Friedman: Lightning clearing space for Guentzel

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
I don't think a Devils fan can talk about a loser mentality while underachieving with a good roster. Dundon has said something like that before, and it's not a loser mentality. Being consistently good is more impressive than winning a cup and sucking for the next 10 years.
Ill be sure to ask Carolina fans how much they liked their run from 2019-2029 far down the line; im sure itll be full of rave reviews like 'id rather have contended forever than won a Cup!'

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
I don't think a Devils fan can talk about a loser mentality while underachieving with a good roster. Dundon has said something like that before, and it's not a loser mentality. Being consistently good is more impressive than winning a cup and sucking for the next 10 years.
What? No. Put up a poll. One cup and 9 losing seasons or 10 winning seasons and no cup.

I bet it's 90% or higher pro win the cup.

Do it.

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
He wants a team that will be competitive for a decade and have a shot at the cup every year as opposed to a team that blows their load for one or two cracks at it and probably still doesn’t win it.
So he wants his cake and to eat it too?

So a typically-greedy approach from a cheap man and a 'group-think' management that told GMs dont interview because we wont let you
Make decisions or even hire you

But hey - the second round is a cool consolation prize I suppose?

I doubt most Canes fans are okay with this - and if they are, well then... thats awesome, I guess? Id prefer to win a Cup

Reactions: T REX

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Tampa is not a Guentzel away from competing for a cup again.
They actually are a contender with Guentzel.

They only didn't do as well last year due to Vasilevsky being injured at the start and not being on his game for the rest of the season. A healthy Vasi easily makes them a top team again.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
So he wants his cake and to eat it too?

So a typically-greedy approach from a cheap man and a 'group-think' management that told GMs dont interview because we wont let you
Make decisions or even hire you

But hey - the second round is a cool consolation prize I suppose?

I doubt most Canes fans are okay with this - and if they are, well then... thats awesome, I guess? Id prefer to win a Cup
I must have missed the Rangers and Toronto winning more than 1 cup combined since expansion with those rich owners willing to spend lots of money on players.

Finlandia WOAT

No blocks, No slappers
May 23, 2010
If the owner actually sad that (I didnt see it) then Im glad they arent getting any closer to a title lmfao

What an actual loser mentality, holy shit - I had no idea it was that rotten over there

I don't want to look up the exact quote, but what he was saying was he wanted to be a consistently successful team, not one that is successful for a year or two and then falls off. Hence the hoarding of long term cap flexibility and prospects/picks.

newsportsfan123

Dec 16, 2019
I must have missed the Rangers and Toronto winning more than 1 cup combined since expansion with those rich owners willing to spend lots of money on players.
The guy is pretty brain dead, no offense. Rich owners own teams that also suck for decades. The top-3 richest teams in the league have 0 cups in the last two decades. Furthermore, I wouldn't mind if Carolina made the playoffs for 25 straight seasons and had 0 cup wins, I would hope that they would have a finals appearance, but if they didn't win a cup I wouldn't be angry.

• Haha

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
I don't think they should spend a lionshare of what little money they have on two dudes.

There are other holes to fill.
Right now they have 2x glaring holes in their top 6. That's their biggest need, followed by another depth defenseman.

Finlandia WOAT

No blocks, No slappers
May 23, 2010
What? No. Put up a poll. One cup and 9 losing seasons or 10 winning seasons and no cup.

I bet it's 90% or higher pro win the cup.

Do it.
First of all, Guentzel was on the team last playoffs, and that sure didn't change getting beat by a better team in the 2nd/3rd round.

Second of all, in the real world you can't guarantee a cup, you can only maximize your chances. Moneypuck last playoffs put the highest odds of winning the cup at the Rags with ~13%.

But most teams don't burn down the house and use the fire to stay warm for a night. So lets say there's hypothetical team that sells *everything*, completely mortgages all futures to build a super team that will tear through the playoffs, and then everyone goes their separate ways. They get to 25% odds to win the Cup.

On the other hand, lets say a team takes the Dundon approach, and has ten years where they have merely a 5% chance to win the Cup (for the record, Moneypuck put the Panthers' chances of winning this year at 3% going in. Hot goalies are great.)

The formula for figuring out the chance of something happening at least once within a set number of opportunities is: 1 minus ((1 minus [the chance of that thing happening once])^[number of opportunities])

So in ten years at 5% each year, that's 1-((1-.05)^10)= 40.012, so 40% chance.

My point is, sure, most people would agree that 1 Cup and a long time of darkness is better than successful regular seasons and no Cups. Most Canes fans would agree becauase that actually happened to them!

But that's something you can only attest after the fact, you can't actually build a team that way.

And my point isn't that Tom Dundon is some super genius playing Chinese checkers while everyone else is playing go fish, it's simply that there is a logic to it, because winning a Cup is hard and there's no way to guarantee it. Certainly not in retaining a guy who was part of a team that got buzzsawed in the 2nd round because the PP went dormant, again.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
Habs fans are still obsessed with Carolina and kotkaniemi, just let it go man. Enjoy demidov while you can, Carolina might decide to steal another one of your lottery picks.
Lol. You can't let a comment slide. Tell me who is obsessed.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
First of all, Guentzel was on the team last playoffs, and that sure didn't change getting beat by a better team in the 2nd/3rd round.

Second of all, in the real world you can't guarantee a cup, you can only maximize your chances. Moneypuck last playoffs put the highest odds of winning the cup at the Rags with ~13%.

But most teams don't burn down the house and use the fire to stay warm for a night. So lets say there's hypothetical team that sells *everything*, completely mortgages all futures to build a super team that will tear through the playoffs, and then everyone goes their separate ways. They get to 25% odds to win the Cup.

On the other hand, lets say a team takes the Dundon approach, and has ten years where they have merely a 5% chance to win the Cup (for the record, Moneypuck put the Panthers' chances of winning this year at 3% going in. Hot goalies are great.)

The formula for figuring out the chance of something happening at least once within a set number of opportunities is: 1 minus ((1 minus [the chance of that thing happening once])^[number of opportunities])

So in ten years at 5% each year, that's 1-((1-.05)^10)= 40.012, so 40% chance.

My point is, sure, most people would agree that 1 Cup and a long time of darkness is better than successful regular seasons and no Cups. Most Canes fans would agree becauase that actually happened to them!

But that's something you can only attest after the fact, you can't actually build a team that way.

And my point isn't that Tom Dundon is some super genius playing Chinese checkers while everyone else is playing go fish, it's simply that there is a logic to it, because winning a Cup is hard and there's no way to guarantee it. Certainly not in retaining a guy who was part of a team that got buzzsawed in the 2nd round because the PP went dormant, again.
We are talking too different things here.

Would you trade 10 winning seasons for One cup followed by 9 losing seasons?

Yes or no

Finlandia WOAT

No blocks, No slappers
May 23, 2010
We are talking too different things here.
Right, because the quote in question was about how the owner wanted to build his hockey team.

Would you trade 10 winning seasons for One cup followed by 9 losing seasons?

Yes or no

I would personally prefer the 10 winning seasons, because I like going to games as an activity with friends/family, and that's much more fun when the team is good.

But I also recognize this is not close to the majority opinion here.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Wait, they traded Sergachev not to save their captain but to acquire Guentzel ?

Yikes
Guentzel would be a better add. So that makes sense

Right, because the quote in question was about how the owner wanted to build his hockey team.

I would personally prefer the 10 winning seasons, because I like going to games as an activity with friends/family, and that's much more fun when the team is good.

But I also recognize this is not close to the majority opinion here.
Agreed. 10 years of at least meaningful games brings much more entertainment and value.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
So no Pesce, no Teuvo, no Necas and NO GUENTZEL???

Overpay the guy, Dundon! You can't let him go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad