NESN Judd Sirott named new voice of the Bruins

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
don't worry, I think I've done enough damage.

congratulations to Judd Sirott. a good memory for me is when I listened to his call of a Bruins-at-Flyers game while at a beach in Falmouth. that was in January 2019, time flies.

I have to ask, what were you doing at a beach in Falmouth in January? I thought I was the only one who went to the beach on the Cape in the middle of winter (and I only did that in my 20's).

and where did he come to national prominence first..... if it wasn't for Doc.... you don't have PRISM New England now NBC Sports Boston.... Portland.... if the Flyers don't come here in 1977 who'd be Boston's ECHL Affiliate right now..... nevermind Providence as it's constituted doesn't exist the last 22 years....
:huh:

Reactions: Gordoff

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
It's television, so you can let the pictures do the talking a little bit.

"It would not go" can be one of two things. First, there's a LOT happening and you need an economy of words to stay on top of the play and not get behind (and again, it's TV, so you're providing the captions to the pictures as opposed to painting the picture). The second is, the puck sometimes gets lost in a maze of bodies in front and you miss whether it was saved or hit the post or possibly hit a body in front, so that's a way of describing the play when you're not 100% sure what happens. As a PXP broadcaster, I've occasionally relied on a generic call along the lines of "it did not go," such as "it stays out" if I can't get a clear angle on what actually happened because I was screened by a player or the puck was pinballing around in a maze of bodies in front. In either case, it's a means of being professional and *not* giving your viewers/listeners incorrect info.

I'll say this about Doc, who I've met and corresponded with a few times. There is nothing about him that's lazy. He's extremely meticulous and chooses his words carefully, and his preparation for a broadcast is legendary.

But back to the original point, Judd has his own style. We all have our own influences, and a *lot* of broadcasters are influenced - either directly or indirectly - by Doc. We often borrow something from those influences - either consciously or not - but I've always enjoyed Judd's way of calling a game. It's easy to listen to and he works very well with Bob Beers. Andy Brickley is excellent, and with TV being more of an analyst's medium, they'll develop really good chemistry.
Excellent post, and I agree mostly. But Doc did use "would not go" on a regular basis, as in many, many times per game. He also did a lot of yakking over the play which most of them do now. I'm old school; when the puck is dropped, call the play.

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
Sirott will be very good

Brickley will be better with him
I hope Brickley is better, he repeats the same narrative over and over.

Should have replaced him as well. His love affair with certain players is obnoxious and he is predictable before he says a word.

I do love the Sirott choice

Reactions: Gordoff

jimmccabe40

May 3, 2024
I have to ask, what were you doing at a beach in Falmouth in January? I thought I was the only one who went to the beach on the Cape in the middle of winter (and I only did that in my 20's).

:huh:
I was broadcasting hockey on the Cape that night and instead of driving home to RI right away like usual, to do my overnight news job, I decided to scan headlines from somewhere scenic. I love the Cape, a lot.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Congrats to Judd on being named Bruins voice.What an honor to get that job.
I hope Brickley is better, he repeats the same narrative over and over.

Should have replaced him as well. His love affair with certain players is obnoxious and he is predictable before he says a word.

I do love the Sirott choice
Brick knows the game come on now.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN

As someone who grew up with the old IHL (where I covered Bruce Cassidy as a player *and* a coach back in my previous life as a print reporter and got to know him fairly well), I love that Judd & Brick referenced that in their intro video. The IHL was a great league and that brought back some very fond memories.

Many, many years ago, I was a college reporter doing a newspaper piece on the IHL co-existing with NHL teams in Chicago and Detroit. Judd was really young and with the Chicago Wolves at the time. He not only returned my call, but we had a great conversation about how the Wolves were creating a niche in an NHL market. Have always thought very highly of him since.

RustyBruins72

Jul 29, 2005
So this was the Bruins radio guy last season?

If so, I always thought he sounds like Kevin Dunn the actor. It was driving me crazy one game and then I watched Transformers. BINGO. I can't un-hear it now. LOL.

I think he's solid and love his call. I think he'll be great with Brick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad