Bedard rookie predictions

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Happyhary9

Jul 11, 2006
Did Crosby and McDavid have this many haters when they came into the league, or is this a Hawks thing? I see so many people rooting against Bedard.
Crosby did. Vocal people said the same thing after Pitt won the lottery and the dream of their team getting him died remember every team was in the lottery that year.

Some people said the same as Bedard. To short/small. Doesn't have blazing speed. Yada Yada Yada.

McDavid wasn't as bad it was Edm, and less teams had a crack at him.

With Bedard it is a combo of things. The big bad NHL rigged it for the big market. The big bad we are so perfect people all of a sudden think Chicago should have to forfeit the pick over the Beach scandal. Oh that and twitter today loves a good drama.

Reactions: authentic

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
Part of it is projecting how their skills translate to the NHL. Bedard is obviously the better goal scoring talent, but he's not the playmaker that Crosby or McDavid are. He's also smaller and his skating isn't as good. Crosby was already very strong on his skates and along the boards as an 18 year old. He could have played in the NHL at 16. As is Crosby had the best 18 year old season in NHL history. Expecting that from Bedard is going to result in disappointment imo.

Bedard is 2cm and 7 pounds smaller then Crosby. He had a a very impressive combine showing his elite athleticism strength.

Connor's pre-draft resume may be the best of any cap era player. Certainly Crosby, McDavid and Bedard are in a league of their own. To think he won't have similar rookie success is odd.

macbowes

Aug 1, 2022
Victoria
Bedard is going to be prolific in the NHL. He thinks the game at an elite level, and has the hands and shot to execute in traffic plays that will stand out in the NHL, with extreme consistency. He will have to adjust to the speed and size of his opponents, but he's going to outsmart them, just like he has his opponents all his life. He will have very low defensive expectations put on him, and the team will be more than happy to do whatever they can to get him the Calder.

My guess is 36-40-76 in 76 GP.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Bedard is 2cm and 7 pounds smaller then Crosby. He had a a very impressive combine showing his elite athleticism strength.

Connor's pre-draft resume may be the best of any cap era player. Certainly Crosby, McDavid and Bedard are in a league of their own. To think he won't have similar rookie success is odd.
I'm rooting for him, just a bit wary about the Crosby and McDavid comparisons since he's more goal focused than playmaking focused. Goalies are way better in the NHL - to put up gaudy point totals he's going to have to be an elite playmaker too.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I'm rooting for him, just a bit wary about the Crosby and McDavid comparisons since he's more goal focused than playmaking focused. Goalies are way better in the NHL - to put up gaudy point totals he's going to have to be an elite playmaker too.

He is an elite playmaker

Fraser28

Jan 13, 2013

The good news is he’s an incredible playmaker too.

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
11 points in first 3 games followed by a devastating foot injury. Over the next 4 years he’ll get 300 points in 100 games, missing many games as they try to make a skate for his foot; a Forsberg special of sorts, or a DeGrom equivalent

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
I don't think McDavid necessarily dominated in his rookie season. He was very good though.

We will never know if he reaches 100 points because of the injury etc.
He was dominant as a rookie. He finished 3rd in points per game (behind prime Kane and Benn, who was the previous Art Ross winner, and above Crosby). He did it with Benoit Pouliot and Yakupov as his linemates.

There's a reason why most hockey journals predicted he'd be a top 2 player in his sophomore season

Bedard should be similar based off projections

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
Doesn't sound very smart to me, but yeah if he disappoints they will certainly be there to say they told you so. Only way that happens is if he's injured though.
Yeah that's the only way I see it happening too. The kid is just too good to only put up a measly 60 points

Reactions: authentic

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Bedard is going to be prolific in the NHL. He thinks the game at an elite level, and has the hands and shot to execute in traffic plays that will stand out in the NHL, with extreme consistency. He will have to adjust to the speed and size of his opponents, but he's going to outsmart them, just like he has his opponents all his life. He will have very low defensive expectations put on him, and the team will be more than happy to do whatever they can to get him the Calder.

My guess is 36-40-76 in 76 GP.
I think a PPG season is possible and would be a great accomplishment.

HF007

Sep 9, 2008
Patrick Kane was a smaller player and got 72 points in a lower scoring era, I think he can match that

Zero Requiem

Only death is eternal
Jul 3, 2014
Patrick Kane was a smaller player and got 72 points in a lower scoring era, I think he can match that
Is that really enough for a player who is supposedly a prospect at the level of Crosby and McDavid? McDavid was on pace for a top 3 scoring finish as a rookie.

HF007

Sep 9, 2008
Is that really enough for a player who is supposedly a prospect at the level of Crosby and McDavid? McDavid was on pace for a top 3 scoring finish as a rookie.
Yeah good point, I’m thinking in terms of a floor.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
I would re-sign Pat Kane and bring him back to Chicago. Even at 34 years old, Kane can teach Bedard a lot of things. No way can a rookie Bedard dangle like an aging Kane.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Okay, I‘ll throw my lump of you-know-what at the wall and see if it sticks: Chicago sucks, but entering the league with no pressure to carry that team anywhere and with Taylor Hall on the wing (who might be aging but still has got wheels and in the right place - like with a star center like Bedard ought to be - could thrive), Bedard will have a Calder-worthy rookie season with 36 goals, 48 assists, for a total of 84 points.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad