Rumor: Benning has green light to make a trade and is working the phones. Trying to fix "chemistry"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Would a trade built around Petterson and Laf , make sense for both sides?

That would be Zibanejad trade 2.0 for the Rangers, total steal. Pettersson isn't a superstar yet but he's still a very good young player capable of 30+ goals every year in his prime along with near PPG totals. Laf is just 3 years younger and hasn't done much.

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site
That would be Zibanejad trade 2.0 for the Rangers, total steal. Pettersson isn't a superstar yet but he's still a very good young player capable of 30+ goals every year in his prime along with near PPG totals. Laf is just 3 years younger and hasn't done much.
well, its actually pretty close id say.
Laf has better pedigree, but hasnt proven it yet.
Noone recently outproduced EP in first 2 years but McD and Matthews, of course he's slumping bigtime with this junior jinx, or whatever it is.
Problem is it doesnt work positionally for the Canucks. EP is (should be) that 1st line C every team desperately needs, and a top2 C of Horvat-Miller is just not as sexy.
I would reluctantly pass as a Canucks fan, but this is the most value ive seen in an EP proposal.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Maybe because he actually is more productive, you know Miller has never scored or paced for 40 goals in his life. Jakes playoffs are better, and to top it all off...he's also signed to one more season than Miller. You may want to look at games played and not point total lines.

Really, you should be running away laughing at the deal.

When do guys who score 40 goals or pace for it, near a point per game, cost 6.0?
When your name is JT Miller, you play all 3 forward positions, your cap hit is $5.25 per year and your stats are
2019-20Vancouver CanucksNHL 692745721147|PLAYOFFS1761218314
2020-21Vancouver CanucksNHL 53153146-743|
2021-22Vancouver CanucksNHL 197121918|
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
That's 137pts in 141 games as a Canuck or 0.97 ppg and 1.06 ppg in the playoffs.
Miller also pk's, takes the second most faceoffs on the team and has a 56.8% win percentage.

This is by no means a slight on Guentzal, but I still wouldn't have the interest in a 1 for 1 swap. As I said in my original post I value the positional flexibility, the style of play (he's more physical, a skilled grinder). He moves around the line up allowing for line mis-matches, he's top 6 center depth. THere are a lot of reasons I wouldn't make that deal. Pacing for 40 goals is great but goals are one aspect of the game, and since scoring isn't a weakness of Millers so far as a Canuck I wouldn't want to lose the other attributes in order to add goals but sacrifice in other areas

M2Beezy

Love ya Grubster
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Lovely. Internal discord and tension. I’m sure that ends well.

Well run team with a beauty of a GM
Jim-Benning-Canucks-1.jpg

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Kevin Fiala for JT Miller?
No interest in trading our ppg C/W signed for 2 seasons for a player that is less productive, less positional flexibility and in need of a new (bigger) contract after this season. Not a good deal for the Canucks at all.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
No interest in trading our ppg C/W signed for 2 seasons for a player that is less productive, less positional flexibility and in need of a new (bigger) contract after this season. Not a good deal for the Canucks at all.

I can appreciate why you'd want to keep Miller, but for those same reasons, if Canucks do blow things up, he's one of the first people that people are going to ask about. The question becomes, what will the Canucks do? Try and "Fix the Chemistry", or do some sort of rebuild, moving out guys 27 and older... maybe even 25 and older... You would hope, that if they opt for the rebuild of some sorts (and you hope they do), that they'd put someone competent in charge to do it.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
I can appreciate why you'd want to keep Miller, but for those same reasons, if Canucks do blow things up, he's one of the first people that people are going to ask about. The question becomes, what will the Canucks do? Try and "Fix the Chemistry", or do some sort of rebuild, moving out guys 27 and older... maybe even 25 and older... You would hope, that if they opt for the rebuild of some sorts (and you hope they do), that they'd put someone competent in charge to do it.
Sure, I shutter at the thought that the brain trust that has built this current team could make trades to fix chemistry, but trading away a player for a lesser player and nothing else isn't the way to fix the Canucks. Here take our better player for your lesser player, that needs a new contract that will be higher than the better players we are trading away...wait a minute, Jim is that you?

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
After watching an interview by Benning it sounds like he's likely going to make a few minor trades/acquisitions. You know... tinkering.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Sure, I shutter at the thought that the brain trust that has built this current team could make trades to fix chemistry, but trading away a player for a lesser player and nothing else isn't the way to fix the Canucks. Here take our better player for your lesser player, that needs a new contract that will be higher than the better players we are trading away...wait a minute, Jim is that you?

If you are trading Miller, it's for futures... prospects or picks... It's for a rebuild. No chance you'd make a trade for Fiala alone. Fiala and Jack McBain for example, might be worth looking at.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Benning doesn't have the balls to make a trade that will fix team chemistry. Why should he? His job is relatively secure and why take a chance on a blockbuster trade that could blow up in his face? Better to do nothing and hope for the best.
Sorry Canuck fans... what you see, with the exception of a few possible minor changes, is what you get.

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
Instead of the massive offers for someone like EP40 to NYR, what would Vancouver want for Halak? Georgiev is a horrific option as backup, and the Rangers need a significant upgrade there if they’re going to hope for sustained success this season

Scorvat

Mar 17, 2015
Instead of the massive offers for someone like EP40 to NYR, what would Vancouver want for Halak? Georgiev is a horrific option as backup, and the Rangers need a significant upgrade there if they’re going to hope for sustained success this season

a 3rd or 4th would be nice but Halak has a NMC and bonuses for next year

Reactions: Mac n Gs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad