Friedman: Lightning clearing space for Guentzel

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
every team has contracts that age poorly toward the end; thats just how it works as a contender

Carolina wants to keep all its prospects, cap space, and then bargain bin shops for replacements

Id say cheap owner but i think its moreso a management group that thinks they know better than everyone when - in reality - the team is slowly getting worse since the 2021-2022 roster
Funny, it didn’t feel worse watching them. I haven’t agreed with every move but it’s hard to argue with the success. Seeing the negatively from other fans is honestly fun, we used to just be off the radar and now we’re one of the more successful teams in the league. Of course I want them to win the cup, but after missing the playoffs for a decade I’m fine with making the playoffs every year and having the same shot just about everyone else has to win it all.

Sorry if the Canes management kicked your dog or never called back that person you're close to after that crazy first date. As a fan I haven’t had much to complain about the last six years. We’ll survive the loss of Jake if that happens. We obviously did what we needed to for him to sign, he just wants to play somewhere else more. It’s his right.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Seems the Hurricanes must really have players hate living there because they retain exactly two players every 3-5 years lol

That's not entirely it. That's sometimes the case, and it might be the case for Guentzel. It was for Trocheck, apparently (Canes offer was competitive to New York's and market value). But the Canes never put themselves in a situation to drastically over-pay for players above market value, and are totally fine with creative destruction if they need to.

newsportsfan123

Dec 16, 2019
Seems the Hurricanes must really have players hate living there because they retain exactly two players every 3-5 years lol
They retain core players to long-term contracts not players that can be replaceable. Aho, Svechnikov, Slavin, Kochetkov, and Jarvis will all be 4lifers. You can't force players to stay with you at the end of the day. Players that hit the open market often go to Florida because of the low tax, so other teams are at an instant disadvantage.

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
So every player Carolina inevitably lets go doesnt want to live there?
You hear that, Calgary fans? You can now cope and say that your team let them go. It wasn't the players that didn't want to extend with your team. Mental gymnastics are funny.

newsportsfan123

Dec 16, 2019
A roster with these players can definitely compete for a cup again:

Hedman
Kucherov
Point
Stamkos
Vasilevskiy
Guentzel
Hagel
Cernak
Cirelli
McDonagh
A 36 year old McDonagh does nothing for Tampa, Hedman has had his two worst defensive seasons in two straight years, Cirelli has barely been above average defensively in the last two years, Cernak bounced back, but I'll agree the other players are good offensively.

Stats courtesy of evolving-hockey

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
Funny, it didn’t feel worse watching them. I haven’t agreed with every move but it’s hard to argue with the success. Seeing the negatively from other fans is honestly fun, we used to just be off the radar and now we’re one of the more successful teams in the league. Of course I want them to win the cup, but after missing the playoffs for a decade I’m fine with making the playoffs every year and having the same shot just about everyone else has to win it all.

Sorry if the Canes management kicked your dog or never called back that person you're close to after that crazy first date. As a fan I haven’t had much to complain about the last six years. We’ll survive the loss of Jake if that happens. We obviously did what we needed to for him to sign, he just wants to play somewhere else more. It’s his right.
Mhmm, Im sure second round exits are just what the management and ownership wanted!

Glad Carolina fans are happy with their product - that must count for something, huh

newsportsfan123

Dec 16, 2019

People don't realize Carolina is one of the best teams at replacing players, they did it with Dougie Hamilton, I'm pretty sure they can soften the blow if they lose Guentzel too.

Mhmm, Im sure second round exits are just what the management and ownership wanted!

Glad Carolina fans are happy with their product - that must count for something, huh
The ownership is definitely happy. Dundon has said that he prefers long-term success over winning a cup and bouncing to the gutter. Also, fans that have been fans of the team for awhile are definitely happy because we missed the playoffs for like nearly a decade.

Reactions: bleedgreen

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
People don't realize Carolina is one of the best teams at replacing players, they did it with Dougie Hamilton, I'm pretty sure they can soften the blow if they lose Guentzel too.

The ownership is definitely happy. Dundon has said that he prefers long-term success over winning a cup and bouncing to the gutter.
If the owner actually sad that (I didnt see it) then Im glad they arent getting any closer to a title lmfao

What an actual loser mentality, holy shit - I had no idea it was that rotten over there

newsportsfan123

Dec 16, 2019
If the owner actually sad that (I didnt see it) then Im glad they arent getting any closer to a title lmfao

What an actual loser mentality, holy shit - I had no idea it was that rotten over there
I don't think a Devils fan can talk about a loser mentality while underachieving with a good roster. Dundon has said something like that before, and it's not a loser mentality. Being consistently good is more impressive than winning a cup and sucking for the next 10 years.

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia

He wants a team that will be competitive for a decade and have a shot at the cup every year as opposed to a team that blows their load for one or two cracks at it and probably still doesn’t win it.

• Haha
Reactions: T REX
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad