Rumor: Benning shoots down current Tanev rumors; won't guarantee he won't be traded

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Frankie Blueberries

Dream Team
Jan 27, 2016
If Tanev put up more points you wouldn't be able to get him for Nylander.

This. If Tanev put up more points, he'd be in Norris contention. So this poster is basically saying "I wouldn't mind trading Nylander for Doughty/Subban/Karlsson/Keith/etc.". :laugh:

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
RNH for Tanev?

I don't think that's feasible from Benning's point of view. Benning covets guys who are some combination of physical, skates fast, and/or can rip the puck. Tanev is an exceptionally effective defensive dman, but he's none of those things.

I think Benning at least realizes this enough with Tanev that he won't trade him for a Brandon Sutter or a Erik Gudbranson, but if he could land more of a Nathan MacKinnon or a Jacob Trouba type he'd move Tanev+ without hesitation.

That's how I'm reading between the lines here at least. He's not looking to move Tanev like he was many other players (Lack/Kassian/Shinkaruk/McCann/etc), but at the same time he doesn't have the core skillset that Benning covets so there's no guarantee if something comes up.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I've never seen a more mediocre player generate more discussion around here than Tanev.

Uh, Chris Tanev is a high-end top-pairing shutdown defender and is right now the best player on the Vancouver Canucks.

He's a bit injury prone and doesn't play the PP so doesn't put up gaudy numbers, but the guy is an absolute stud. If Benning trades him he's even stupider than I thought, and I think Benning is really, really stupid.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
They weren't even trade rumours, they were just Botchford making idle speculation to fill his controversy quota for the dead summer months. Bad, nonsensical idle speculation even.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Shoots down trade rumors, but says he might be traded. Hokay.

No player is untradable or can be guaranteed to remain with their team without a nmc or NTC.

If an offer blows JB away, he makes the deal.

If some GM offered a deal that made sense involving the twins it would be JB's job to consider it and try to sell it to the twins to waive their NMC.

robes1

Jul 22, 2015
Unless a GM somewhere totally overpays for Tanev, the Canucks have no reason to trade him.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
No player is untradable or can be guaranteed to remain with their team without a nmc or NTC.

If an offer blows JB away, he makes the deal.

If some GM offered a deal that made sense involving the twins it would be JB's job to consider it and try to sell it to the twins to waive their NMC.

Fans on message boards say these things all the time, but when do real GM's actually make those types of offers? If Tanev or any highly valuable player is only obtainable if you overpay for them, then it's simply not worth making that deal. If you have the spare assets to make this sort of big splash then you just need to wait until a high caliber has a falling out with his current organization and goes on the block, and at least 1 does every season.

For all intents and purposes a guy like Tanev simply shouldn't be available in the NHL.

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
Why would Vancouver trade arguably their best defenseman?

Because fans from other teams don't understand what Benning has said here. Benning has said what he should. He isn't looking to trade him but if something comes along, he can't guarantee he won't be dealt. PK Subban for Weber is a very good example of this. NSH certainly wasn't shopping Weber before. Canucks aren't shopping Tanev here either. If they were, as many posters have pointed out, Benning and co. would be quite transparent. They don't play their cards close to their chest.

Come home Tanev.

Definitely agree with this notion. Hope he goes back to Toronto to play with Stamkos and (soon) Tavar...oh, wait.

Orca Whalers

May 24, 2013
The people here who follow the Canucks know Tanev is a solid reliable defenseman. After watching him over the course of the past couple years I do think Canucks fans over value his worth. Don't get me wrong I'm happy to have him on our team, but he's just a stay at home defenseman. He does not score nor does he play on the powerplay. I know some may disagree with my opinions. Tanev is purely one dimensional, but in a good way.

I want to keep Tanev but its hard not to seriously consider an offer of Ryan Nugent Hopkins/ Reinhart or Tyson Barrie for Tanev 1 for 1 deal.

MissionCanucksFan

Mar 2, 2014
I've never seen a more mediocre player generate more discussion around here than Tanev.

Well that's probably because you lack the eye for talent whilst wearing your homer glasses.

Tanev has HUGE respect from many sharper hockey minds than you.
I bet if he played for your team you would change your tune

sirwilliam

Assume it's sarcasm
Nov 29, 2006
Victoria
Value-wise makes sense, but not positionally. We have Hank - Sutter - Horvat - Granlund down the middle, so unless picking up RNH is a move for when Hank retires, I don't see how he fits into our line up currently.

Yeah I think it'd be planning for the future. I see Sedin - Horvat as our only two legit top 6 C for a long time to come. Hank retires in a couple of years and we'll need a replacement once he's gone.

For that reason I'd consider a deal around either RNH or Nylander.

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014

I assume you're from the eastern time zone. In that case, it'd be ~10 every time the Canucks played so I can understand why you'd have that opinion if that's the case, but at that point, it'd be a clueless opinion. So I'd like to know why you think Tanev, one of if not the best #2 in the league, is mediocre.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
A competent GM would absolutely explore the market for Tanev in the wake of the Larsson-for-Hall deal. The Canucks aren't going to compete right now, so if they can get a steep overpayment for Tanev they might just acquire a star forward from a desperate team.

On the other hand, Jim Benning.

How many teams are as desperate for defenseman as Oilers have been? Don't see many teams doing that kind of trade.

As an Oiler fan I would over pay for him . Yakupov , 2017 1st , Fayne for cap reason as we would still need a RH PMD

Klefbom Larsson
Sekera Tanev
Davidson Barrie .

Wishful thinking on my part . I guess it more of a dream about the Oilers having a good D

Yakupov who isn't a legit top 6 producer and isn't the type you want in the bottom 6 + cap dump in Fayne + 1st round pick that shouldn't be as good as years past with a top 4 defense of Klefbom,Larsson,Sekera and Tanev that isn't a overpayment.

Butcher

Dec 7, 2013
I'm 99% confident this won't happen, but on the other hand, Jim Benning.

Kane+4th+random big, gritty prospect w/ limited upside for Tanev+2nd+cap dump (one of Sbisa, Burrows, or Dorsett?)

Benning is not going to trade away Dorsett.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Why would Vancouver trade arguably their best defenseman?

Tanev is also quite a handful of years older than Larsson...but mostly, the Avs already have a top-pairing RHD. And a RH puck-moving stud behind that. They need a lefty anyway.

skyo

Benning Squad
Sep 22, 2013
CanucksCorner
canuckscorner.com

Because vancouver canucks fans are psycho lunatics, we get in every conversation in the NHL. lol

We explore every option out there for every single player we got, it just so happens Tanev holds the most value for dmen right now on our team.

The Team Canada play increased the awareness of his skillset to the eastern media finally.

Visnovsky

Aug 20, 2010
Finland
To Colorado: James VanRiemsdyk
To Vancouver: Tyson Barrie
To Toronto: Christopher Tanev

Deal? Great, thanks!

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Since Vancouver seems interested in Evander Kane maybe a larger deal between the Nucks and Sabres is doable. Tanev and Hansen for Kane and Bogosian.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad