Rumor: Benning shoots down current Tanev rumors; won't guarantee he won't be traded

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
I'm confused. Somebody help me out here.

Those tweets suggest the following; Benning called Tanev and his agent to "shoot down"(deny?) rumors of him being traded. However, he told them he might still get traded... but he doesn't want to do it.

What exactly was the point of calling Tanev and his agent?

Not actively trying to do it and I won't do it unless I get an offer I can't refuse.

Or BS until he gets a deal done and goes Bergevin style ..

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
didn't he say the same for mccann?

No. Even from the beginning McCann was never part of the youth movement marketing they were doing.

This isn't really news though, he's not being shopped but any player is available for the right price. Also inb4 "lol its Benning so he will mess it up".

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
so basically he is saying what almost every GM would say? ..... No we aren't planning on trading player X, but anything can happen

this seems like it shouldn't be a thread

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
I think some teams were impressed with his play at a tournament earlier this Summer. That might have led to some calls but I doubt Canucks shopped him.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
WHat is the situation with Tanev...when he says he doesnt want to trade him ...why is there even a discussion? is he pending UFA or something?

There have been rumours about Tanev being traded, and Benning's management team has always been pretty transparent with guys they're trying to move. Look at Shinkaruk and McCann, you'd think a team would covet and hold onto some of their top prospects, but there was a ton of smoke blowing that these guys were going to be moved for months leading up to the trade.

It's a mess Benning has created himself, so when he isn't actually trying to trade someone he needs to address it. Like I said though he's very transparent, what you can take from those tweets is that he's not shopping Tanev but if the opportunity comes up for a player that causes a twinkle in his eye (which as good as he is Tanev doesn't) he won't hesitate to pull the trigger.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I think some teams were impressed with his play at a tournament earlier this Summer. That might have led to some calls but I doubt Canucks shopped him.

GM's were already well aware before the tournament he is a top dman.... it's majority of rival fans that realized how good he is now since his play at the tournament.

when his Team Canada teammates praised the hell out of him after the tourney, it really put his name on the map for rival fans to know who he is... Here were a few quotes from teammates following the tourney...

After Russian president Vladimir Putin put the gold medals around the necks of Team Canada following the squad’s clinical 2-0 shutout win over Finland at the World Championship in Moscow on May 22, Connor McDavid was asked if his group of teammates included an unsung hero, who may not have earned as much praise as he deserved. “It's tough to single one out,†said McDavid, whose only goal of the tournament proved to be the gold-medal winner. “I think one that comes to mind is Chris Tanev. He was unbelievable defensively and all over the ice. It was the whole group effort. We had 23 guys who were just amazing.â€

“I was flying back with (Tanev’s defence partner) Morgan Rielly and we were talking about just how good of a player he is,†Montreal Canadiens winger Brendan Gallagher told TSN1040 in Vancouver. “He was so consistent for us night after night.â€

“On defense, I was pretty impressed with Tanev,†two-way demon Mark Stone of the Ottawa Senators concurred. “You look at his numbers, I think he gets 20-25 points a year, but he does a lot of things that help your team win. He was probably our most steady defenceman from a defensive perspective all tournaent.â€

Mad Brills*

If tanev put up more points I wouldn't hate a nylander for him deal.

Frankie Blueberries

Dream Team
Jan 27, 2016
#dimJim. You kinda missed the joke.

Just because a GM is stupid doesn't mean it should ruin any decent conversation about Tanev's value. I got the joke, it's just become incredibly stale over the last year or so. You might as well reply with "your mom", it's the same type of input here.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Just because a GM is stupid doesn't mean it should ruin any decent conversation about Tanev's value. I got the joke, it's just become incredibly stale over the last year or so. You might as well reply with "your mom", it's the same type of input here.

It shouldn't ruinthe conversation, but it does.
Why you ask? Because that's reality.
The GM's involved in trades absolutely impact value. Some are hard ass negotiators and some are soft push-overs, with bad judgement of values.

The later happens to be your GM.

Your mom. ;)

Jeremy2020

Dec 27, 2005
Austin, TX
How would Benning know if Tanev is going to be traded? Benning doesn't know what Benning is doing so I wouldn't put a lot of weight to this.

Frankie Blueberries

Dream Team
Jan 27, 2016
It shouldn't ruinthe conversation, but it does.
Why you ask? Because that's reality.
The GM's involved in trades absolutely impact value. Some are hard ass negotiators and some are soft push-overs, with bad judgement of values.

The later happens to be your GM.

Your mom. ;)

I don't care who the GM is, this is a message board where fans argue the value, not the GMs. Unless there are GMs posting here, your post doesn't make much sense. Now stop rehashing the same jokes that thousands of people have already made here and come up with original material :)

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
didn't he say the same for mccann?

This is the quote you are referring to.

"Bo Horvat will be part of that group. Jake Virtanen will be part of that group. Ben Hutton and Jacob Markstrom are part of that group. Jared McCann has a chance to be a part of that group. Sven Baertschi will be a part of that group. We’ve got Thatcher Demko coming, and he’s going to be part of that core group. We have Brock Boeser, who has had a helluva year in college hockey."

And when he singles out one of those guys, it's quite obvious that they're not staying.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad