Pacioretty
Kucherov
Panarin
Hoffman
Neal

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
As a Pens fan, I honestly don't get Sid and Geno over Neal. They score more goals, but they score goals in a variety of ways.

Neal snipes. It's his thing.

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
As a Pens fan, I honestly don't get Sid and Geno over Neal. They score more goals, but they score goals in a variety of ways.

Neal snipes. It's his thing.
Totally agree. Scoring a lot of goals doesn't necessarily make you a sniper.

Blues88

Apr 27, 2009
St. Louis
This is based on skill, not resume. Hall Gill has more goals than Laine but I'm sure we all know who the better goal scorer is

Pretty specious argument since I specifically mentioned the exclusion of Seguin. Bump Patches out if you feel Laine has more skill than him, or Neal, or Kessel, but Seguin deserves to be there.

Or sniper, since this thread isn't even about goal scoring but just accuracy.

Laine is the most accurate shooter from far range I have ever seen. His heat map tells the whole story. Scary thing is, he is just 18. It will improve.

Trying to decouple skill from resume while adding accuracy in the mix is even more strange to me after 20 goals. Again, nothing against Laine. His shot selection is absolutely elite and he'll definitely improve at this rate.

What are our terms here? Accuracy, release, one timing, stationary shooting, in-stride, PP set up?

Kessel, Neal, Malkin...with the criteria put forth, they're all worth a mention.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
What are our terms here? Accuracy, release, one timing, stationary shooting, in-stride, PP set up?

It doesn't really matter. He's at the top on all of these. Some guys (mainly defensemen) in the league have harder slappers (but way more inaccurate). That's about where he has "rivals". Tarasenko has a long range wrister that is close to what Laine has, and that's it. He can't rival with onetimers.

In all aspects of shooting Laine really is the new benchmark. Eventually new guys will come and claim it from him but considering he is only 18 now, he's not getting worse at it.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
And I'm not looking at him from a 40 games, 20 goals perspective. I have seen a 100 games at least from him and some odd 70 goals in the process. People shoot the puck outside of the NHL too.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
IMO, Laine's big improvements will be made in skating. He needs to up the ante on his balance and speed. I do not watch much of the Jets but that was my opinion of him.

On another note, I would give an honourable mention to Panarin. His shot is lethal and may even challenge the final spot on this list.

He's skating will need to improve and it has. He's never going to be quick, but when he gets the time to motor he's fast!

Fully agreed with Panarin. He has a sniper gene in him.

My top-5

Ovechkin
Tarasenko
Laine
Panarin
Seguin

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Because top 5 is no fun

Ovechkin

Laine
Tarasenko
Stamkos
Seguin
Malkin

Crosby
Kane
Benn

Kessel
Carter
Pacioretty
Kucherov
Panarin
Hoffman
Neal

Good list. Probably would alot Panarin bit higher though.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
1. Stamkos
2. Ovechkin
3. Laine
4. Matthews (plz don't h8)
5. Tarasenko
6. Benn/Kane
7. Kucherov
8. Seguin
9. Panarin
10. Malkin/Tavares/Gaudreau/Forsberg/Drouin/Crosby/Kessel/Perry/Johnson/Karlsson (lol)/Pavelski/Hall/Neal/Hoffman/etc

not carter. please stop saying carter

off the top of my head

Last edited:

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Tarasenko and Laine are the top two long-distance wristers in the world. Honestly, Laine might be the best at it. OV still is the king when it comes to wrister from the slot or circle. Ovechkin and Laine are probably my two favorite one-timers from the upper circle.

Kessel has a lethal wrister too.

Blues88

Apr 27, 2009
St. Louis
It doesn't really matter. He's at the top on all of these. Some guys (mainly defensemen) in the league have harder slappers (but way more inaccurate). That's about where he has "rivals". Tarasenko has a long range wrister that is close to what Laine has, and that's it. He can't rival with onetimers.

In all aspects of shooting Laine really is the new benchmark. Eventually new guys will come and claim it from him but considering he is only 18 now, he's not getting worse at it.

If you truly believe he's the new benchmark, which I find completely premature if not totally absurd, provide some evidence past basic feeling. What leads you to believe he has a better one timer than Stamkos or Ovechkin? What about his wrist shot leads you to believe its harder or more accurate than Tarasenko or Seguin's? Some of the most absurd shots I've ever seen have come off the stick of Evgeni Malkin.

If you're going against conventional wisdom and a fair bit of consensus on the basis of, I'm sorry, ~40 games, throw some meat behind it if you wouldn't mind.

And I'm not looking at him from a 40 games, 20 goals perspective. I have seen a 100 games at least from him and some odd 70 goals in the process. People shoot the puck outside of the NHL too.

Thanks. I had no idea.

ChiefWiggum

Dec 17, 2016
Newfoundland
Some other honourable mentions for me o to Patrick Kane and Giroux. They will never be in this conversation because they lack the power or speed on their shots. But in terms of accuracy, both are great. Giroux has the ability to float a puck into the net.

As well, I guess we can throw Troy Terry in this conversation now:yo:

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
Tarasenko and Laine are the top two long-distance wristers in the world. Honestly, Laine might be the best at it. OV still is the king when it comes to wrister from the slot or circle. Ovechkin and Laine are probably my two favorite one-timers from the upper circle.

Kessel has a lethal wrister too.

I have been following Laine this year, I have been really impressed with his slapper and agree that it ranks up there with the Ovi but now he has both a top 5 slapshot and wrister how does he ever not score, I am big fan but I cannot believe he has the a top 2 wriser and top 2 slap shot

phxblue

Dec 17, 2015
Or sniper, since this thread isn't even about goal scoring but just accuracy.

Laine is the most accurate shooter from far range I have ever seen. His heat map tells the whole story. Scary thing is, he is just 18. It will improve.

I wonder how many kids will start shooting pucks at bottles everyday like he did?

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Wait, how did Crosby make it into this thread?

I'm sorry, Sid is the best of his time, but his shot isn't really his biggest asset or among the best.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
He's skating will need to improve and it has. He's never going to be quick, but when he gets the time to motor he's fast!

Fully agreed with Panarin. He has a sniper gene in him.

My top-5

Ovechkin
Tarasenko
Laine
Panarin
Seguin

I dont know about acceleration and all that stuff but i think he's rather quick allready, he caught Mackinnon on an defensive play, his top speed is high for sure. I bet he will even look quick once he puts on more muscle. He did look really quick in the WJC.

Im surprised noone has mentioned (that i have seen) Matthews to be a top sniper he seems to be really good at sniping too.has an wicked wrister.

From the games i have seen this season my top five would be.
1. Laine as i have seen him the most, not been as accurate as normal lately.
2. Matthews His snipes have been really nice
3. Rantanen. just a few goals but really nice snipes on those
4. Crosby Saw an Serious snipe or two by him
5. Tarasenko no comment needed.

Again this is an noob list judged by the games I have seen which is not many. and most of them are jets games.

Stopsight

Oct 9, 2013
Hawaii
Overchkin, Tarasenko, Stamkos, Seguin, Pacioretty

If you haven't broken 30 goals or played a full season, you are not on this list (Laine, Matthews, Kucherov, Panarin).

I also did not go for a couple really great goal scorers just because they don't score a lot from range (Pavelski, Crosby)

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
What about Crosby? Leads Nhl in goals and although has a million ways to score he's gotta have one of the worlds best shooting arsenal aswell, just not that flashy as the one timer prodigees listed here. Right?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,600.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,770.00