Rumor: Benning has green light to make a trade and is working the phones. Trying to fix "chemistry"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Benning should not make another trade again, his ass will be fired soon enough.

The most noise in the news Benning has this year was his son getting beat up in downtown Vancouver because he was stirring up shit.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
If you are trading Miller, it's for futures... prospects or picks... It's for a rebuild. No chance you'd make a trade for Fiala alone. Fiala and Jack McBain for example, might be worth looking at.
If we're rebuilding I would prefer picks, prospects and players on their 1st or 2nd contracts. Fiala is going into his 3rd contract and looking for a big long term deal. McBain isn't the deal maker for me either. I believe he is an unsigned college player in his 4th year. He has been pretty good at BC but hasn't been a standout at the college level until this season D+4. I'm not convinced McBain will transition into sure fire NHLer. Finally moving our best trade chip to improve winger depth seems counter productive. If we move Miller we still have Hoglander, Podkolzin, Garland, Boeser and even Pearson. Our 2 top forward prospects are wingers (Lockwood and Klimovich). So I just don't see a scenario where Miller for Fiala and a maybe prospect are either good value for Miller or overly helpful in the event of a full rebuild (which I don't think the Canucks will do).

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
Not a chemistry issue, its a Management and coaching issue... The owners hiring rookie after rookie GM, coach, coach, president etc are the reason why we are spinning our wheels and headed in the REVERSE direction instead of going FORWARD...

M2Beezy

Love ya Grubster
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Benning doesn't have the balls to make a trade that will fix team chemistry. Why should he? His job is relatively secure and why take a chance on a blockbuster trade that could blow up in his face? Better to do nothing and hope for the best.
Sorry Canuck fans... what you see, with the exception of a few possible minor changes, is what you get.
I dont think its a testicular issue, more of a intelligence problem for Benning

Screen-Shot-2019-06-27-at-2.16.49-PM.png

Reactions: Canuck86 and likash

platotld

Fly Canucks Fly
Jun 18, 2014
Fraser valley
"Mentions how there are factions developing and people are starting to align with people who they think are safe."

Who da fuk is safe? ! ?

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Vancouvers organization is so incomprehensibly inept. Stinks of Chiarelli signing Koskinen.

On paper they have great F depth, the D is weak sure (thanks to Benning), but they have Demko who is a great goalie. They need to bring in a new GM and let him hire his coach. Give that a go before panic trading a quality player.

Benning has had 8 years and everytime I hear him speak im convinced he has no clue what he's doing.

That's really the Jim Benning special. 8 seasons running the team, and the only time the defense/blue line in one season was better than the prior was when Hughes joined the team. To add that extra special touch I believe the Canucks blue line is the 2nd most expensive in the league this season.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
When your name is JT Miller, you play all 3 forward positions, your cap hit is $5.25 per year and your stats are
2019-20Vancouver CanucksNHL692745721147|PLAYOFFS1761218314
2020-21Vancouver CanucksNHL53153146-743|
2021-22Vancouver CanucksNHL197121918|
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
That's 137pts in 141 games as a Canuck or 0.97 ppg and 1.06 ppg in the playoffs.
Miller also pk's, takes the second most faceoffs on the team and has a 56.8% win percentage.

This is by no means a slight on Guentzal, but I still wouldn't have the interest in a 1 for 1 swap. As I said in my original post I value the positional flexibility, the style of play (he's more physical, a skilled grinder). He moves around the line up allowing for line mis-matches, he's top 6 center depth. THere are a lot of reasons I wouldn't make that deal. Pacing for 40 goals is great but goals are one aspect of the game, and since scoring isn't a weakness of Millers so far as a Canuck I wouldn't want to lose the other attributes in order to add goals but sacrifice in other areas

I have no issue with your preference, but value when "you" don't have any choice in the matter, I'm keeping Guentzel because you have more control and that difference in cost factors has him around for two seasons more for a difference of .750 and -0- because Miller won't be getting 5.250 next time. He might not even be there by either walking or trade. He could re-sign, a year is a good amount of time to right the ship.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
I have no issue with your preference, but value when "you" don't have any choice in the matter, I'm keeping Guentzel because you have more control and that difference in cost factors has him around for two seasons more for a difference of .750 and -0- because Miller won't be getting 5.250 next time. He might not even be there by either walking or trade. He could re-sign, a year is a good amount of time to right the ship.
Not 2 seasons more than Miller - 1 season more than Miller. Regardless if the Canucks are moving Miller, replacing him with a less versatile winger of similar age and cap makes zero sense.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Not 2 seasons more than Miller - 1 season more than Miller. Regardless if the Canucks are moving Miller, replacing him with a less versatile winger of similar age and cap makes zero sense.

Yes, that was the Pens have Jake for two seasons more at those two values. Like I said, makes no sense, but the times don't reflect a team to help the Canucks out at fair value. You might not like it or have any choice in the matter, whomever the team is looking in on him.

I fully am okay with you holding onto him. :thumbu:

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Yes, that was the Pens have Jake for two seasons more at those two values. Like I said, makes no sense, but the times don't reflect a team to help the Canucks out at fair value. You might not like it or have any choice in the matter, whomever the team is looking in on him.

I fully am okay with you holding onto him. :thumbu:
I have been saying since the end of last year I would trade Miller. His value is high, he plays a style teams like for the playoffs, he's versatile and being able to play top 6 C adds value. I also feel he is a little too old to be part of the Canucks core and his value will never be higher. With that said, I would be looking for players under 25 - RHD, RHD, RHD, C, C, w, lhd would be my priorities. Preferably a player and a pick or a straight up swap of players with similar values, but use Miller as an asset for improve the team, not have it continue in a spiral of blah!

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Even if JT Miller is the cancer that’s taking down that room. Doesn’t Benning deserve responsibility still for bringing him in? Did they do no due diligence on this sociopath?

moog35

Jul 25, 2007
Benning should not make another trade again, his ass will be fired soon enough.

The most noise in the news Benning has this year was his son getting beat up in downtown Vancouver because he was stirring up shit.
What evidence do you have that his son was “stirring up shit”? By all accounts he was jumped. That’s quite the accusation you’re making

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
What evidence do you have that his son was “stirring up shit”? By all accounts he was jumped. That’s quite the accusation you’re making

Basing it off of the time it happened and where most likely... People shouldn't jump to conclusions or bring someones kids into it regardless of the kids age. Could he have, sure of course...but we will likely never know unless you are related to said person or are a cop working the situation

Reactions: elitepete

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
Im surprised I haven't heard of a trade yet.

Vancouver has probably one of the worst pro scouting divisions in the league

just say you have a right shot defenseman and Benning will probably give up an asset worth 5x more

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018

Well, by his sisters account.

I'm not saying he was at fault, but his sisters account seems preeeeetty spotty. She also said they almost killed him but the police let him find his own way to the hospital, for one.

It's rare for any type of confrontation to be that black and white. I suspect they interacted before the attack. Obviously, regardless of what he said, he almost certainly didn't deserve to be beaten that badly, and the attackers were in the wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad