Rumor: Benning shoots down current Tanev rumors; won't guarantee he won't be traded

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
when Benning is your GM you know the return is gonna suck tho

This . Benning is going to be Benning . He is the Eakins of GM's but there always the old saying or quote for Dallas Eakins . The Canuck are visually better , but only on paper

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
A competent GM would absolutely explore the market for Tanev in the wake of the Larsson-for-Hall deal. The Canucks aren't going to compete right now, so if they can get a steep overpayment for Tanev they might just acquire a star forward from a desperate team.

On the other hand, Jim Benning.

As an Oiler fan I would over pay for him . Yakupov , 2017 1st , Fayne for cap reason as we would still need a RH PMD

Klefbom Larsson
Sekera Tanev
Davidson Barrie .

Wishful thinking on my part . I guess it more of a dream about the Oilers having a good D

farshi

Feb 28, 2012
As an Oiler fan I would over pay for him . Yakupov , 2017 1st , Fayne for cap reason as we would still need a RH PMD

Klefbom Larsson
Sekera Tanev
Davidson Barrie .

Wishful thinking on my part . I guess it more of a dream about the Oilers having a good D

yak+1st is overpayment?

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
I'm confused. Somebody help me out here.

Those tweets suggest the following; Benning called Tanev and his agent to "shoot down"(deny?) rumors of him being traded. However, he told them he might still get traded... but he doesn't want to do it.

What exactly was the point of calling Tanev and his agent?

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
He's not getting traded.

Very few players in the league are "guaranteed" no-trade anyways.

Just means that they're not looking to trade him, but if some crazy offer comes along he'll look at it.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I've never seen a more mediocre player generate more discussion around here than Tanev.

You must be watching a kid player that is has a Tanev jersey . Because you description of him sure does not match up with the games I seen him play . He is a very steady Shut down D . Probably a number 2 or 3 D as shut down D don't seem to get the respect unless they are putting up 40 + points to boot

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
You must be watching a kid player that is has a Tanev jersey . Because you description of him sure does not match up with the games I seen him play . He is a very steady Shut down D . Probably a number 2 or 3 D as shut down D don't seem to get the respect unless they are putting up 40 + points to boot

Chris Tanev has a younger brother who is a tweener for the Jets. It's clearly who he meant since he must have never seen Chris play.
But that Yak & 1st offer is possibly the weakest overpayment claim I've seen. 30 point 3RW's who are scorers and not 2way guys aren't worth much. Look at Kyle Wellwood and where he is.
Adding Tanev to an Oilers defence would actually push them into closer to the playoffs than the Flames and the 4 spot in the pacific is wide open. So as long as they stay pace with the central that 4 spot will be sought after this season. Tanev would make that 1st a 10-15 pick most likely. Not nearly enough to replace Tanev's Impact to the Canucks defence.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016

Klefbom Larsson
Sekera Tanev
Davidson Barrie .

That's very far from an overpayment.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
I've never seen a more mediocre player generate more discussion around here than Tanev.

He's not the flashiest player by any means but he is a top 4 dman that will eat up huge minutes and is a good shut down player.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
WHat is the situation with Tanev...when he says he doesnt want to trade him ...why is there even a discussion? is he pending UFA or something?

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Only way moving Tanev could make some sense is if they have a deal in place to acquire Tyson Barrie. Would depend on what the asking price for Barrie is and what they could get in return for Tanev, but with Benning and Co. in charge, I don't like the potential of either scenario.

Even then, it wouldn't make sense. Don't they need more defensive depth? I don't even know who they have after Tanev and Edler anymore.

M2Beezy

Love ya Grubster
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I can see Benning trading Tanev and a 2nd to chicago for Campbell and a 3rd. Sad but possible :shakehead

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Only way moving Tanev could make some sense is if they have a deal in place to acquire Tyson Barrie. Would depend on what the asking price for Barrie is and what they could get in return for Tanev, but with Benning and Co. in charge, I don't like the potential of either scenario.

I could see the Avs wanting a guy like Tanev in return for Barrie, so that isn't and awful reach of an idea. I think there isn't a 1 for 1 deal there, but a solid base for a deal

eviohh26*

This . Benning is going to be Benning . He is the Eakins of GM's but there always the old saying or quote for Dallas Eakins . The Canuck are visually better , but only on paper

Didn't your GM just trade Taylor Hall for Larsson ? Am i missing something here?

eviohh26*

WHat is the situation with Tanev...when he says he doesnt want to trade him ...why is there even a discussion? is he pending UFA or something?

Media has created a Buzz around Tanev. Talking about should Canucks trade him ect. Then it gets blown out of proportion in Vancouver's media and Benning is forced to address it.

Smeagoal

Jun 12, 2015
In my dreams
I could see the Avs wanting a guy like Tanev in return for Barrie, so that isn't and awful reach of an idea. I think there isn't a 1 for 1 deal there, but a solid base for a deal

So do I, the basis for a trade is there, but finding the extra pieces is going to be difficult.

Braeden

Jul 14, 2009

Teams are interested but Benning hasn't come across a deal that makes sense to move Tanev.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad