Best Snipers

ChiefWiggum

Dec 17, 2016
Newfoundland
Who are the top 5 snipers in the NHL in your opinion. By snipers, I do not mean goal scorers per say. I'm talking about the guys with the shooting accuracy that terrorize goalies. I'm talking about the pure snipers.

My list

1. Alex Ovechkin
2. Patrik Laine
3. Steven Stamkos'
4. Vladimir Tarasenko
5. Max Pacioretty

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
As a Sens fan I would add in Mike Hoffman if we are talking pure shooting ability, but I'm not going to try and get him into a top 5 list either. Top 10 probably. Not top 5.

Also, I'm not sure I agree with Patches being top 5. I don't even know if I would classify him as a sniper...

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Ovechkin, Laine, Stamkos and Tarasenko form the top 4. Who the fifth one is... I have no idea.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Brent Burns belongs on the list ;)

but seriously though, he puts shots on net like ovechkin and scores like a first line forward while operating from the blue line. literally sniper-like :P

Last edited:

TheAntiPrice

Oct 25, 2009
Montreal, QC
Do guys with great one-timers like Stamkos count as snipers? I always thought of snipers who score most of their goals by picking off corners with a wrist or a snap shot.

Blues88

Apr 27, 2009
St. Louis
Who are the top 5 snipers in the NHL in your opinion. By snipers, I do not mean goal scorers per say. I'm talking about the guys with the shooting accuracy that terrorize goalies. I'm talking about the pure snipers.

My list

1. Alex Ovechkin
2. Patrik Laine
3. Steven Stamkos'
4. Vladimir Tarasenko
5. Max Pacioretty

No offense to Laine, but based on your criteria, you're confident in saying he's top 5 after 20 goals over Seguin? What's the argument?

Or is this a literally at this moment in time question?

Care to elaborate?

Last edited:

AINEC*

AINEC
Jul 4, 2011
I agree with the top 4, 5th is where it gets tricky. Love that Laine is already right there at #2. Kid is a beast.

Akhurite

Feb 3, 2014
Toronto,ON
As a Sens fan I would add in Mike Hoffman if we are talking pure shooting ability, but I'm not going to try and get him into a top 5 list either. Top 10 probably. Not top 5.

Also, I'm not sure I agree with Patches being top 5. I don't even know if I would classify him as a sniper...

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
James Neal. Not great at creating chances for himself, but give him a little time and space and he can pick corners all day.

ChiefWiggum

Dec 17, 2016
Newfoundland
No offense to Laine, but based on your criteria, you're confident in saying he's top 5 after 20 goals over Seguin? What's the argument?

Or is this a literally at this moment in time question?

Care to elaborate?

This is based on skill, not resume. Hall Gill has more goals than Laine but I'm sure we all know who the better goal scorer is

Mike Hasselhoffman

Bell Centre Baywatch
Sep 17, 2011
1. Ovechkin
2. Tarasenko
3. Seguin
4. Stamkos
5. Laine
6. Pacioretty
7. Kucherov
8. Perry
9. Hoffman
10. Carter

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
Pacioretty doesn't snipe too often. He has an elite shot that he mainly just blows right by/through the goalie.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
This is based on skill, not resume. Hall Gill has more goals than Laine but I'm sure we all know who the better goal scorer is

Or sniper, since this thread isn't even about goal scoring but just accuracy.

Laine is the most accurate shooter from far range I have ever seen. His heat map tells the whole story. Scary thing is, he is just 18. It will improve.

ChiefWiggum

Dec 17, 2016
Newfoundland
Or sniper, since this thread isn't even about goal scoring but just accuracy.

Laine is the most accurate shooter from far range I have ever seen. His heat map tells the whole story. Scary thing is, he is just 18. It will improve.

IMO, Laine's big improvements will be made in skating. He needs to up the ante on his balance and speed. I do not watch much of the Jets but that was my opinion of him.

On another note, I would give an honourable mention to Panarin. His shot is lethal and may even challenge the final spot on this list.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad