Friedman: Lightning clearing space for Guentzel

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Right, because the quote in question was about how the owner wanted to build his hockey team.

I would personally prefer the 10 winning seasons, because I like going to games as an activity with friends/family, and that's much more fun when the team is good.

But I also recognize this is not close to the majority opinion here.
thank you for an honest answer

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I'm not sure why so many are bitter and/or angry with Carolina's approach. They've got a system that's working much better than their previous strategy. They want to be competitive for the long term. They gave "going all in" a shot this year and the bounces (okay untimely bad goaltending too) didn't go their way. Next year, most Canes fans would say that we hope to be competitive again, get into the playoffs, and have another shot at winning the Cup.

Maybe it's the collaborative management style that gives those with the expertise significant say so in the player decisions. Maybe it's assigning value to players and rarely deviating from that value. Maybe it's weighting analytics heavily (but not exclusively) in player evaluation. Or maybe it's just jealousy that Carolina has been pretty successful by taking a unique, non-traditional approach. That sure does seem to chap the asses of the hockey old guard.

Either way, I don't really care because I support a winning team that's made the playoffs and won at least 1 playoff round every year for the last 6 seasons. Sure we've gotten swept in a couple of ECFs, but at least we made it there. That's an enviable record by anybody's standards. Chances are good we'll be there again next season....having yet another shot at the Cup.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Mhmm, Im sure second round exits are just what the management and ownership wanted!

Glad Carolina fans are happy with their product - that must count for something, huh
What team are you a fan of again? NJ? How much fun did you have watching them in the playoffs last year? How about the year before was it fun watching them not even compete with the Canes in the 2nd round?

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
What is their DCore looking like?

Hedman - Cernak
Moser - Perbix
McDonaugh - Raddysh?
Good guess

Hedman-Raddysh
McDonagh-Cernak
Moser-Perbix

Moser has experience playing the right side, so he'll likely get plenty of situational minutes next to Hedman. Works out very well

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Ill be sure to ask Carolina fans how much they liked their run from 2019-2029 far down the line; im sure itll be full of rave reviews like 'id rather have contended forever than won a Cup!'
Most of us would say yes I would rather my team be in contention year in year out, make deep playoff runs every year instead of win it once and then disappear for a decade.

Since you have been trolling our board for a few days you know this because we have told you so. Go back to your board and keep hoping the Devils can eek out a playoff spot next year.

Reactions: Chrispy

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
We are talking too different things here.

Would you trade 10 winning seasons for One cup followed by 9 losing seasons?

Yes or no

We are indeed talking two different things, because the extremes of this hypothetical involve guarantees of winning/not winnings Cups that don’t exist in reality.

The “Dundon” approach isn’t “I’d rather be a good team that doesn’t win a Stanley Cup than win a Stanley Cup one year and be bad for 9.”

The approach is “being consistently good leads to a better chance of winning a Cup/Cups than going all in a few times and damaging your future chances.”

Agree or disagree with the approach all you want, but the notion isn’t that he doesn’t care about winning a Cup, it’s explicitly that the organization thinks this is what gives a team the best chance to do exactly that.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I had a feeling this might be a Tampa move after trading Sergachev. He’d be a good Stamkos replacement (better at ES but worse on the PP)

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
I'm not sure why so many are bitter and/or angry with Carolina's approach. They've got a system that's working much better than their previous strategy. They want to be competitive for the long term. They gave "going all in" a shot this year and the bounces (okay untimely bad goaltending too) didn't go their way. Next year, most Canes fans would say that we hope to be competitive again, get into the playoffs, and have another shot at winning the Cup.

Maybe it's the collaborative management style that gives those with the expertise significant say so in the player decisions. Maybe it's assigning value to players and rarely deviating from that value. Maybe it's weighting analytics heavily (but not exclusively) in player evaluation. Or maybe it's just jealousy that Carolina has been pretty successful by taking a unique, non-traditional approach. That sure does seem to chap the asses of the hockey old guard.

Either way, I don't really care because I support a winning team that's made the playoffs and won at least 1 playoff round every year for the last 6 seasons. Sure we've gotten swept in a couple of ECFs, but at least we made it there. That's an enviable record by anybody's standards. Chances are good we'll be there again next season....having yet another shot at the Cup.
Carolina builds from within and aquires depth through thoughtful trades and budget FA signings. TBH Kakko would fit in perfectly over there. He doesn't make much, won't cost much in a trade plays a solid defensive game that Brindamour has set up. If it doesn't work out he can be moved at the deadline, or allowed to walk.

They have a put into place a system that works for them.

Reactions: NotOpie

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
A roster with these players can definitely compete for a cup again:

Hedman
Kucherov
Point
Stamkos
Vasilevskiy
Guentzel
Hagel
Cernak
Cirelli
McDonagh
Problem is, so much Cap is tied up with these ten players that you are filling out the rest of your roster with low contract NHL castoffs and players who should be in the AHL. Your core group is exhausted by April from having to play so much due to the lack of competent contribution from the bottom of your lineup.
In other words, the last two seasons of Lightning hockey all over again.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
How do you assess it ? Is it acceptable ? Looks much weaker than it used to be
If they win a round in the playoffs or not. WE couldnt pay 3ld essentially 7+ million a piece.
Sergachev was never going to get PP1 time and 1LD minutes with Hedman playing. He never took a step forward defensively. He has great offensive, makes some good plays on defense, and continues to make bad defensive plays still. Mosser is top 6 defenseman and may look better on the Lightning for cheap. The lightning were trying to get out of one of the big three contracts in Cernak,Cirelli, and Sergachev considering none of them took a big step forward after being given a big raise.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
I'd say Cernak would be doubtful now.
If they are going after Guentzel and have a chance to sign Stamkos, they are going to need to make some more Cap Space to sign a minimum roster of competent support for the core contracts. That may well mean either Cernak or Cirelli has to go. If they are not going to take a shot at bringing Stamkos back, they are OK Cap Space wise.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
If they are going after Guentzel and have a chance to sign Stamkos, they are going to need to make some more Cap Space to sign a minimum roster of competent support for the core contracts. That may well mean either Cernak or Cirelli has to go. If they are not going to take a shot at bringing Stamkos back, they are OK Cap Space wise.
Right, but you also have to replace Cernak, and losing him and Sergachev in the same offseason seems like a lot, even with McDonagh back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad