Rumor: Benning shoots down current Tanev rumors; won't guarantee he won't be traded

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
So we don't know what Mcann will be as a 19 year old, but we know what Gudbranson is as a 23 year old? You haven't even seen Gudbranson play a game as a canuck :laugh:

You think the Canucks defensive system is better than the Panthers? Gusbranson is what he is, he's a shutdown defensemen that we really didn't need to move McCann for who has pretty good potential.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
You think the Canucks defensive system is better than the Panthers? Gusbranson is what he is, he's a shutdown defensemen that we really didn't need to move McCann for who has pretty good potential.
So you don't believe the Canucks needed an upgrade to their defence from last season? From what I saw they got exactly what they needed. A Bieksa replacement when it comes to having some balls on that back end. Guddy brings that in spades, he's a big hard hitting defenceman and he's right handed so he adds to the area most needed to be upgraded after having Yannik Weber in the Top4 for the majority of the stretch drive.
The Barrie/Vatanen types were clearly not interested in leaving their respective teams and re-upped. Would you have rather paid the price for one after the Hall/Larsson trade?

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site
Wow, counting your chickens before they hatch much???

There is absolutely zero guarantee of the above and it's much more likely that both of your predictions are proven wrong than right

this is the doom&gloom that dominates the canucks board these days ..
'benning traded away stars for nothing, which is what Gubs is, b/c analytics, etc'

Benning has done little to impress me but neither has he done anything disastrous... no Clarksons, no Halls

so far, anyway

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
'benning traded away stars for nothing, which is what Gubs is, b/c analytics, etc'

Benning has done little to impress me but neither has he done anything disastrous... no Clarksons, no Halls

so far, anyway

:handclap: This is the exact point I have been trying to make.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011

Show me where I said that?

So our blue line wasn't soft as butter last year? We didn't need a young RHD?

The guy is 23 dude, 23 how can you possibly say he is what he is, geez people act like the guy is 30.:help:

McCann has just as much potential to be a 3rd liner as he does a 2nd liner, we traded for a top 4 RHD sounds pretty worth it to me.

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site
:handclap: This is the exact point I have been trying to make.

i thought the Kesler return was pretty good, Bieksa too
didnt mind Sutter deal ...dont fault the guy for injuries
no love lost for Garrison, did squat in Vcr
dont fault the Vey experiment; was very good on that Monarchs line

did not like the Forsling move, ended up w nothing
didnt like Shink move though jury's still out

fine with Gubs deal, let's see how he pans out. Needed tough RHD

thought he shoulda gotten value at this year's TDL, though very few did
(and where is Vrbata now..?) Shoulda gotten at least a 3rd from Dal for Hammer

Sbisa and Dorsett contracts bad, but hardly crippling

overall he's been just ok, but hardly Milbury-esque as many detractors so gleefully proclaim

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
As a Rangers fan, I would do:

one of Kreider/Miller (top 6 winger) + one of Lindberg/Hayes (Top 9 Center) for Tanev. I'd add a 3rd or 4th rounder if there was a very small add coming back from Vancouver as well.

I don't watch Tanev play though. I know his stats are nice, but I've rarely watched him play. I will put that forward lol

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010

one of Kreider/Miller (top 6 winger) + one of Lindberg/Hayes (Top 9 Center) for Tanev. I'd add a 3rd or 4th rounder if there was a very small add coming back from Vancouver as well.

I don't watch Tanev play though. I know his stats are nice, but I've rarely watched him play. I will put that forward lol

Hayes + Kreider for Tanev sounds juicy, but the Canucks would have a logjam at forward

Could it be something like:

Hayes + Kreider + 6th
for
Tanev + Dorsett + 3rd?

I believe this is more or less cap-neutral

edit: forgot to add the Canucks 3rd.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell

Vancouver would be ecstatic to get Miller or Kreider +.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Hayes + Kreider for Tanev sounds juicy, but the Canucks would have a logjam at forward

Could it be something like:

Hayes + Kreider + 6th
for
Tanev + Dorsett + 3rd?

I believe this is more or less cap-neutral

edit: forgot to add the Canucks 3rd.

yeah, I think that would work. I honestly would not want to spend that much to get Tanev, but I'm pretty sure that's what it would take to get him, and he's an attractive piece.

The only other alternative offer I could come up with is swapping Hayes for one of our better D prospects, Ryan Graves in particular. That would eliminate the forward log jam on the canucks side, and provide another player for the Canucks to usher into a D position. The picks could be shuffled a bit to even out the trade. I'd only take Dorsett if Glass could go the other way though, because he's paid a lot for a 3rd/4th line tweener role, I'd probably want some salary retention on Vancouvers end on Dorsett's contract too.

Kreider + Graves + Glass + 2017 5th
FOR
Tanev + Dorsett + 2017 3rd

To be honest, I think this is even more of an overpayment by the rangers, because Graves is all but ready for top 6 D duty, and he's only 21. It'd make a lot more sense if the Rangers had something surefire in place for Shattenkirk.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Vancouver would be ecstatic to get Miller or Kreider +.

What!? No we wouldn't. I keep Tanev over either of those guys any day of the week. I haven't seen an offer in this thread so far that would make me move Tanev.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
What!? No we wouldn't. I keep Tanev over either of those guys any day of the week. I haven't seen an offer in this thread so far that would make me move Tanev.

What are you expecting? I'm not saying Tanev is old, but he will be 27 in November, his contract takes him to 31 years old (which in a vaccuum could be seen as a positive), but there is a risk his game takes a nosedive since he does not produce offensively (which is OK, but he needs to have very good defense for a long time to come if he doesn't produce offensively).

As a rangers fan, I offered a top 6 winger, a top 9 center, and a draft pick for Tanev and a better draft pick. That's pretty good for a top 4 shutdown defenseman, and about as close as you'll get to a Hall for Larsson swap. Kreider is a top 6 winger NOW, even if he tops out as a 50-55 point guy.

Unfortunately, I can't see Tanev bringing in Trouba (like some others stated) unless you add another high profile prospect like Virtanen--Winnipeg's GM is cheap and doesn't like to trade picks, just players, and he likes to rip people off (Benning might actually be his target, lol)

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
again, what are you expecting? You're not getting Trouba or Matthews for Tanev alone.

We are expecting that our top pairing shut down RH defender does not get moved!

The only way it gets considered if we get a replacement player for him and a great deal of upside elsewhere and that is not going to happen.

He can not be traded...

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
What are you expecting? I'm not saying Tanev is old, but he will be 27 in November, his contract takes him to 31 years old (which in a vaccuum could be seen as a positive), but there is a risk his game takes a nosedive since he does not produce offensively (which is OK, but he needs to have very good defense for a long time to come if he doesn't produce offensively).

As a rangers fan, I offered a top 6 winger, a top 9 center, and a draft pick for Tanev and a better draft pick. That's pretty good for a top 4 shutdown defenseman, and about as close as you'll get to a Hall for Larsson swap. Kreider is a top 6 winger NOW, even if he tops out as a 50-55 point guy.

Unfortunately, I can't see Tanev bringing in Trouba (like some others stated) unless you add another high profile prospect like Virtanen--Winnipeg's GM is cheap and doesn't like to trade picks, just players, and he likes to rip people off (Benning might actually be his target, lol)

He will never be a PP quarterback or anything but his offense has gotten better every year, I have no idea why his game would take a nosedive because of his lack of offense either, can you explain that?

We have absolutely no reason to trade Tanev, NONE, if you want him it will take an overpayment, which is pretty much what Benning has already stated. The offer you gave is not an overpayment. Tanev is a top pairing RHD, which are hard to come by.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan

so far, anyway

I don't know ... Sbisa was a train wreck from Day 1 ... and continuing to trade away high picks when your team is finishing at the bottom of the league to shore up a failed system screams foolhardy.

If the only definition of failing is if they set a new standard of bad, then I think we're being a bit forgiving.

The best I can give to Benning and Co is that they've made a few average moves. That's simply not close to good enough.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

We are expecting that our top pairing shut down RH defender does not get moved!

The only way it gets considered if we get a replacement player for him and a great deal of upside elsewhere and that is not going to happen.

He can not be traded...

Such deals rarely happen. Subban for Weber was lopsided no matter how you slice it. Jones for Johansen was a Defenseman<-->Forward swap

YOu trade Tanev you're going for a high end forward and some assets. You'd have to make another package of a forward + futures into a trade to get your Tanev replacement

Either way, not a single Canucks fan has provided what they would consider an "overpayment"... Really on the ball here guys!

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
He will never be a PP quarterback or anything but his offense has gotten better every year, I have no idea why his game would take a nosedive because of his lack of offense either, can you explain that?

We have absolutely no reason to trade Tanev, NONE, if you want him it will take an overpayment, which is pretty much what Benning has already stated. The offer you gave is not an overpayment. Tanev is a top pairing RHD, which are hard to come by.

my point was that since he doesn't provide much offense, his defense has to make up for that.

For instance, Jonas Brodin. Good player, no offensive upside. Once he starts to decline defensively, he'll be as good as a traffic cone.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
call me stupid but how does one "shoot down trade rumours, then say 'no guarantee" he wont be traded? wouldn't that stoke fires, not put them out?

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
call me stupid but how does one "shoot down trade rumours, then say 'no guarantee" he wont be traded? wouldn't that stoke fires, not put them out?

There is no player in the league that is untradeable, if the right deal comes along.

If some team came along and was willing to give up something ridiculous for Tanev why wouldn't Benning consider it? That is all Benning was saying.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
i thought the Kesler return was pretty good, Bieksa too
didnt mind Sutter deal ...dont fault the guy for injuries
no love lost for Garrison, did squat in Vcr
dont fault the Vey experiment; was very good on that Monarchs line

did not like the Forsling move, ended up w nothing
didnt like Shink move though jury's still out

fine with Gubs deal, let's see how he pans out. Needed tough RHD

thought he shoulda gotten value at this year's TDL, though very few did
(and where is Vrbata now..?) Shoulda gotten at least a 3rd from Dal for Hammer

Sbisa and Dorsett contracts bad, but hardly crippling

overall he's been just ok, but hardly Milbury-esque as many detractors so gleefully proclaim

I just don't understand how you look at these moves on one page, see how the team has performed and somehow not come out disappointed with both the direction and style of moves.

This feeling that moves have to be "crippling" before it's valid to point out how bad they are, seems unusual to me.

Vrbata and Hamhuis both point to a group that's not got their fingers on the pulse of both the team and what's going on around them.

That's a terrible assessment of Garrison.

Agree about Bieksa ... that was a decent return.

I don't like the move for Gudbranson, not so much for the value alone, but because he targeted a player that's no longer that effective in the league. That said, there are a lot who still feel as you do, so we'll see how it plays out. I'll be very pleased to be wrong on this one.

Another thing you've missed, is that Benning bleeds assets in almost every single deal he makes. He overpays for everything, and for a guy that's all about drafting, he's traded away more high picks than any previous management team while leading it to the bottom of the league.

I find it bizarre that Benning still has supporters.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad