably around 4th or 5th right now., but that will change soon enough.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

What makes them comparable at the moment?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad