Best Ways to View the Kings on TV

randallh

Jul 10, 2011
Los Angeles
What’s the best vpn? Between Disney+ for the kids and hbomax I’m not trying to spend an additional 100 bucks just to see the Kings and have the History channel.

I did the DirecTV stream. It's $90.51/month including tax and they have a 90 day trial of HBO MAX, Showtime, Cinemax and EPIX. I figure I'll keep the service for the Kings and Laker's season then go back to HULU live TV. I have HBO MAX separately for $15/mo which I cancelled immediately (and will keep off for 90 days during that free trial). And I do get History channel. It's basically $75/mo. I have Surfshark VPN and was having trouble with VPN and ESPN+ for some reason. Even NHL.tv was hit or miss with Surfshark last year.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I was all for ESPN+ but last night's game was blacked out for me so I am glad that I don't pay for it directly as it just comes with my phone's service... I am tempted to get a VPN for it, which I still might, but right now I am just getting it from typical 3rd party streams. I've always said that I'd happily pay $1-200 bucks per season for a solid quality official stream, but any and all available have a 60%+ blackout rate which is unacceptable. If I am paying that then I want all of the games, period.

I've used Unlocator in the past with the old NHL app and it worked perfectly. I bought a NordVPN 3 year subscription about two years ago and used that with no problem. I have no experience with the new service the NHL is using but I remember when they switched to NHL tv from Gamecenter and people were saying they were more sophisticated at blocking VPN's but I never had a problem. I've been using alternative streaming services on Fire TV for about 5 years now and stopped buying the NHL package as of last year.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
All of that seems too much trouble. I just want to click on the channel and watch the game. I'm willing to pay for it as well...but no option except for a TV provider that I don't want / can't get.

So for me, I guess it's still just reading about the action in the GDT as it's posted from you all....and watching some highlights afterward. Sad :(

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
All of that seems too much trouble. I just want to click on the channel and watch the game. I'm willing to pay for it as well...but no option except for a TV provider that I don't want / can't get.

So for me, I guess it's still just reading about the action in the GDT as it's posted from you all....and watching some highlights afterward. Sad :(

There are a couple of very reliable sites that you can visit to stream on your phone or computer that don't require much more than clicking your mouse. One was already mentioned in this thread.

Using NordVPN, I'm watching last night's Kings game right now on my my computer on a browser on ESPN+. All I did was clear my browsing history and cookies on that browser, connect to a San Francisco server (in honor of those loser Giants) and re-log into ESPN.com. It said it was blocked out in my area and I just clicked the link again and it fired right up.

Yeah if you have a Fire TV device you just add the NordVPN app and then once you log into your account you can have it autoconnect whenever you turn on the Fire TV. Just be mindful that if you have it autoconnect to a server in SF, you'll need to switch it when the Kings play San Jose. The "grey" market apps I use look exactly like a cable or directv interface with a program guide and everything. You can even save your favorite channels to a favorites folder and it takes all of two clicks to find your channel.

I used to use an app a while back called hockey streams that got shutdown about 3 or 4 years ago. The thing that was crazy is their product was better than the NHL's at the time. You could watch games on demand and start games from the beginning that were already playing long before NHL did that. It was at that point that i stopped caring because if the NHL can't be bothered to make a better product than pirates then good riddance.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
I used to use an app a while back called hockey streams that got shutdown about 3 or 4 years ago. The thing that was crazy is their product was better than the NHL's at the time. You could watch games on demand and start games from the beginning that were already playing long before NHL did that. It was at that point that i stopped caring because if the NHL can't be bothered to make a better product than pirates then good riddance.

that's pretty much where i'm at

i don't know how far i can push this without getting banned here but there's still the site nhl66 mentioned on the 1st page and 2 apps that work, they have subreddits titled nhl_games and lazyman.. vlc 3.0 beta used to play nicely with chromecast but i can't speak for right now since i just watch it on my computer

Reactions: Sparky206

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
if anyone needs a list of uncouth sites to block at a router level - sites that might potentially cut into the bottom lines of the executives at these media conglomerates - please dm me. i would hate for some of you to accidentally navigate to these nefarious websites. ive already reported them to the fbi but you can never be too careful

wont somebody please think about the shareholders!

Schrute farms

Jul 7, 2020
For me, i have no interesting in watching games on my phone....not even my computer. Highlights on computer is fine., But watching a game live -- it's on my couch with my 65+ inch flat screen TVs or nothing. Hence -- currently nothing.

Reactions: KINGS17

Sparky206

Nov 13, 2019
For me, i have no interesting in watching games on my phone....not even my computer. Highlights on computer is fine., But watching a game live -- it's on my couch with my 65+ inch flat screen TVs or nothing. Hence -- currently nothing.
Amazingly in 2021, there are actually ways to get content from your computer screen to your TV and its probably less complicated than your TV remote.

But seriously 5 minutes on Google then reddit and you can have on demand access to any game in the last 10 years home and away feeds in 60fps HD. People are just lazy, everything you need to know is already mentioned in this thread alone.

The nhl broadcasting is a joke. I get all 1400 games on espn with my cable subscription but I still use alternative options because its a much better service.

Schrute farms

Jul 7, 2020
Amazingly in 2021, there are actually ways to get content from your computer screen to your TV and its probably less complicated than your TV remote.

But seriously 5 minutes on Google then reddit and you can have on demand access to any game in the last 10 years home and away feeds in 60fps HD. People are just lazy, everything you need to know is already mentioned in this thread alone.

You lost me at "reddit"
BTW, yes you described me and my TV viewing habits/ability perfectly with "People are just lazy"

You lost me at "reddit"
BTW, yes you described me and my TV viewing habits/ability perfectly with "People are just lazy"

I'm a full-fledged lazybones but I love hockey and I hate cable companies. You don't need to watch on your computer or even own one. You need a capable streaming device that is connected to your TV and ample internet speed. Fire TV is a good device because it's wide ranging and very easy to use. I don't know your age but at some point in your life you've used a VCR or DVD player, no? This isn't more of an adjustment than that. You can buy the NHL streaming package and be completely legit. The only extra step is buying a VPN subscription and using it on your device which is pretty simple. It requires little maintenance once you have it set up. My wife's mom who is 60+ years old no longer has cable and uses a Fire TV with little issue.

I'm happy to help you find an alternative to cable but I/we can't make that happen if you aren't willing to put in a little bit of effort.

Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

Schrute farms

Jul 7, 2020
I'm a full-fledged lazybones but I love hockey and I hate cable companies. You don't need to watch on your computer or even own one. You need a capable streaming device that is connected to your TV and ample internet speed. Fire TV is a good device because it's wide ranging and very easy to use. I don't know your age but at some point in your life you've used a VCR or DVD player, no? This isn't more of an adjustment than that. You can buy the NHL streaming package and be completely legit. The only extra step is buying a VPN subscription and using it on your device which is pretty simple. It requires little maintenance once you have it set up. My wife's mom who is 60+ years old no longer has cable and uses a Fire TV with little issue.

I'm happy to help you find an alternative to cable but I/we can't make that happen if you aren't willing to put in a little bit of effort.

I appreciate you and others comments and helping out. I'm 50 and relatively competent technology wise. I've been streaming TV for several years now using a Fire TV. Gone thru PS Vue, YouTube TV, Hulu Live....chasing the FSW channel as it leaves one after another. Now with all of them gone, I use the cheapest streaming option -- Sling. My internet speed is 200/200.
It's the whole VPN that i'm not familiar with and sounds so foreign/difficult. But if the Kings are going to actually be good this year, it may force me to end my foolish laziness and figure it out. I'm sure my teen-aged boys could help me, but they likely would do some wacky illegal thing that i'm simply not comfortable doing. Once i turned 30, i went 100% legit and thanked my lucky stars for surviving all my crazy young (mis)adventures lol.

If you or anyone else has any specifics or tips (especially if not comfortable saying on the thread), please send me a direct message. I truly appreciate it.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Once you set up your Streaming Stick it's not hard at all. I don't have any experience with this process on a Fire stick but I've been experimenting with a Google Chromecast and I've got it working. I have detailed instructions posted earlier in this thread. I've been 100% streaming since YouTube TV's inception so I know what you're going through. I'm the same age as you are except I am a tech professional. That being said VPN is easy to use. There are plenty of YouTube videos out there that can help you.

Reactions: Schrute farms

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Yep Google Chromecast + NordVPN and ESPN+ on the 65" OLED and home theater.

Attachments

• IMG_20211016_193314.jpg
    IMG_20211016_193314.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 10

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
looking into singing up for ESPN+....is there a way to DVR the games when watching on that type of platform?

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
looking into singing up for ESPN+....is there a way to DVR the games when watching on that type of platform?

I don't know, but the games are available on demand. I don't know how long they stay available though. Both Kings games are still available now but keep in mind that to watch those you've got to use VPN if you're in SoCal just as you would the live stream. The live streams also have DVR functionality.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
I don't know, but the games are available on demand. I don't know how long they stay available though. Both Kings games are still available now but keep in mind that to watch those you've got to use VPN if you're in SoCal just as you would the live stream. The live streams also have DVR functionality.

So wait, and sorry I haven't been following this thread, if I get the ESPN+ package to watch the game this Friday (as that's the only place it's being broadcast), I still have to have a VPN to watch because I'm in SO CA?

onlyalad

The bounce
Jan 13, 2008
So wait, and sorry I haven't been following this thread, if I get the ESPN+ package to watch the game this Friday (as that's the only place it's being broadcast), I still have to have a VPN to watch because I'm in SO CA?
The October 22 game all you (should) need is ESPN+
The Ducks game Saturday was viewable from SoCal with no VPN.

I appreciate you and others comments and helping out. I'm 50 and relatively competent technology wise. I've been streaming TV for several years now using a Fire TV. Gone thru PS Vue, YouTube TV, Hulu Live....chasing the FSW channel as it leaves one after another. Now with all of them gone, I use the cheapest streaming option -- Sling. My internet speed is 200/200.
It's the whole VPN that i'm not familiar with and sounds so foreign/difficult. But if the Kings are going to actually be good this year, it may force me to end my foolish laziness and figure it out. I'm sure my teen-aged boys could help me, but they likely would do some wacky illegal thing that i'm simply not comfortable doing. Once i turned 30, i went 100% legit and thanked my lucky stars for surviving all my crazy young (mis)adventures lol.

If you or anyone else has any specifics or tips (especially if not comfortable saying on the thread), please send me a direct message. I truly appreciate it.

I use NordVPN. Once you sign up for an account with them on their website, all you need to do is download the NordVPN app for your Fire TV. Once you have that just log into your account and then select a server. Search for a city not near LA. I typically use Phoenix or San Francisco. Under settings choose "autoconnect" and the VPN will always turn on when you turn on the Fire TV. Then just pay for the ESPN+ package and download that app. Disclaimer: I no longer pay for the NHL package so I can't confirm if there are any issues but I've seen someone else saying they are using NordVPN to bypass the blackouts. I've never had a problem on this front.

I got some other apps you can use but the content is not on the up and up. You'll get over 10,000 live TV channels, every UFC fight/boxing match and tons of VOD content for $20 a month. But I think you made it clear you want to be legit. If anyone else wants a suggestion feel free to send me a PM.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad