Rumor: Benning shoots down current Tanev rumors; won't guarantee he won't be traded

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
So if Kane was issue free...you wouldn't do this deal? Are you joking?

Well, it's a pretty pointless thing to say if was issue-free because he isn't.

But no. Top pairing defencemen with great cap hits are not easy to get at all and I'd want a more quality-based package like Reinhart straight up. I know that Reinhart is worth more than Tanev but there's no reason we should move Tanev at the moment aside from an overpayment.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
To BUF:
Tanev
Burrows
Sbisa
VAN's 2017/2018 1st lottery protected deferment.

To VAN
Kane
Bogosian
Baptiste
MIN's 2nd in 2017 or BUF's 3rd in 2018 based on the 1st received.

****ing trash. Evander Kane as the core piece for Chris Tanev needs to stop being discussed, it's beyond disgusting.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
So, what is the news here?

Lol...so Benning calls Tanev's agent to 'shoot down any trade rumors' and then says there's no guarantees?...sounds like a 'definite maybe' to me:laugh:..if nothing else the entertainment value of the current Canuck braintrust is consistent.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Why would Vancouver trade arguably their best defenseman?

Benning's blueprint

Step 1. Trade defense and stack young forwards, don't worry if you lose value

Step 2. Not enough D? trade young forwards for D. don't worry if you lose value

Step 3. Goto step 1.

tony d

New poll series coming from me in June
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Yeah, if I'm Vancouver I would never ever consider trading Tanev. He's one of the lone bright spots on an overall mediocore team.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
Yeah, if I'm Vancouver I would never ever consider trading Tanev. He's one of the lone bright spots on an overall mediocore team.

I think Tanev is only dealt if we are getting an upgrade and a D who could have more offensive upside. Trouba is the only D I see that could make sense for Benning to make a trade with Tanev.

Trouba is younger and has a higher offensive ceiling, will likely have a higher cap hit, maybe Winnipeg has interest in Tanev as the main piece with something else going back with him?

Canucks can't afford to trade Tanev for a forward as we need a legit top 4 rhd coming back if he was to be dealt.

Not sure what Winnipeg would want or has a need for if they moved Trouba for Tanev+ but I would consider the deal depending on the +. Canucks would need to have some form of contract negotiations prior to the deal also.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Lol...so Benning calls Tanev's agent to 'shoot down any trade rumors' and then says there's no guarantees?...sounds like a 'definite maybe' to me:laugh:..if nothing else the entertainment value of the current Canuck braintrust is consistent.

Benning did the same thing every other GM would have done, really don't understand what all the fuss is about. I guess it's Benning though and people love to bash him on here. :laugh: Like a bunch of children really, "what Benning said something, oh it must be bad, I totally gotta be the first one to say because it's Benning":laugh::laugh::laugh:

M2Beezy

Love ya Grubster
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
What foundational player(s) has he traded away?

Besides Kesler which wasn't his fault.

Forsling WILL BE a top pairing dman in the league for many many years
Mccann has 2nd line star potential

Both gone for nothing and in case of Mccann also took with him two hi picks

DS7

Oct 9, 2013
Vancouver, BC
What foundational player(s) has he traded away?

Besides Kesler which wasn't his fault.

It wasn't but I kind of wish Benning took the Yzerman route with kes, tell him to nut up and play until a deal of sufficient value came up, otherwise expand the list of teams to facilitate a trade quicker.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Forsling MIGHT be a top pairing dman in the league for many many years

I fixed that top part for you. He is still a prospect no? Pretty much indicates that you can't say for sure what he'll be, no the trade wasn't good, but the kid is far from a sure thing.

Mcann could just as likely be a bottom sixer and we traded him for a position of need. In fact he will never be a 1st line C or 2nd line C on the Canucks, we have Horvat for that. Even 3rd line C we have Sutter for so really where would he have been a fit? Gudbranson will be a monster for this team next year and will be perfect with Hutton on our 2nd paring, curious how Gudbranson equates to nothing?

Mcann took two high picks? You do know that a 2nd rounder has a 13% chance of even being an NHL regular right? Also since when is a 4th rounder a high pick? Classic "sky is falling mentality" :laugh:

So once again I ask, which foundational players has Benning traded?

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Jared McCann was a young centre with great potential swapped for a defensive D that is mediocre at defence.

So we don't know what Mcann will be as a 19 year old, but we know what Gudbranson is as a 23 year old? You haven't even seen Gudbranson play a game as a canuck :laugh:

Last edited:

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
It wasn't but I kind of wish Benning took the Yzerman route with kes, tell him to nut up and play until a deal of sufficient value came up, otherwise expand the list of teams to facilitate a trade quicker.

Yah but your playing with fire going that route, Kesler is a ****ing baby and could have sat out the next year.

notsocommonsense

Apr 24, 2013
Forsling WILL BE a top pairing dman in the league for many many years

Wow, counting your chickens before they hatch much???

There is absolutely zero guarantee of the above and it's much more likely that both of your predictions are proven wrong than right

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad