Better All-Time: Jaromir Jagr Or Dominik Hasek?

Better All-Time Player?

• Total voters

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Jagr's longevity is overstated.

Yes, Hasek came into the league much later. His NHL Career started in his late 20s yet he was at or near the top of his position just as long as Jagr was. Hasek's post 30 career is when he was virtually all his major awards that it offsets Jagr starting earlier (also didn't add as much to his career post 30 in comparison)

I'd also say he dominated his competition to a greater degree than Jagr did.

Last edited:

Duffy13

‎(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ ┻━┻
Feb 16, 2013
PEI, Canada
Hasek is the single weirdest player in NHL History, He is not a trailblazer... just hear me out

Roy changed the game, his style of play influenced generations of players to this day, the butterfly was his gift to the game.

Brodeur, again his style of play not only influenced other young goalies to handle the puck and attempt nutty flailing saves, but also created a Rule change to limit this offense style of goaltender.

Hasek...... was just so good, and his style so unique, and just so damn unbeatable that NO-ONE since has every been able to even remotely replicate the performance he was able to put on night after night. There is nothing that Hasek has passed down to the next generations of goaltenders because he is unreplicatable... yes I just made up a word for it. Trailblazers create a path for others... Hasek didn't create a path, he built a wall.

Edit: Roy and his Goalie Coach François Allaire took the Butterfly and improved it and it was refered to as the ProFly style, others did it as well. Just like other goalies would help the offense and pass the puck up, but Brodeur was the guy who is considered the best at it they changed the rules.

Last edited:

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Hasek is the single weirdest player in NHL History, He is not a trailblazer... just hear me out

Roy changed the game, his style of play influenced generations of players to this day, the butterfly was his gift to the game.

Brodeur, again his style of play not only influenced other young goalies to handle the puck and attempt nutty flailing saves, but also created a Rule change to limit this offense style of goaltender.

Hasek...... was just so good, and his style so unique, and just so damn unbeatable that NO-ONE since has every been able to even remotely replicate the performance he was able to put on night after night. There is nothing that Hasek has passed down to the next generations of goaltenders because he is unreplicatable... yes I just made up a word for it. Trailblazers create a path for others... Hasek didn't create a path, he built a wall.
Several players before Roy used the butterfly, as part of their style.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
If there is a goalie in his peak that can say he looked and rightfully got the accolades as a superstar game changer, it's Hasek.

The man was an octopus. Seeing him rush out and crash players on a breakaway was always a treat too. Him sending Gaborik airborne and the arena staff thinking quick and playing "I believe I can fly" always cracks me up

Reactions: BlueSeal

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
Glenn Hall did that, followed by Tony Esposito and Tretiak inspired folks to use it. Roy's goalie coach was one the first wave of inspired folks who trained folks and adapted their style in the 80s, but it's not really Roy's gift.

Reactions: Duffy13

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Right on, thanks for the comment in the back that vaguely references nothing
Glen Hall, Tony Esposito

Edit: It was Esposito, Tretiak and Roger Crozier who began to bring into vogue the butterfly style that greats such as Glenn Hall and Jacques Plante (though he later warned against it) had pioneered

There feel better

Killswitch

May 22, 2022
I can remember not feeling great about playing certain teams throughout the 80's and 90's. Oilers, Flames, Pittsburgh, Philly, and Buffalo. Gretzky, Lemieux, and Hasek were the players. Flames and Philly because they punished other teams during their respective peaks, especially with the legion of doom. Jagr was more someone like Draisatl today when Lemieux played. Not the guy you focused on but could still hurt you.

Reactions: DitchMarner

DitchMarner

TheGlitchintheSwitch
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
I can remember not feeling great about playing certain teams throughout the 80's and 90's. Oilers, Flames, Pittsburgh, Philly, and Buffalo. Gretzky, Lemieux, and Hasek were the players. Flames and Philly because they punished other teams during their respective peaks, especially with the legion of doom. Jagr was more someone like Draisatl today when Lemieux played. Not the guy you focused on but could still hurt you.

Oh, I hated the Sabres and Hasek circa '99. He was so good, it was frustrating.

Duffy13

‎(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ ┻━┻
Feb 16, 2013
PEI, Canada
Glen Hall, Tony Esposito

Edit: It was Esposito, Tretiak and Roger Crozier who began to bring into vogue the butterfly style that greats such as Glenn Hall and Jacques Plante (though he later warned against it) had pioneered

There feel better
if you read a bit further it also says:

The modern profly derivative was made most popular by Patrick Roy and is the style most commonly used and taught. The profly style is a specialized progression of the butterfly style. The name derives from a goaltending leg pad model designed specifically for the use of the butterfly. The term eventually evolved into a style for goaltenders who tend to use the butterfly save technique as a base for the majority of their save selections.

So sure Roy passed on the Profly style specifically which was an improvement over the butterfly.

Brodeur wasn't the first goalie to help the offense, but he was the guy who was so good at it they made a rule because of it because others were starting to copy it.

None of this takes away the fact that Hasek passed nothing on, because no-one has been able to replicate anything he did... what do you call that anyways lol? Even lightning will strike the same place twice.... yet no other type of Hasek. Call it crazy I guess.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
if you read a bit further it also says:

The modern profly derivative was made most popular by Patrick Roy and is the style most commonly used and taught. The profly style is a specialized progression of the butterfly style. The name derives from a goaltending leg pad model designed specifically for the use of the butterfly. The term eventually evolved into a style for goaltenders who tend to use the butterfly save technique as a base for the majority of their save selections.

So sure Roy passed on the Profly style specifically which was an improvement over the butterfly.

Brodeur wasn't the first goalie to help the offense, but he was the guy who was so good at it they made a rule because of it because others were starting to copy it.

None of this takes away the fact that Hasek passed nothing on, because no-one has been able to replicate anything he did... what do you call that anyways lol? Even lightning will strike the same place twice.... yet no other type of Hasek. Call it crazy I guess.
Just pointing out Roy didn’t invent the butterfly, nothing more.

Reactions: Duffy13

Duffy13

‎(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ ┻━┻
Feb 16, 2013
PEI, Canada
Glenn Hall did that, followed by Tony Esposito and Tretiak inspired folks to use it. Roy's goalie coach was one the first wave of inspired folks who trained folks and adapted their style in the 80s, but it's not really Roy's gift.
ok granted, Roy did not invent the butterfly, he made it the best style with help from his coach Allaire to replicate and it was called ProFly style.... NOBODY says, oh Fleury, Quick, Richter's style is reminiscent of Hall or Esposito... Every butterfly goalie today is referred back to Roy or Brodeur.... nobody is referred to as a Hasak because he is the only one unfortunately.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
ok granted, Roy did not invent the butterfly, he made it the best style with help from his coach Allaire to replicate and it was called ProFly style.... NOBODY says, oh Fleury, Quick, Richter's style is reminiscent of Hall or Esposito... Every butterfly goalie today is referred back to Roy or Brodeur.... nobody is referred to as a Hasak because he is the only one unfortunately.
Kochetkov reminds me a bit of Hasek. Well see how he develops.

But I don't feel Brodeur falls into the butterfly category. He was a unique hybrid who still used more standup

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005

Edit: Roy and his Goalie Coach François Allaire took the Butterfly and improved it and it was refered to as the ProFly style, others did it as well. Just like other goalies would help the offense and pass the puck up, but Brodeur was the guy who is considered the best at it they changed the rules.
He built a wall about a foot high. He rightfully figured out that the vast majority of shots didn't get off the ice much. That's not the case any more. Most 4th line jobbers can roof it with the current sticks. Committing hard to block everything down low would just be countered with wait and shoot high. Very much a style of the times.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Though composite sticks became common while Hašek was still active and didn't really hurt him.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
He built a wall about a foot high. He rightfully figured out that the vast majority of shots didn't get off the ice much. That's not the case any more. Most 4th line jobbers can roof it with the current sticks. Committing hard to block everything down low would just be countered with wait and shoot high. Very much a style of the times.
Shots didn’t get off the ice much lol
Ya early 60s and before, even then the wrist shot allowed you to raise it.
soon as Stan Mikita, with some help by Bobby Hull to invent curve sticks,
Players have been roofing it.
If beer leaguers could roof it with curved sticks, you think NHL players couldn’t raise the puck in the 90’s.

Reactions: Crow

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad